don't click here

Upcoming Sonic 30th anniversary news coming 27th May

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ted909, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
  2. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I wasn't that excited, I just think we shouldn't have to temper our expectations.

And tbh I think this franchise is in a dangerous point because it's veering into a 'no one cares' territory. That's how I feel. There are many great games and tv nowadays, I don't really care about Sonic much anymore. The brand is in nowhere as good a point as say, Crash Bandicoot, because it doesn't deliver.

The series will die because it fades into irrelevance, and I do think it's a real possibility going forwards.

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    That was the best non-Nintendo Direct I've seen so far. Seriously! The final scene with the split screen was fun. ^^
    Going by the teaser, the game is going to be good. But please, no more sneak peeks!

4. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

So, to recap:
    • Sonic Colors Ultimate is Epic-exclusive on PC (at least for now)
    • Sonic Origins, the collection, appears to be Taxman's 1, 2, and CD ports, but just regular ol' 3 and & Knuckles
    • Unleashed gets acknowledged... by putting the Werehog in the Sonic Forces mobile game
    • The trailer for Sonic's next game was even more nothing than the reveal for Sonic Forces
    That's a whole monkey's paw and then some. I didn't even have expectations for this event and I'm still disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The thing I was most interested in was the free concert livestream on the 23rd. I don't think we've ever had an official symphonic orchestral livestream before.

New shorts with voice acting will be neat. It's another fork of the Colors storyline, which was pretty nothing to begin with. DS has other character cameos, and I guess this goes a step further.

I'll probably be given Colors Ultimate for a holiday, but I'm not hyped enough to buy it again. The lighting changes are pretty weird, and the Movie Sonic tie-in stuff (so that rumor of the movie model being playable is true) will be hilarious.

Sonic Origins Collection or whatever is too little too late. The community reversed-engineered the Taxman ports, and Sonic 3 AIR puts the emulated version they'll likely use to shame. It will depend on the extras they add to make it worth my while.

The 2022 game teaser has much prettier CGI than Forces' teaser, so maybe they're giving a shit again? Who knows.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Pleased with the announcement of Colours Ultimate and glad it's getting some additional content. Also, the new Colours animation short looks neat.

Also happy we're finally getting a new release of 3K after 10 years, although just being an emulation (whereas 1,2 & CD are the mobile remasters based on the footage in the video) is so lame.

The concert looks neat.

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Do you think that encyclopedia of the entire catalogue of games will present some sort of official timeline of events?

8. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    The new game is looking like another Boost title. I know it's just the trailer but I'm getting the vibe Iizuka wants to try that formula again until he gets it where he wants it to be.

9. I am genuinely looking forward to the orchestra concert, and I'm very happy to see more animation from Tyson.
    Otherwise, wake me when we get a new Mania game.

10. Loop

Loop

Pure of Heart. Dumb of Ass. Member
    I'm very surprised no one noticed how the aspect ratio and overall quality between footage of S3 and S&K were drastically different which obviously indicates that they didn't use actual game footage and just grabbed whatever was available on YouTube.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  11. So let's see.

Classic fans have no Mania follow up.

Adventure fans have no Adventure follow up.

Sega said fuck all Millennials lol.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I think for us having learned it would only be a few minutes, I think that was a perfectly satisfactory stream.

Not, like, exciting, but nothing upsetting either.

I dunno what's up with Sonic 3. I understand that legality might make it emulation-only, but it's also possible that things just aren't finished yet. We heard that it's being worked on, not that it's already done. Colors was clearly the more finished product, Origins didn't even get a logo.

Speaking of Colors... What's up with the contrast in that trailer? Maybe they're trying to make it look more like the CG, but I dunno, it gave me weird vibes. Sonic's weird red aura and the focus on the ghost suggests we might be seeing new content, but I'll have to wait and see.

Sonic Prime...look, I get if there's not anything to show off, but at least tell us something new.

And finally..."Zap", as people are calling it. If it even says "zap". I guess people that got mad at classic Sonic and square trees can rejoice? I've heard speculation that it's more Colors stuff, but I dunno, it just looks weird. That's definitely not an alien world Sonic's on. Not much can really be said here.

13. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The biggest letdown is that the 2022 game will be coming to Switch. I know Sonic sells best there, but that hardware will absolutely hold back any significant graphical quality jump between it and the other platforms. Shame, really.

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    No. Zippo was not legit.

His post got some things right, but given how much nonsense is in it, it's far more likely he just got some lucky guesses.

15. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    We don't know for sure that sonic z/opodjpafoe (what ever the fuck that logo says) is a boost game though and zippo did get these things right so idk.

16. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I think for what it was worth, the stream was alright. Nothing tooooo exciting, but what can I say? They said there's more to come, and at least I didn't have to miss an award ceremony broadcast in my house.

I just wish Colors Ultimate was on PC though :( As for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I assume they're using the emulated footage as placeholders while they work on the remaster.

17. I think sonic colors ultimate will reach PC soon after release, if not on the same day if they retink their options.

18. The duality of the Sonic fandom. One second everyone will be praising content like robo blast 2, saying it doesn't matter how it looks as long as it's well made and fun, and then the next we'll be bitching about how being available on switch is supposedly holding the game back based on graphics alone.

I don't care if it looks like Sonic Blast. I just want it to be fun :p

19. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I think the Origins collection is going to come out around the same time as the movie. After the movies comes out and if it's well written and does well, many people will want to play the original games after. This will give them a chance to in an easy format.

More importantly it will be on store shelves which makes impulse buying that much easier if they budget price it like $30.

Also if leakers are led to believe the 3 and K rights being worked out is a recent thing. This isn't coming out until next year. They might have just used 4:3 here to show it's on the collection but have plans for 16:9 on consoles.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  20. Sonic isn't spinning and clearly boosting.

I'm one to hold out hope, but everything points to another Boost game dude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.