don't click here

Several Voice Actors Leave The Sonic Franchise

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by jubbalub, Jan 28, 2021.

1. CaseyAH_

CaseyAH_

human incarnation of Palmtree Panic 'P' Mix Member
    what an odd turn of events

2. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Oh Great. Pizza Hut Sonic is back. Was kind of excited to get a new VA.

3. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
  4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I was really geared up to hear someone new too, but ngl I always thought that Roger did amazing job voicing Sonic. His voice is never what I would have picked for Sonic as I'm also such a huge fan of Drummond, but he just worked so well. I was disappointed that he left, and I'm really pleased that he's back.

5. However you feel about Roger's work, it's clear he's resonated with many people given how long he's been voicing Sonic. Him leaving was always gonna generate backlash.

So I can't express enough how happy I am to have him back and that him and Sega came to a new agreement.

6. Confused, but not complaning. I like his VA.

7. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Ugh... way to ruin my excitement for Sonic news. Lol

I was looking forward to seeing who they'd cast next. Oh no... that means Amy might not be changing too...

blech.

Here's hoping scripts and voice direction improves at least. I guess I'll probably continue resorting to the Japanese audio option even though I wish I wouldn't have to.

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    sounds like maybe it was contract issues then? and Sega/whoever handles that finally decided to cave and/or pony up?

that itself is really interesting, and also implies that maybe the people behind the scenes are less dumb than those handling US Sonic several years back

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Oh worth noting that he specifies that he'll be voicing Sonic in the games. Just in case there was any doubt, it sounds like this is confirmation that a new VA will be taking on the role in Prime, likely someone in Canada.

Also I'm definitely disappointed for Drummond, seeing as he jumped at the chance to potentially voice Sonic again. It was always a long shot, but he's inevitably going to be disappointed.

10. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Or they couldn't find anyone else willing to do the voice for cheaper, which is normally what happens with a recast. I bet Roger took a pay cut to reprise the role.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Well that was a waste of time. lol

12. Why would anyone be willing work for less? I know you're upset about him being back, but think logically dude, this makes no sense based on everything we know so far.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Happy that he's back - seems we could have managed without this entire song and dance parade though.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Because they can't find other work? It happens.

I don't really have much of an opinion on his voice. It's the direction and writing I really have an issue with. He's fantastic in Boom. Nonetheless I was excited to hear about someone (some people?) new. Him reprising his role is like...we went through all that dumb drama for no reason.

15. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Well, I thought (and still think) that Griffith was terrible until his last couple of times in the role, so maybe better directing and scripts can make me like Smith's Sonic.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The direction in the games, and particularly the scripts, seems to be a huge problem. When Smith shines, he really shines. But the games are so all over the place and shallow with their writing that it's got to be pretty hard for the actors to get any proper millage. I'm looking forward to him voicing Sonic in a game not written by Pontac and Graff.

I still really hope that Knuckles and Shadow have been replaced though. Knuckles was voiced by Travis Willingham before being replaced replaced with David Mitchell in TSR and 2020 Olympics,and the change was dreadful. shadow meanwhile has never been good when voiced by Kirk Thornton (but he does a great Orbot, even if I really dislike that character). Also Rouge. Bleh. I hope she's still got a new VA whenever she shows up again.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Taylor

Taylor

I normally don't put on the tinfoil hat, but that they announced this a day before the livestream makes me wonder if this whole thing was a stunt for social media attention. This whole situation is so weird to me. Surely whatever thing they're announcing would be close to release and thus the voice actor stuff would already be worked out, right?

18. Personally, I think Forces was a great performance for Shadow. He doesn't get much to do, but what he had made me more confident in him.

19. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Ah well, can't wait for whoevers voicing Sonic in Prime to utterly blow his performance out of the water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. I really think he can fit the role pretty well when there's comedy involved, but personally
    his "serious" sonic voice dosen't convince me that much. Maybe when prime releases he will have improved.