don't click here

My Project: Silver Sonic in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Roebloz, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Roebloz

Roebloz

So. I always loved Game Gear Sonic 2's Silver Sonic (Partly because it was my first ever Sonic game) and because of his wacky design. After watching Game Apologist's latest video on him I realized how little was done with the character. Sure you got a few fanarts here and there, but no bootlegs or character hacks? So here I am, taking the matter into my own hands. By basing off a custom S3-style Silver Sonic spritesheet as well as the sprites for Metal Sonic in Sonic 2, I am now making as my first Sonic hack, the first character hack of my favorite tincan Sonic for SHC 2021!

The hack will be released in two parts: The first part will be a simple character replacement in Sonic 1 (Name: Silver Sonic in Sonic 1) and released standalone, while the second part will be released at SHC 2021 and will be a full hack with new level layouts, palettes and music. (Name: Silver Sonic's Revenge)

Download links:
    Silver Sonic in Sonic 1: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6102/

Silver Sonic's Revenge: Coming Soon

Screenshots of Silver Sonic in Sonic 1:
    sc1.png sc2.PNG sc3.PNG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  2. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Paging @doc eggfan.

This is looking pretty sweet, good job.

3. Roebloz

Roebloz

Thank you. This is my first Sonic ROM hack that replaces graphics so hopefully I don't mess things up too much. I have two plans for this hack.
    -The first version will be exactly that, just Silver Sonic in Sonic 1 and will be released on RHDN.
    -The SHC version will feature new levels, graphics for the badniks and (maybe) new music.

4. Roebloz

Roebloz

So I might have forgot about this project a uhhh...Little bit. Was way more focused on Doom 32x Delta than Silver Sonic, but uhhhh expect the Silver Sonic in Sonic 1 hack to be released this week. (Either Monday or Tuesday)

5. I love how much overlap between the Doom and Sonic modding community there tends to be. Love the work you've done on Doom Delta.

6. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Oh, so *you’re* to blame for DOOM delta! Kick ass work!

7. Roebloz

Roebloz

Alright only took me two months to get to it, but here is the part 1 release.
    Here is your obligatory trailer:
    And here is your download link https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6102/

Remember, this is only the standalone character hack. The fully fledged hack will be released during SHC2021 (Or around that time should the project be denied for the contest)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  8. Roebloz

Roebloz

Accepted on RHDN, so I updated the download link.

9. Roebloz

Roebloz

A lot of progress has been done. New ending pictures are being implemented thanks to the power of HEX Editors and SonMapED (Remember, this is a pure no disassembly hack), and 2 zones out of 6 are done, with minor bugfixes waiting to be made.

Also, here are some zone names for the 3 earliest zones, as well as statuses for all zones.

GHZ -> Scrmbl Egg Zone (Scrambled Egg Zone) Because this is about Silver Sonic. Not the same Scrambled Egg Zone though. 0/3 Acts done.
    MZ -> Temple Zone. It fits. 3/3 Acts done.
    SYZ -> Lethal City Zone. It has a background that looks like radiation. Oh, and bumper jumping. 3/3 Acts done.

Here are some screenshots while you wait for me to make a video showcasing gameplay. scrn3.PNG Screenshot_20210807-070043_MDemu.jpg scrn2.PNG

10. Roebloz

Roebloz

More rubble, less trouble. Here is a screenshot from (TOBENAMEDZONE) Act 1 and Act 3 respectively. (It's SLZ's replacement)
    scrn7.PNG scrn6.PNG
    This zone's theme will be "Calm, but dick moves within"

11. Roebloz

Roebloz

Alright, you are getting everything now. Scrambled Egg Zone Act 1 video? You bet.
    Scrambled Egg Zone Act 3 screenshots? Here you go.
    scrn9.PNG scrn10.PNG
    Oh, and Egg Base Zone Act 3 screenshot with the exit on it? Of course you can have it. scrn11.PNG

12. Roebloz

Roebloz

And here it is, the official trailer! The hack itself is finished, but its premiere shall be at SHC2021! See you there!

13. Roebloz

Roebloz

I will be uploading the remixed tracks during the contest week to my YouTube, as well as the ROMhacking.net release.