don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Truth be told I wouldn't mind even the SEGA AGES type spruced up emulation style so long as we get a reasonable amount of QOL extras. Taxman ports are obviously the gold standard but SEGA AGES as well many fan projects shown there are other things to add to the mix that can still be done with the original ROMs.

Just...please....add Tails' flying to Sonic 2 this time.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, I’m not saying that this is a sure thing or even that the collection would necessarily be worse off for it, just that even this specific quote doesn’t necessarily tell us a whole lot about what we can expect technically speaking.

My personal want is Taxman treatment for all games, Knuckles, Super Sonic and Final Fever in CD and that’s kind of it, but the extra features Iizuka alludes to absolutely have me intrigued. If it isn’t Taxman working on these, I think the most interesting prospect is what direction another team would take things in, given that the Retro engine remakes were largely quite faithful to the originals, outside of the modern conveniences.

3. Totally. I enjoy Sega Ages Sonic 1, and to a lesser extent Sega Ages Sonic 2. The inclusion of the Spin Dash and optional Drop Dash was great and should be standard for all releases, ideally with the Super Peel-Out added to the mix for extra flavour. Most of the border options were pretty lame, but I wasn't really bothered by the lack of widescreen there. The biggest selling point for me was having the option for the Mega Play version of the game, which became my default way to play. Sega Ages Sonic 2 was a bit disappointing in comparison, but of course it's not like there was an alternative arcade version to include so my disapointment there wasn't exactly justified. It was a competent follow-up, and having Knuckles playable was fantastic.

I've said it before, but I might as well reiterate since Iizuka did specifically mention bringing more extras to the table. Every ability should be included as a toggle-able option. Tails should have his flight. Tails and Knuckles should be playable in every entry. Soundtrack options would be nice where relevant. Sprite options would be cool, but by no means important.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind having Super Sonic in 1 and CD as well.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Man, if I could play with Mania sprites in every game for consistency, that’d be fantastic.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Reset: the original versions.
    Remastered: basically redo the music with proper instruments that the Mega Drive was trying to replicate.
    Remix: kickass new versions akin to Sonic Generations' remixes.

6. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Iizuka never even said Origins won't be emulation anyway. He just said that previous releases have been emulation in 4:3 which makes them look old. All he actually confirmed was that the games will be widescreen (which we already knew is the case) and that there will be more features, which is fairly vague. To clarify I'm not being negative, I'm just trying to be realistic about what he did and didn't say is going to be in Origins. We still have to wait to find out any concrete info about how the games are being presented other than being in widescreen.

Just in speculation, I'm assuming that the drop dash will be put in all the games for this, and I hope it isn't on by default if it's in there. But all I need is Tails flight in Sonic 2.

7. The fact that Iizuka mentioned Whitehead by name along with Tyson Hesse at the top of the interview would seem to indicate they are still working together on some projects. Whether that's something new or an implication of Whitehead's involvement with Origins is unclear for now. Maybe both!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    He specifically referred to Whitehead having worked on Mania, and he was simply discussing how much he enjoyed being able to work with people who grew up as fans. I don't think that mention implies anything about current or future projects.

9. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    You maybe on to something with the bonus stage idea as we know for fact there were bonus themes that were cut from the game. I can't get the details as once again, I'm on my 4s.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Emulation isn't inherently evil. There are plenty of new things you can do with emulated games, and honestly, the aspect ratio was the thing that made the taxstealth ports work as well as they did for me anyway.

That said, it'd be pretty unreal for Iizuka's wording to not mean the games aren't being emulated. I'd be more upset because it felt like I was being lied to than anything the game itself could do.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ah, the 'Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is a prequel' incident in Sonic the Hedgehog form.

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Pretty much. Also if we're going by SEGA AGES in terms of quality, please bug fix the spin dash and drop dash collision so objects don't cancel it out.

Even if they can't implement a huge amount of things into the ROM itself, I'd love if they used similar emulation tricks to add extra modes and what not. SEGA AGES shown a Time Attack mode is theoretically possible, but I'd prefer a FULL one with more than one act this time. I feel like they could also potentially use this to work around split screen's limitations (didn't some previous releases like Mega Collection already fine tune it?).

13. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    If it's not emulation and not made by M2, then it ought to be a Tax&Stealth project, because really what else could it be? I can't imagine that Iizuka would take a project like this and develop it internally.

It's just weird that they chose not confirm it yet. Perhaps they are undecided on how to present it to the public due to Whitehead being involved with Evening Star while also being a contractor to Sega on his own, or maybe it's still so early in development that they want to keep hype to a minimum until they have something substantial to show.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I’m fairly certain than even Iizuka realizes that bringing out the classics again in 4:3 SD will not cut it in 2021.. and even if that were the case, the collection would have been out this year if they decided to go with the “stretched widescreen” so it’s looking more like a Taxman & Stealth project which I would be more than happy with

Also IIRC, wasn’t it mentioned somewhere that Christian’s original pitch to Iizuka in 2016 was a compilation of the mobile remasters plus a new 2D Sonic game included? Obviously Iizuka would take that new 2D Sonic idea and it would eventually become Sonic Mania, but maybe he remembered this original pitch and decided “let’s go back to this and also add Sonic 3 & Knuckles?”

