don't click here

The Sonic Rumor Containment Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    So as we find ourselves in the so-called "Sonic Drought", as it were, naturally a lot of rumors and leaks have begun to proliferate in recent months as we approach the 30th Anniversary. We're going to try to keep it contained to this thread, and also try to keep it somewhat proper along the way.

Specifically by asking you to stop and ask whether the new rumor you're considering sharing sounds at least somewhat possible. This is a hard thing to quantify, obviously, but we mostly just want to avoid any and every 4chan post from getting shared here. Rumors that state how the Freedom Fighters are totally coming back or how SEGA fired all of Sonic Team can pretty easily be assumed to have no merit and no discussion value. We're hoping this thread can house rumors that hold some validity as they appear (the recent Sonic Colors Ultimate recording leak, as an example, though we're hoping to avoid opening that specific can of worms again), or at least rumors that provoke interesting points for and against them, all discussed and critiqued with civility. Even the most convincing rumors should still be taken with a grain of salt, also.

So let's just have fun and shoot the shit! I guess to start it off, the one that prompted this thread was getting the Sonic 3&K talk out of the Supreme Topic of Other Knowledge thread.

Source: Update: The Next Game In The Sonic Collection Is... (zippospeaks.blogspot.com)

EDIT: Hey, have another.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.sogamely.com/shop/product?ref=PS4SONCOL

This is the same site that listed Sonic Colors Ultimate recently.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  2. Linkabel

Linkabel

Well, a Sonic Collection listing has appeared.

Edit: Oops, did not see the OP was edited to include it. I guess this adds more weight to the rumors.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    "Sonic Collection" is quite the lacklustre title - assuming it's a genuine thing, I'd imagine that's a purposefully ambiguous placeholder to not leak a bigger reveal of the collection's content. Or they just don't have it finalised yet to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Linkabel

Linkabel

If it's just the classics it's going to be named Sonic Mania Classic Collection to tie it to Mania.

If it's 3D then it's going to be named Sonic Dream Collection to tie it to the Dreamcast nostalgia/beginning of Sonic's "real" 3D career.

5. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I feel like "Sonic Dream Collection" might not give it the best association.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  6. So a collection of some kind exists. Cool.

I still think Zippo’s been talking out his ass tho.

Just gonna quote my comment from the old thread here.

7. Linkabel

Linkabel

That's the joke

Saying that, Sega has to find a clever way to knock it out of the Google search results when you Google Sonic Dreams Collection. :ruby:

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Like any rumors I'm going to try not to keep my hopes up. :V But I would hope that if we do get a collection of games it includes most 3D titles, and some Game Gear ones. As much as I would love to see an official re-release of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I think at this point it's a bit redundant with Sonic 3 A.I.R. I get that there's probably someone out there who would rather get an official release from Sega, but meh. I also don't see a point of re-releasing the other Genesis titles as they're already part of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Classics which is available on every single current platform.

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

Honestly the only game I'm hoping to have is SegaSonic The Hedgehog. That alone would make any collection worth it.

10. Ted909

Ted909

SegaSonic and one or two other unported rarities like Chaotix would be very nice to have indeed, but wouldn't really mean much once we take fans out of the equation. Only way I can see those getting included is as tagged on extras and not the central selling points (which, by the sounds of things, may well include the Jacko/Buxer-free S3&K after all).

11. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I'd like to see 3D Blast but with upgraded graphics and selectable music. Oh, and much of the DX bonuses.

TBH, though, I doubt these rumors are true, but we'll see...

12. MBeca

MBeca

I wish it includes games like the Advance and Rush ones. Both Advance and Rush introduced long lasting characters and concepts (Cream, Blaze, Boost) and they've been trapped on the OG handhelds forever. Some other smaller titles like the Master System/Game Gear library would be great too. (And I'm sure some of the GG exclusives could be enhanced to a bigger screensize relatively easily)

13. I'd love for it to include every game from 91-97, including all the arcade games. More than that though, and regardless of which soundtrack is included, I want Sonic 3 to feature proper credits for all compositions.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Honestly, my long shot hope would be for stuff like Burning Rangers to be an unlockable. Won't happen for like a million reasons, but taking that a step further and treating this as a Sonic Team anniversary collection instead of a Sonic anniversary collection would be lovely...I'll keep dreaming.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Ted909

Ted909

I think Burning Rangers deserves better than being lumped in with a bunch of more popular games that happen to have been made by the same team - I'm sure it'd introduce it to some more people, which would be great, but if they want to do something with BR again I hope they make an effort and treat it as a thing in its own right. Besides the PSO and Racing Transformed cameos it's barely been acknowledged at all for 20+ years.

I feel a fully fledged remake may be the way with it considering the parts of the game that haven't aged very well technically/were even pretty rough at the time. I'd say Nights or Billy Hatcher have a better chance of sneaking in to a compilation as Sonic Team offshoots seeing as they're closer in tone to Sonic anyway, but I digress.

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Good that this has its own topic to isolate it from the real stuff, lol.

Anyway, since the compilation is apparently real (though I have a feeling Zippo just got lucky), I'm hoping that we get some love for games that have been out of circulation for too long. SegaSonic, Pocket Adventure, the Advance trilogy, hell even throw Rush/Rush Adventure in there. I'd love Sonic R and Saturn 3D Blast too, but I doubt Sega's figured out Saturn emulation yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    A new Sonic collection would be quite dull if it only offered games that we already have available on, say, Steam, which includes the likes of Sonic 1 and Sonic Adventure. Having scarcely-rereleased games like Knuckles Chaotix, SegaSonic the Hedgehog, and the Sonic Advance series would definitely make it interesting. I would also throw in SegaSonic Bros. as a neat curio (also to make Sonic's band canon :V).

That being said, I'm not very interested in seeing games get rereleased with what we can assume to be no changes at all, so I would also love to see extra features such as concept art galleries, ideally with concept art that we've never seen before (in good quality, at least).

18. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Having official ports of Taxman Sonic 1 and 2 would be pretty neat. The decomp is cool for PC usage, but an easy to access console version would be very cool.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I see a lot of people suggesting SegaSonic: how do you emulate the trackball?

20. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    Whatever you use as analog to a trackball, it has to be equally difficult and frustrating.

I suggest Gyroscope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.