don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I don't know, I kinda really like the way Ultimate looks. But then again I've always been a sucker for high contrast in my games.

2. Taylor

Taylor

Yeah to a lot of people, high contrast makes more things look cinematic. Might be what's going on here *shrugs* Plus this stage does happen at night, so it makes a little more sense
    Not that I'm planning on getting this myself, unless some wacky mods come out for it

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't normally do this but...how?

Help me see what you're seeing. Cause I don't see "high contrast", I see "incomplete lighting". Nothing looks as lit as it should, even disregarding any (fair) comparisons you could make to the source material.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well it's not night it's in space, but ya similarly space can be dark. Thus this level is kinda dark, save for lighting from the various objects. Like Asteroid Coaster and Planet Wisp still look close to their original renditions (except the details pop more), so this must have been a design choice.

But im with @SuperSnoopy I like how this looks.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm honestly surprised that it's even a discussion. The level is supposed to be a bright, neon theme park, but it's so dark in this remaster that most of the trees are entirely black. I can't begin to see how any of this is preferable.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    It does look more HD, but I agree with Aerosol, It looks like some of the lighting engine just hasn't been turned on yet.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    But on the Wii version where's the light source and where's the neon? It's a level in space, you can't see the sun in the sky box, so where's the light coming from?

Like if you were at Disney World or something at night, would you expect it to look pretty much like day but with a night sky? No you'd see the lights pop and a lot of stuff would be dark. The Wii version's Tropical Resort has notes of SADX at night vibes, it's bright when it doesn't make sense.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt if they added some more floor lights or spot lights on the side to illuminate the darker areas, much like actual amusement parks or like Las Vegas would do.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The neon is literally everywhere in the Wii version. The environment is supposed to be bright and vibrant. It's not entirely realistic, and it's got a hell of a lot more lights than Disney World. The light is supposed to be coming from the bright, illuminated structures all over the place. There's no one light in the sky specifically, but look at the colour of the sky itself; it's actually lit up and colourful in the Wii version, but it's almost pitch black in Ultimate.

Ultimate looks genuinely unfinished. It's all well and good making the lighting more "realistic", until you sacrifice the visuals for the sake of realism. The level should not be this dark. End of.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Look how much light is in the scene. It's not reacting with damn near anything. Not the red bricks to the side of the pathway, nothing. There's a massive neon sign on the archway that looks like it should be throwing out a ton of photons but there's...nothing???

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok that I agree with, the neon and lights should interact with the environment more.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I know the original version had unrealistic lighting, but it looked good.

I suppose if the lighting looked complete and I could clearly see the darkness as an intentional design choice, I might be able to understand how anyone could prefer it. But the lighting literally just looks incomplete to me. If they're going for a night-time carnival kind of look fine, but it looks like a half-remembered dream of what Colors used to look like to me.

When exactly are we meant to expect more news or images from this thing?

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It's kinda looking like another 'SADX' to me. Better resolution, worse appearance due to broken lighting, even though it has better effects.

13. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    They said Colors Ultimate would be discussed some at E3, but I can't seem to find when Sega's presentation is supposed to be, because I don't see them in any schedule lists.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    SADX didn't have any better effects

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I won't say the remaster is an objective improvement over the original (which it should be but lol Sega), but I dunno, I really like the darker environments.
    The original game never made sense to me colour wise, it's supposed to take place in space but it's overly bright for no real reason. The remaster really brings home the otherworldly vibe we're supposed to be getting from a space setting. It's dark as fuck yeah, but it's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

And the main path is just as bright as before, so it's not like it makes the game unplayable or anything. You have a bright yellow path next to a darker environment->more contrast->me likey.

Keep in mind I kinda hate Colours so it's not like I'm super passionate about it lol, I just slightly prefer the way the remaster looks. If the game being remastered was Adventure 2 I probably would be more of a stickler for visual accuracy but in this case I'm way more open to stuff being changed.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Like I said earlier, I'd understand the darkness if the lighting at least looked complete or deliberate, but it doesn't.

I'm not Colors' biggest fan either!

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh one thing I noticed in the new footage that's a neat feature. Any automatic sections temporarily remove the HUD. It makes those sections a little more cinematic and also indicates you shouldn't do anything here input wise.

Also I think this version looks way better in motion than it does in stills, although why don't Sonic's pupils move any more:

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I like the concept enough to be willing to look past it despite how...not amazing it looks.
    Cause don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything makes sense and is where it should be lighting wise, both versions' lighting is ultimately unrealistic. But again...space! It's in space, it's dark, it looks better to me. That's kinda it.

Could definitely look better tho. I think this entire argument wouldn't be happening if they used better lighting and reflection to make the level look darker, instead of just doing if!road=bright, if!everythingelse=dark, but alas...

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    It absolutely wouldn't be. I don't mind it looking darker, I mind it looking incomplete.

I don't even prefer it dark/light or whatever. I just want deliberate and consistent art, which includes lighting. The CG trailers for Colors look great and definitely make Tropical Resort appear darker than it does in-game; if the lighting was right, and that's the aesthetic they achieved, I'd be perfectly happy.

With the looks at least.

20. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    That's a pretty fair point yeah. I could say "wait until the full game comes out", but eh... except for Doom 4 I can't really remember any game released recently looking significantly better upon release. What we're seeing is probably what we're getting.