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Honestly I’m still banking on 1/2/CD minimum being the Remakes solely because Sonic CD has never recieved an emulated port before
    The PC port was built for PC, and Gems was ported from that version.

the alternative is Sega actually developing a Sega CD emulation shell and that is the more out-there possibility of the two IMO. And at that point they might as well bring the other two over in the process

Glad to hear 3/K will 100% be a 16:9 conversion, though. Genuinely already exceeding what I wanted out of the collection

16. It's so weird- the longer I hear people talking about this collection the more excited I get.

Like, my excitement for "rangers" and colors ultimate is already tapering off, but the hype I'm feeling for this collection is still building...? I hope that's a good sign lmao

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Great to have it absolutely confirmed that all the games in the collection will be presented in 16:9. Interesting that Iizuka only refers to four games in his interview, mentioning Sonic 3 & Knuckles specifically rather than Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. This suggests they'll definitely be playable in "locked-on" form, though I wonder whether or not the individual halves will also be playable. Personally I only ever really played them combined anyway, but I know some people like to replay the individual versions (particularly Sonic 3) for their unique differences from the combined game. The teaser video did show cover art for all five individual games; however, that may just be because the combined Sonic 3 & Knuckles never had any boxart of its own back in the day, what with Sonic 3 Limited Edition being cancelled before release and all - it'll be interesting to have clarification on this when more concrete info surfaces.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  18. Harper

Harper

Would be cool if they made new box art for the combined game in the collection. They'll probably just use the title screen though.

19. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Indeed - I suppose it depends if they're willing to commission new art for it.

If they're going for authenticity, there's two routes they could take. If they followed Sonic 3's example, they'd need to produce a whopping three new covers - one for the NTSC-U version, one for the NTSC-J version and one for the PAL version. If a finished version of that unused Greg Martin piece with Sonic/Tails/Knuckles in Mushroom Hill ever existed, it'd be cool to use that as a US Sonic 3 & Knuckles cover as it's very much in the same style as that region's Sonic 3 cover - however, even if that were the case it'd still leave the NTSC-J and PAL regions needing new covers. (That's assuming a "Sonic 3 Part Two" PAL cover wasn't produced at the same time as Sonic 3's PAL cover and just ended up locked away in a vault somewhere - after all, the used Sonic 3 cover has the "Part One" label in the raw artwork, which was just covered up with a blue bar on the final boxart).

The second option would be to use an emblem rather than a full illustration, like Sonic & Knuckles - that way they could comfortably use the same one for all regions like that game did (albeit on a different background in the case of the NTSC-J version) without sacrificing authenticity. In that case, an adaptation of Sonic & Knuckles' iconic logo with Tails included too would seem the simplest solution, with each box styled to match that region's Sonic & Knuckles boxart.

20. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    So I just reviewed the list of games that were included in the initial Sonic Mega Collection and I will say this: IF the majority of the games are handled by Taxman and Stealth, then Origins will have a solid chance of rivaling, even surpassing, Mega Collection as the definitive classic Sonic compilation.

My ideal scenario (doesn’t mean it will happen) would be that Origins is a mix of ports and remasters and that there are more games than the 5 that were announced (if we are going by that Japanese tweet that says it will cover the Genesis era) so let’s take a look at the Mega Collection list:

- Sonic 1 and 2 will likely be the Taxman remasters in Origins
    - Sonic CD was never on Mega Collection and never included with the main trilogy in any compilation so +1 for Origins here (will be the Taxman remaster, obviously)
    - Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles would also be remastered in the Retro Engine (whether we can play the games separately remains to be seen, but I think it will be an option)
    - The spin-off games (Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, and 3D Blast) will likely be the only ports in the compilation (maybe by M2?)
    - The lock on games will already be implemented (Knuckles is a playable character in Sonic 2 Remastered, and Sonic 3&K will likely be a playable option; idk if Blue Sphere will make it, but it’s a possibility)

-The extra games like Flicky and Ristar won’t be included and I don’t see the Master System/Game Gear games going in either

So out of the 10 main games in Mega Collection, 9 are in Origins for sure (could even be all 10 if Blue Sphere is green lit). 6 (or 7) of the games will be remastered (Sonic CD bumps those numbers up one).

That would be pretty solid and I will gladly say it’s more meatier than Sonic Mega Collection.. here’s hoping and praying that SEGA follows through with this idea

**Sorry for all of the numbers and the lengthy post lol**

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021