don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Either way, it's a moot point. That specific ability is like calling the Avatar's grapple a unique move. Technically it is, it's really just a homing attack on a different target. It doesn't change how you play or what you do as the player. Shadow really isn't any different to Sonic in Forces.

2. MH MD

MH MD

Fair point, i wasn't implying he was radically different or anything.

on that note and going back to colors, i think they can add a Tails skin, that plays the same as sonic, as a little bonus, given how it's a remaster i won't think people would mind that much, maybe even welcome it a bit, maybe it would add a little "value" to remaster.

Cause looking back at those recent videos....honestly i don't know what kind of mode that replace Sonic live icons both on HUD and levels itself with Tails would even mean, that's really strange, i think he is still in and those videos are bit early in development, cause it's just confusing HUD otherwise even for a separate mode.

3. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

The tails not being playable thing is dissapointing. Whatever it actually is, it won't be as good.

I'm not gonna comment on "whether shadow is different " in forces. Because who cares, people liked it.

But I want to mention
    The in universe based on him thing never was canon. Ever. By the way.

Apparently there's cut content where he has chaos control moves. So it's not lore, it just seems like they didn't have time to give him anything nuts

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  4. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Sigh Looks like Sonic Teams pertrified fear of non sonic playable characters continues. 06 is still the last 3D game he's playable in for better or for worse.

If we can't even get him back with a moveset so identical to Sonic's that he might as well be a skin, then when can we?

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Nice to see this game in motion with better presentation than what we saw in the trailer. The Sweet Mountain clip in particular was a nice showcase of what we can expect, and I’m all here for it.

6. Yeah, I really do agree. I'd like to see him playable again, and if they did so happen to include him, which I doubt, it'd be ridiculous to not give him partial flight given how there's already a wisp fulfilling that function. I still wouldn't complain if he was playable in gimped form, I'd instead complain that they didn't go one step further.

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Actually Black Knight was the last time Shadow was playable in 3D. FWIW, Black Knight does kind of demonstrate why we haven’t seen other characters besides Sonic playable in the boost games; their abilities make them completely overpowered because their abilities can be easily abused.

8. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US

Shadow was playable in the Sonic Forces DLC, both 3D and 2D segments.

Also, on the Tails subject, we did have a screenshot beforehand of Sonic playable with the Tails icon in the HUD, so it was deconfirmed before the rumors even started. But I did get my hopes up a little when those Wisp screenshots came out.

But hey, these new GIFs looks a bit more promising, no? Maybe it's been too long since I last played Colors, but this footage at least looks a bit more enticing than those Sweet Mountain and Tropical Resort stills. The rays in the Sweet Mountain GIF look quite nice.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Not what we were talking about.

10. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

...that sounds really fun. Let me be broken

11. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I think he was referring to Tails.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Tails (as Knuckles) is a great character for exploration. Colors at first glance would be a good game for him to be in, to search for the Red Rings. However, since the game makes us search for them using the wisps, Tails would just break the game entirely.

13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    "Actually Black Knight was the last time Shadow was playable in 3D."

Not sure why you need to be so harsh about it but what you said just.. wasn't true? It's a small correction and not worth being rude over. Last time Shadow was playable was Forces.

If you really wanna play the "not what we're talking about" card, the person you responded to was literally talking about Tails. Not sure if you proofread that post but you hit someone with the "actually the last time Shadow was playable was XYZ" and that wasn't even what they were talking about, they explicitly said Tails.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I still think Colors emulated in HD looks better than this. Some of the background details in these new clips are embarrassingly lo-tech for 2021.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yep. The jelly beans flowing across tubes in Sweet Mountain are flat 2D textures, as are the Wisps in capsules. As a 480p Wii game in 2010, Colours looked (and still does look) great. But in 2021 on much more powerful hardware, the game needs more than just bloom, new shaders and a higher resolution. The actual assets of Colours don't really hold up right now.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya those jellybeans are pretty gross looking.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I mean do we know that these recordings are taken from the final game? How far out from release do games generally "go gold"? There's evidence of other background elements (such as the jellyfish in Aquarium Park) being redone, so the beans may be redone and we just haven't seen that yet. I think the only complaint I have with the graphics at this point is that the water seems to be more opaque by artistic choice. You can still see some things through it, mainly towards the background, but I think being able to see what's below Sonic in the water was a really neat effect on the Wii original.

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I... wasn't being rude? I thought BadBehavior was talking about how Shadow wasn't unique in Forces and thus 06 was the last time he was playable in 3D, so I was correcting him. I see I made a mistake and it wasn't intentional. The only one I see being rude here is you. I made an honest mistake, I admit it, just let me be.

19. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    So, for the people wondering what engine this remaster is using, I think I have enough evidence to say with a good amount of certainty which one it is. And it's the same thing I'm using for Sonic Worlds Next!

One of the people on the VFX team, Brian Connelly, posted a bunch of internal samples of shaders and effects made for Colors Ultimate on his ArtStation... except at the time of this posting the works are hidden from public view or removed. Thankfully, a friend of mine and coding lead of Worlds Next, Sharb, saved one of them onto Discord, showing the water shader for Aquarium Park. What she noticed, however, was the UI showing on the top left... this is from Godot, a MIT-licensed multiplatform game engine that has really good 2D and 3D support. We initially thought Brian just ported the shader into Godot for the portfolio... until Blaze Hedgehog pointed out that one of the developers posted this:
    [​IMG]
    "an open-source engine" you say? I don't think the shader was ported to Godot for demo purposes, I think it was captured directly from the project within Godot's IDE, which is also probably why he pulled it all from public view.

And there is my case for Sonic Colors Ultimate being made in Godot.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I saw Dario talking about that on Twitter before, saying it made it really impressive in hindsight. Is there a good way in layman's terms to sum up why that might be?