don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Pengi

Pengi

Ian said it's part of their big push to issue #50, which suggests it's going to tie into the storyline of the ongoing series, rather than a new game. I'm expecting it to be another mini-series, along the lines of Tangle & Whisper and Bad Guys. Maybe Eggman focused, to loosely tie in with the 30th anniversary?

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Which is great, considering what happened the last time there were dual writers on a Sonic the Hedgehog comic that weren't talking to one another when one had gone off to do his own comic.

Like, I know Ian Flynn and Evan Stanley are almost never going to end up in the same predicament and the current writers always seem happy to coordinate, but there's always that background of what happened with Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog looming over thing.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think it’s a loving jab tbh given that it’s Eggman saying it, and we all know what he’s like. Ian is absolutely aware of the discourse because he’s also a fan, but I like that he’s nodding to it in a way that isn’t too bitter about it.

Anyway, anybody else catch that in the latest issue Eggman said “our world”? In the past he’s only used terms that are more vague and detached, the writers never suggesting that he belongs here. I’m really hoping this means the people behind the scenes have been listening to feedback and the ridiculous two worlds crap is being retired and the comic can integrate concepts from all across the games.

Only thing that could make this better is to allow them to incorporate classic characters into the main continuity again. Archie did so much for Mighty in particular I really want to see him come back.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    To be fair, it seems to be a work in progress throughout the comic.
    The events of Sonic Adventure 2 are referred to as that time Shadow and Robotnik nearly destroyed the world. Not the Human's world, not another world, the world.
    Also, they use a picture of Earth for the planet when Zavok is looking at Robotnik's bases, specifically when he enquires about Angel Island:
    [​IMG]
    Flynn has also commented that the Two World's concept is silly as well, but it's what SEGA want. So maybe there's some internal rebellion going on there.

5. Pengi

Pengi

You're overthinking it. Ian said they've been told not to address the human world for now. Even if they were allowed to address it, it would make for clunky dialogue, and be irrelevant to the plot.

The shape of the continents is irrelevant. It's never been consistent. It's not an official hard canon Tolkien style map, it's whatever the artist felt like drawing at the time.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    They don't want to address Earth, but don't have a mandate that you can't draw Earth for Sonic's World?

Seems suspect.

7. Pengi

Pengi

Nobody behind the scenes cares how the planet is drawn, as long as it's blue and green. The world maps in Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Forces are all completely different, and none of them are Earth.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]
    Shadow the Hedgehog is also Earth, so...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Pengi

Pengi

It isn't Earth on the world map you see in-game. It's inconsistent because nobody actually cared about it that much. The CGI team used a planet Earth model because that was the easiest thing to do. I guarantee you that they weren't thinking about the 0.00001% of players who would take screenshots of it over a decade later to analyse the series (dis)continuity.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic Adventure 2 called it Earth, so it's Earth. Simple as that.

Probably not the best thread for this, however.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Dragonball also calls it Earth yet Piccolo didn't declare world conquest yesterday

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Amazingly enough, I'm aware fiction doesn't happen in reality. That doesn't exactly provide a stellar argument that the planet is not Earth, when thus far the shots we've seen of it are of Earth's outline.

If it looks like a fish, swims like a fish and smells like a fish, there's a good possibility it's a fish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Yes, Dragon Ball does take place on Earth. So does Harry Potter. And the MCU. And countless other fiction universes. What the fuck are you even arguing?

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic lives on whatever planet happens to make sense for the story at the time. It's a world that supposedly has Green Hill and Soleanna a few continents away from each other. Sonic's world has never made any sense, this isn't new. I mean I kinda wish they kept the Mobius name, that allows for a sense of disbelief that "earth" doesn't allow for.

Really I just hate when they call it "Sonic's world." What does he own the planet? Why would Eggman call it that it implies he's from somewhere else but he's not.

15. Pengi

Pengi

The lead writer of the comic says it's not set on Earth. That's the direction the person in charge of the Sonic series instructed him to follow. This isn't something that's debatable.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I feel like that’s kind of missing the point. I was pondering as to whether Eggman using the specific phrasing “our world” in this latest issue may be a symptom of the two worlds thing being phased out. Sure, wherever this lands may not be earth, but it feels redundant to say it’s not due to what has been said behind the scenes when the talking point was on how things may be changing behind the scenes.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Got it. There are two Sonics. One lives in furry anthro world and the other lives in the human world. We keep switching which Sonic we follow but they both look the same so we never know which one we're gonna get.

Plot twist: there's 2 of every character and they follow the same rules, that means there's 2 Classic Sonics, so there are 4 Sonics and 4 worlds

:eng99:

18. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Whenever I first saw someone point out Earth in relation to Angel Island, I just assumed that it was because Angel Island in Sonic Adventure was on Earth, and that was just them attempting to show it without saying it, because for some reason, they aren't allowed to show humanity or mention that side of things at the moment. The actual events of the comic seem to contradict that, however, because there they don't even really say that they're going somewhere special (and also Angel Island seemed to be present in the Forces digital miniseries anyways) so I don't know WHAT's up with that.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Or... Eggman's origin was retconned and now he was born in Sonic's world and not Earth. :v