don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ah yes, that one game I will maintain is a prequel to Sonic the Hedgehog 3 if we put all games on a timeline.
    It does. The Chaos Emerald Robotnik has is flickering between yellow, silver and I think it's supposed to be a light blue? It's a very odd Chaos Emerald...
    [​IMG]

2. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Interestingly, the black emerald found in Sonic & Tails 2 comes back in Sonic Jump (the original Sonic Cafe version). I wonder what the deal with that was?

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I've got the goods. I've also captured the results screen from the base game for comparisons, since they flash up between Special Stages on the mode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Might go through the Sonic & Knuckles Emeralds, see if there's any differences between them and the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Emeralds...

Is it just me, or does the dark blue Emerald have a tinge of purple?

EDIT: Just went through the Sonic & Knuckles stages: no change. To be expected, but better safe than sorry...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I noticed (I still don't know why the pink/purple emerald isn't named "magenta"), but, with the "irregular" patterns, the rainbow set would have made sense. Either way, after messing around a bit, colouring them as f00, 0f0, 00f, ff0, f0f, 0ff and fff it's quite an easier choice to repeat and remember.

EDIT: I must point out I noticed it after posting here the other day (I probably noticed it before, but I had forgotten it), so my previous post was embarrasingly honest.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Random amusing bit of trivia about the yellow Chaos Emerald turning orange: Sonic Jam isn't the only game that happens in. It happens in Sonic Adventure DX as well:

[​IMG]

Of course, it's more than likely just one of the many, many, many issues Sonic Adventure DX has with lighting and textures, since it's clearly yellow in Sonic Adventure:

[​IMG]
    Sorry for poor quality, grabbed it from a YouTube video.

Just an amusing little bit of trivia regarding the magically changing colour yellow Chaos Emerald. Not sure how they mucked up the lighting to get that colour, but...

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    In what games there was a specific mention to some color of any emerald? Like, "we found the red emerald!" or something?

7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I think only Sonic Chaos has had this; iirc, the manual states it was the red Emerald the one stolen by Robotnik. Not very useful when it comes from a side game with only six emeralds.

On the other hand, (my PAL) S3&K sometimes shown some emeralds in slightly different colours too, and I never guessed the exact conditions. The red or the yellow emerald (only one of those) switched to orange sometimes, and the purple switched its tone to an uglier darker one at times.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Yeah, the Chaos Emeralds are always unnamed in colour. It's always just a Chaos Emerald, likely since the colour really doesn't matter, it's still a gem of near infinite power and thus the colour isn't really relevant in the overall scheme of things.
    Only in English, according to Windii's translation. In the Japanese, it's "one of the Chaos Emeralds!"

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Haven’t the recent calendar stories been describing individual emeralds as glowing a rainbow of colours?

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    You have a quote for that? It'll be interesting to see, or if it meant the Chaos Emeralds come in a rainbow of colours.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    And the rainbow in Sonic's world has cyan instead of orange.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Rainbow can be used as a collective noun for colours. Like a murder of crows or a clowder of cats.

Other collective nouns for colours include 'a palette of colours' and 'a spectrum of colours'.

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Not sure where the specific stories are being posted, but the calendars are from here: SEGA | ソニックチャンネル | おたのしみ

And I believe Windii has been translating them here: Sonic Channel Wallpaper Cover Stories 2021 - Pastebin.com

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Thank you kindly. Yeah, it's mentioned several times that the Chaos Emeralds glow seven colours:

I'd go on, but I think it gets the point.

So yeah, Iizuka canon Chaos Emeralds are not set colours, especially if the sunlight hits them.

15. Pengi

Pengi

In the Sonic Channel stories the Chaos Emeralds are de-powered, therefore grey/black, as seen in Sonic Unleashed and the end of Sonic Adventure. They're just acting as prisms when struck by light, the same way a diamond does.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That's a fair counterpoint. It'd be interesting to see that in the games at some point, as a simple background detail.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Ah, very interesting. I missed the part about them being depowered. I wish we knew more about what goes on internally regarding the narrative and continuity of this series, because there are quite a few notable discrepancies between the Japanese and American texts.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    At this point, there's severe notable discrepancies between the Naka and Iizuka canons as well, so there's still a significant difference.

Such as the Two Worlds Canon, which Flynn claimed was inherited from Yuji Naka, yet Yuji Naka was baffled by Sonic being an alien in the movie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And he later went on to bemoan that it wasn't the story he and Oshima had decided for the character, and that Sonic might as well be a completely different character to what he made.

So, y'know, you'd also have to determine what date the information stems from to decide which version of Canon it goes into, Naka or Iizuka.

19. Linkabel

Linkabel

You know, that's not the first time I've seen that but it has me wondering if we're misinterpreting him a bit.

-There's the interview where he mentions the games always took place on earth on isolating islands and that's why there were no humans. (Even though we see cities in S1&2).
    -Sonic X which happened under his watch introduces the two worlds concept. Seems like he was involved with it along with Sonic Team.

-Then the quote from Flynn that Iizuka was handed that canon.

So is Naka not baffled by the fact that Sonic is from another world, but more than he came to earth to "protect his world" and that Sonic's personality (being more insecure) is not what him and Ohshima decided on back in the day?

Idk, the more I think about it is that somewhere around 2001-2003 the series bible changed to the Two Worlds thing.

20. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

Yeah , sonic at his core is a child. He's kid who's cool and fights bullies. The primary bully being eggman. But as he is a child , he when written well is also immature short tempered and not to interested in anything romantic. He's kind of peter pan in a way because he's not supposed to grow up. His rivals however do. All of his "rivals" that have actual characterization either already have responsibilities or grow to become more responsible , they grow up. Sonic sort of stays the same.

Movie sonic is very clearly a kid, but a kid who can grow, he shows growth in that movie. And part of growth is having insecurities that you have to deal with , and that's the part I think Naka is saying is different. Movie sonic is more spiderman than a shounen protagonist, or the flash rather.