don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    For obvious reasons I can't respond to everything you posted here but MF DOOM is a good example of an artist I'm a fan of who's music often disappears on Spotify because of sample clearance issues. My favorite song on Madvilliany "Raid" got removed for a year because the sample was discovered to be from some old South American show and was never cleared. The original artist happened upon the song on Spotify and got it removed until they worked it out.

I know Sonic Rush's soundtrack was sample HEAVY so to work out who needs to be cleared with what would probably be too much for SEGA to want to figure out just for a spotify release that won't even make much money. Might also be holding back any type of rerelease or remake too. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    How far along do y'all think this collection even is? I can't tell if showing a lot of recycled footage was just a bad PR decision, or if the announcement was just meant to be "the next Sonic collection is now in development :doge:".

I know it's just a collection of ports and we're not even sure who's developing it, but I hope they are taking their time with it. It's about time there was an absolute definitive official way to play all these games together.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

No trailer, no logo, no word on who the developer is, literally nothing except footage that they said upfront is not from the collection.

It's definitely not far into production.

4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yeah it doesn’t appear to be that far into development, but at the same time, depending on the number of games, collections like this shouldn’t be difficult to port over to modern systems

The only real development time will be primarily focused on widescreen Sonic 3&K, but again, that depends on who’s working on it

Like I said in a previous post, I wouldn’t be surprised if more than the main 5 classic games are included as ports

5. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    Adding to this, sometimes samples are cleared, but not for re-releases on new platforms. De La Soul, before their current issues with Tommy Boy, couldn't re-release most of their classic discography on digital services because the sample agreements only cleared the samples for release on physical media. Granted, times change, but a lot of the time, it can also be the wording of the clearance agreement that prevents re-releases. Obviously, we don't know what the deal is with MJ's tracks outside of the issue of ownership, but he and his team not only sampled his own songs for Sonic 3 (which would still need clearance from Sony), but they also sampled stuff from other artists as well, such as Run-D.M.C.

A lot of game music did a lot of blatant sampling in the 90s, even after the big Biz Markie lawsuit in 1991, which is often why a lot of games don't get re-released unless changes are made. D.D. Crew sampled Prince and Bobby Brown (the former of whom very rarely allowed sampling of his work), Earthbound was buried for years because the OST sampled a ton of popular music, Yuzo Koshiro got lucky as hell with how many songs he's sampled over the years, and managed to avoid legal trouble, and Rush sampled everything from Malcolm X, to Warner Bros audio clips sourced from the old Zero-G Datafile sample packs. And of course, there's the Japanese Sonic CD music.

All in all, and speaking from experience, clearing samples is a massive headache for anyone, even if you got deep pockets, and most people/companies try to avoid it, sometimes at the cost of burying the project. And if you used samples illegally, then that's more money you gotta run out your pockets to whoever's suing you.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    which oddly is even more baffling as that OST got a 20th anniversary full CD release. they'll clear it for a physical release that never makes it out of japan but can't be bothered to do it for the game itself in 2011? And then TSR went the 2011 route and didn't use any vox at all from it too.

7. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    You're talking about the actual vocal themes, right? I think that had to do with Sega not owning the rights to the lyrics (something they should've covered, being honest), and there being legal hangups in the US over using them. The stage tracks are in a weird spot. Those samples certainly haven't been cleared, though some of the artists that were are ok with sampling if properly cleared (George Clinton being the biggest example). Last I heard, some samples were removed in the 2011 port, but from what I can tell, the music is identical to the original release.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Kinda sad the Sonic CD OST avaliable on Spotify does not use the proper loop from 2011 version.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Thank goodness they locked that down and have never had rights issues to their own works ever again...

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Is there some comparison out there of this? I don’t remember CD lacking anything when I played it on PC and YouTube searches don’t seem to turn up any acknowledgement of this subject.

11. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Honestly I get the feeling this announcement video was thrown together the literal second Sonic 3’s licensing cleared; and they expected the fact that Sonic 3 was there at all to be the big development everyone got excited about

And then tripped on the dismount by mentioning it so casually that people not already in the know about it’s ten year absence didnt even realize there had ever been a problem

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I think the hangup with Rush lies directly and solely with Naganuma and SEGA not talking it out. Naganuma says that SEGA won't talk with him to get it out, and other comments indicate that SEGA likes to retain rights to the music in their games (which is understandable because of the Sonic 1 and 2 soundtracks deal) so they probably don't want to take anything less than a permanent deal.

so not at all Sonic 3's deal just to wrap that back around.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'm pretty sure that last point is false. The CD 2011 release not only includes the full soundtracks, but also adds beta loops back into them. The 2011 US soundtrack is actually expanded, including some parts that were never even in the extended album release (Metallic Madness Present, for example). Only the 2 JPN OP/ED songs were altered due to rights issues.

14. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Here you go:

1993 Opening
    2011 Opening

1993 Ending
    2011 Ending

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Boy I tell you.. playing the remasters lately on my iPhone 12 is really annoying.. SEGA has really screwed up the quality because of the SEGA Forever stuff.. even paying for these games, I still get graphical oddities and an even wider screen doesn’t help (especially with touch controls).. they should have just left them at 16:9

I really am praying Christian and Simon are involved with Origins so they can properly code the games the way they’re meant to be in the Star/Retro Engine

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Oh, I knew about these ones. I misunderstood, thinking samples had been removed from the level music.

17. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    The barrel has been removed before. In Sonic Jam for Sega Saturn if you choose Easy mode.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Something that someone brought up is the shield transparency.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not the dithering associated with emulation, but the transparency associated with the Taxman ports.

19. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The footage they used is just stock footage. They likely grabbed whatever they saw first. That's why it says "Original gameplay".

20. The point is supposed to be that said stock footage is supposedly of the Taxman version.