don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Well, with Sonic and the Secret Rings, the One-Thousand and One Nights stories it's based on are middle eastern folktales, so probably where those two got their names from (Ifrit, Arm of Iblis: demon, arm of Satan). With Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)'s Iblis, what better name for the bringer of the end of the world than Satan? And for Sonic Rivals 2, same logic, it's a demon that brought about the end of the world.

Yet people put Sonic the Hedgehog CD between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Either way, people think there's events between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3, so why is it so terrible I have events between them as well? We don't know how long the Death Egg took to fall, so a couple of months with some smaller adventures in-between is hardly continuity breaking.

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Yeah it could be.

From these dialogues, what can we say about which game came first?
    ifrit golem.png ifrit rivals 2.png ifrit rivals.png

3. Time to interrupt :D

I still need to polish the theory up, but it's always been headcannon of mine that Sonic Advance tells the story of how sonic fixed the moon.

Also, on the subject of the advance games, I've heard it tossed around that all 3 and Sonic X somehow tie all timelines together...? Yet no one has ever bothered explaining the theory to me :/

4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The Space Colony Ark was restored after that Chaos Control that saved the world. So it's possible that the moon was restored as well.
    upload_2021-6-10_17-42-34.png

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Can't really tell, however, Sonic reacts to the Ifrit in the Japanese version of Sonic and the Secret Rings with a "Is that..."

So perhaps Sonic Rivals 2 came first? Since it could be he's reacting to the name, having encountered Robotnik's research into an Ifrit before?

Not fond of that idea, especially as it was made before the Two Worlds Silliness.

Y'know, that's actually what I think happened: Sonic used Chaos Control to restore the Moon, which is why he wasn't around to stop Shadow falling.

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

It's kind of interesting if Sonic Rivals 2 comes before Sonic and the Secret Rings. The two Rush games and the first two Riders games appear in a row, as we would expected. I like it better than the other one.
    #03.2- MODERN ERA TIMELINE 2021.png

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    And you kept Sonic and the Black Knight post-Sonic Unleashed, since it has Sonic and Amy's date from the latter. All is well with your timeline.

8. Yeah, I've heard that before. I just honestly am not fond of how people's explanation for this theory basically boils down to "it's just a really really big chaos control". No, I like to dig deeper.

Like I said, my theory is loose, but I'll try to list my points here:

>In Sonic Advance, Eggman is after the master emerald (we see it in the bad ending post-credits scene, and it also explains why he was on Angel Island in the first place, why Knuckles is even here, and why there's a fake Knuckles planted in the ancient ruins. Also, we know the master emerald can change size, so it stands to reason that the green emerald we see Eggman with in the opening is the master emerald as well, and not the 4th chaos emerald (which is sealed away in Ice Mountain))

>Eggman steals the master emerald from Angel Island, but instead of using it to power some robot, he decides to escape first, taking off in his egg rocket, hoping Sonic and friends can't pursue him (they stow away on his ship anyway)

>Sonic catches up with Eggman and hands his ass to him again, but Eggman pulls out his trump card and escapes to the moon (presumably with the master emerald in tow) knowing Sonic can't survive in space. Sonic has the chaos emeralds however and goes super.

>Super Sonic defeats Eggman on the moon, there's a white flash and... Sonic goes missing for several days?

>Days later, Tails finds Sonic descending back into the atmosphere, still in his super form

>Cheeky smile, roll credits

Iirc, Takashi Iizuka was the one who said the moon rotated to show it's good side. Let's humor ourselves and say it happened to be rotated just right to allow for the full moon we see in advance. After Sonic defeats Eggman, we see a bright white flash, and Sonic vanishes. Sounds like chaos control right? Provided Eggman really did steal the master emerald like I think (it actually gives him a motive in this game lol) Sonic would have all 8 gems upon knocking Eggman out. So if Sonic has all the chaos emeralds, the master emerald, a super charged chaos control, and suddenly goes missing for a few days, is it at all possible that Sonic's chaos control was meant to restore the moon?

Of course this is all just a wild fan theory, and if anything doesn't make sense I'm happy to elaborate, but I feel like Sonic fixing the moon here makes more sense than doing it in Adventure 2. But that's just me.

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

But isn't Sonic Advance set on Sonic's world and not on Earth? It looks like there are not only two different planets but also two different moons.

10. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    There are many zones in advance 1 that directly line up with places in adventure 1. The two best examples is neo green hill looking almost identical to emerald coast and the castle in the background to cassino paradise looking like the one in twinkle park. Not to mention that the two worlds thing was a retcon I could be wrong but I don't think it existed until unleashed/colours.

Also we are assuming that the earth in sonic has only one moon right? I can't remember what levels or what game but I definitely remember there being at least 2 moons in a background at somepoint.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Considering the Two Worlds Silliness didn't exist, it's actually more likely to be around Station Square.
    [​IMG]

For a more in-depth look.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Yes, Chaos Angel has two moons.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

And some level on Sonic Riders Zero Gravity also has two moons.

In my headcanon all Sonic's planet lands travel to Earth for some whatever reason (that is why we have Angel Island on Earth in Sonic Adventure and such). And when the merge/demerge between the two planets is about to happen, the sky shows the image of the twin planet and it looks like another moon.

Chaos_Angel_background.jpg riders ZG.png

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The world is also in a state of chaos due to Robotnik's actions. We could also chalk one up to being the ARK, if we need to, though Earth in the Sonic universe might have two Moons if Sonic Riders is to be believed.

15. In chaos angel I always thought the close one was a stylized moon and the far one was the setting sun :p

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Can someone please explain to me, how in Sonic 3, Sonic and Tails are able to get on Angel Island? Like... You know, there's ocean and a beach... I always thought, that Angel Island is supposed to fly in the sky, because of the Master Emerald?

How can Super Sonic float above the ocean, and get through the beach, only to get K.O'd by Knuckles, if the island is supposed to fly high above the ocean?

Am I mixing things up? Is the Island from the beginning of Sonic 3, the same we see from Sky Sanctuary, when Knux fights Mecha Sonic?

Where even is Sky Sanctuary located?

Arghh! I'm confused!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The Death Egg's impact slammed the island into the ocean, and it sits there as long as the Death Egg is on it, so it's weighing the island down.

Sky Sanctuary appears to orbit Angel Island, and yes, it's the same: we see it in the sky during Knuckles' plot because it's after Sonics, when the Death Egg has been stopped.

18. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Right, I forgot about a HUGE FLYING PLOTPOINT crashing into the island.... Thanks for clarifying that!

I suppose the look of Angel Island in Sonic 3 title screen got me confused. There's no Death Egg visible there.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

But even if Angel Island did not fall due to the Death Egg's crash, Sonic and Tails could probably reach it. They were in the Tornado plane, that thing flies high.

20. It is confusing! If you only go by the in-game cutscenes, it would just seem like Angel Island takes off for the first time at the end of Doomsday Zone.