don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    what the hell is up with the brass in Sweet Mountain there. it sounds like they brought the highs way up and just mixed the lows right out of it, which makes it sound super tinny and awful, like it's being performed with kazoos. (original for comparison)

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

The sad thing is that the Mass Effect Legendary Edition remasters are, while not perfect, pretty great all things considered. Meanwhile either Sega gave Blind Squirrel no real direction or solid idea of how to handle Colors, or this was a backburner project or some such and hit hard by it. Almost everything is compromised in some way or another.

3. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Don't know if this has been brought up yet but do we know if Colours Ultimate will have closed captions/subtitles for the Eggman PA announcements? Also, if Tails is going to talk to you and give hints in-game they should have subtitles for that too. The footage I've seen so far doesn't seem to include any subtitles or closed captions.

This kinda thing usually ends up as an oversight so I'm hoping it's not forgotten :/

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sweet Mountain's music sounds terrible, which is too bad. The actual stage doesn't look that bad, however. Overall I'm a bit disappointed with how the art style hasn't made the transition gracefully in certain levels, but I still think the port looks alright. There's at least some effort going into it with the new modes and changes, and it looks like the most important part - how the game actually plays - is still good.

One thing that's confusing me is that some gameplay footage is using remixed music, while other footage is using the original music, even in the same stages. Maybe the music will be an option? I'm baffled.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Well, to go in the opposite direction, do we know if the option to disable subtitles will be there? I absolutely loathe when games won't let you disable subtitles. In particular, it baffles me to no end that Adventure let you do it but Adventure 2 and several games following didn't.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Wow, they butchered the music. Why did they butcher the music? Is this some weird kinda....brand homogeny sort of thing?

Tropical Resort looks better...but the ridiculous bloom in everything seen so far is still burning out details and I don't like it. Except in Starlight Carnival.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't think the new tracks are completely awful but def a case of "the original was fine why change it?" The way you all hyped up the music sucking I was expecting like, Yoshi's New Island or Sonic Chronicles lol

I will admit though, the sound mixing is ass. Why are the sound effects so jarringly loud sometimes?

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Wow. Not even the OST is as good as the original. Sega what have you done? o.o

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    2003 "Look at all those Eggman robots"
    2021 "Uh oh that switch just released the Eggman robots"

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've been pretty lenient on this game but ugh even I can't defend this: https://twitter.com/Goalringmod27/status/1405286200764624898?s=19

Like that just looks wrong. Sonic's lighting is still being effected by the outside sun that doesn't make any sense (although tbf I never quite understood the purpose of this tunnel. In this land of sweets and stuff what's this like, airport terminal hallway doing here)

Sweet Mountain confirmed to be Eggman's chemical weapons factory disguised as food. Keeps the government off his ass.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Lmao the lighting is actually more physically correct in the Wii version. Just look at the pipes along the wall!

This has got to be a joke. Or an early build. Or both.

12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've not been commenting because I didn't want to be a negative nancy. But here we go, I think this looks absolutely awful and won't be buying it. I think we have reached a new standard of retro remasters and this early 2000s nonsense just doesn't cut it. If it's worse than the original I just won't play it.

I'm looking forward to Origins though, which is promising.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Sonic Colors Ultimate: Now the visuals are as bland as the gameplay!

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya like in the Wii version the pipes blend in with the wall, here the connection is so jarring and wrong looking. It's very unfortunate.

Maybe this is an earlier build? Idk, the footage for this remaster has been wildly inconsistent. I'm not holding my breath that they'll fix a lot of this stuff over the summer, maybe some of it. But hey, PC version? That's where the fans come in and fix what's broken lol

15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I find it kinda funny how we're polar opposites on leaving subtitles turned on

I have a brother who's deaf, so the subtitles just always stayed on for us at home. For me it's weird whenever a game doesn't have subtitles for spoken dialogue. I swear I've developed a sixth sense for spotting it, it'll always be the first thing on my mind lol.

Just kinda bums me out that it's not always a top priority but what can you do I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To their credit, SEGA are usually pretty good at including subtitles. They even added subs in Sonic Adventure, during an era where a lot of developers didn't even think to do that kinda thing.

(but yeah there should always be an option to disable if people don't want them)

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

The Sonic account just uploaded this remix of Aquarium Park Act 1. I like this remix personally.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The original Aquarium Park Act 1 is one of my favourite Sonic tracks of all time, and thankfully this remix is really up to standard. I like this a lot. I can't say I prefer to the original, but I have no problems with it either. Replacing some of the lead synths with traditional instruments (I wanna say a shamisen but honestly I've no idea) has paid off. The second chorus doesn't hit as hard as the original's second chorus however, and that's kind of sad cause it was my favourite part. It still sounds great however. What a relief that is.

But still... remixing the soundtrack was not essential at all. It's a risky move and as far as Sweet Mountain is concerned it's backfired hard. Tropical Resort doesn't sound too hot either. I hope the original soundtrack is still available on a toggle.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    People keep saying there will be an option between the original soundtrack and the remixes but I've yet to see a source for this. I mean it'd certainly make sense to include said option. Plus it's a good fail safe. If people don't like the remixes they can go back to the original soundtrack and then no one's upset.

The Crash N.Sane trilogy didn't have a soundtrack toggle like Spyro Reignited did, and in that aspect Spyro wins for including the option. And this game has a similar issue to Crash in that the remixes are questionable

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    The Aquarium Park remix is fine, but after Sweet Mountain I’m just really bummed out on the new OST. Even Aquarium Park feels like it’s adding bits and pieces in just for the sake of being a remix.

And yeah the graphics on what we’ve seen so far are just hugely inconsistent. Not to mention we’ve seen levels from every part of the game except Terminal Velocity, so who’s to say these are all running on the same build? At this point I suppose I’m just hoping against hope that things aren’t as bad as at first blush.

Also @Dark Sonic , to answer your question on the tunnels in Sweet Mountain: Service tunnels that are meant to be out of reach to the public and that exist for park staff to use in order to get around quickly or perform ride maintenance.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @Starduster ya that makes sense. Service tunnels.

I'm an idiot :eng99: