don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Sonic Colors: Full Saturation

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I've hated this game since day one :V
    But the immediate backlash every time I so much as mentioned that the game was maybe not a masterpiece was SO strong up until a few months ago I just kinda never talked about it.

Just call it Sonic Colors in Europe and Sonic Colours in the states. Problem solved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    So now that we have SOME (even unofficial) game news, I'm back on the forums, and I thought I'd weigh in on what I'd like to see in a Sonic Colors Ultimate. I'd like AI Upscaled Textures (it's easy to do), the Sonic Generations Model to be toggle-able (again, easy stuff here, easy hack to implement), and MAYBE include the DS version if they feel charitable (it is one of my favorite portable Sonic games, and if this is the "ultimate" package for Sonic Colors, we should get all the colors content available). Of course, sega probably won't do this, and if they don't, it won't be a tragedy. I see a lot of people saying that they don't want "dolphin on a disk", and while I would like more than that, I'm fine with that too. A lot of people don't realize that most people don't have good PCs and stuff, and can't run Dolphin. Making the game accessible on most platforms, and with some small quality of life features to boot (fingers crossed), I think this isn't a bad thing.
    TL;DR: While I'd like more features (gimmie the DS version), making the game more accessible to people who can't emulate it is overall good.

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I agree, not really seeing the hate here. I mean, besides the one person who keeps repeatedly saying that they hate Sonic Colors, but that's just someone's opinion and we all have them, lol :V

Some folks seem to think Colors was a 10/10 game on release and everyone gave up their firstborn child just to play it. In reality, it received a lot of praise from critics for reinvigorating the boost formula, but there were also a lot of fans who felt pretty lukewarm toward it. They weren't all hiding in a bunker waiting for a magic 11-year criticism embargo to lift, they were pretty vocal from the beginning. Although I'm sure many people's feelings have changed over 11 years because... well, people change a lot over the course of 11 years.

We do remember the disappointment many people expressed at the introduction of the Wisps, yes? Remember, this was during a time where a lot of fans were saying "please stop throwing in gimmicks and just make a Sonic game", and the Wisps were often viewed as just another gimmick. Those people were pretty vocal then... IMO the Wisps were a much better mechanic than I think people feared they would be, but there are still people who don't like them at all.

5. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Give me ONE level in Colors with the complexity of Gens Sky Sanctuary or Rooftop Run.

Colors 3D sections, of which there are only 22 minutes of in the 2-3 hour game, is the reason why people call boost Sonic running through empty hallways.

That game and Unleashed Wii were a large part of the negative opinions towards the boost games throughout the 10s. Considering how well they sold, with Colors outselling Gens on consoles at least, they set up the idea of what boosr Sonic is in a lot of people's minds and not in a good way.

6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Played it back then, thought the boost levels weren't as good as Unleashed but the game wasn't bad.

I still think that the game is just ok., But it never was the savior to the franchise, that people made it out to be.

In retrospect, it was beginning of uninteresting games plotwise (for me at least).

7. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Not trying to derail the thread, but I never understood the hate for the wisps. They always seemed like a creative addition to the Sonic formula. They get a lot of hate, but there doesn't seem to be much wrong with them. I mean, Flickies haven't been in the robots in the main game (I think) for some amount of time, and the wisps giving you boost and powers by freeing them from Robotnik/Eggman is a neat way to do a "powerup" that still makes sense within the Sonic world and gameplay. They probably could've implemented them into the levels better, but the hate of the wisps as a concept just confounds me. Then again, this is coming from the guy who thinks Sonic Lost World is better than generations.

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Not sure why you felt the need to lose your shit on me for saying that people can have their own opinions but ok

The key difference between Colors and "empty hallway design" is that yes, while Colors' 3D segments are pretty straightforward compared to those of Generations (which by the way was developed on far more powerful hardware and had a longer production cycle), they're far from "empty hallways". Let's look at Sweet Mountain:

then compare it to Sunset Heights:

See the difference? In Colors, you're doing a lot more than just moving forward. In Forces, the level design isn't interesting in the slightest. Also the Colors level is pretty substantial in length (even when split!), while the Forces level ends after just a minute with nothing else to do besides moving forward.

I don't really see why you needed to respond to "people can have their own opinions" with "tell me THIS about Colors!!!"

9. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    It's because Colors was the only game to make good use of them, actual expanding the levels and such, and every game afterward just tacks them on because "people liked them in Colors". Can you honestly say Wisps were a worthwhile addition to Lost World?

10. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

I mean I would say that, but I'm not gonna derail the thread again and write an essay that's gonna start a flamewar. Getting back on track, any news on what consoles this is coming to?

11. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    As far as Wisps go, personally I felt they interrupted the gameplay too often, and I thought like 50% of them were pretty uninteresting and just created obstacles that could be solved using other mechanics. I also love hearing stage music during gameplay, so anything that interrupts the music to play a short, repetitive jingle is kind of annoying (I avoid invincibility or speed shoes powerups for this exact reason).

I did like some of the puzzles, and certain Wisps like the spike one and the blue block one were really fun. Like I said, they were implemented MUCH better than I think people thought they would be. I guess it all comes down to "what do you want from a Sonic game", and I just wanna play as Sonic and exploit his movement.

Also.... I've just remember Roger Craig Smith is leaving the role. That would honestly make this the perfect sendoff for him, a remaster of his first game. I wonder if they would keep the voice acting intact, or maybe they would've had him try it again after 11 years' experience.

12. Mana

Mana

I replied because you added (even if they're wrong) to your statement that people can disagree with you that Colors has peak 3D Sonic design. I didn't shit on you or say anything about you as a person either. You made a comment I disagreed with and I replied.

Forces has already built its reputation as a mediocre game so for your argument to be "at least its better than Forces!!" Doesn't bode well.

If Generations has more complex levels on a longer development cycle on stronger hardware that should be the peak of 3d Sonic right?

Do you not think Colors had ANY fault in painting the perception of boost sonic to people? At all?

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I... I was clearly joking

14. Mana

Mana

Don't ignore the rest of my comment please

15. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Not trying to be a buzzkill or anything, but let's not derail too much.
    Again, any word on if this is coming to PC?

16. Mana

Mana

How are we derailing the topic if we're talking about the game and its impact?

Our feelings towards the game are important to our feelings about a re-release. If you liked the game it would excite you much more than if you thought it was okay.

If they had a rumor of a 06 re-release, you don't think a lot of the topic would be debates on the quality of the game?

17. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Good point, I was just worried that this thread would devolve into an argument about something unrelated to the rerelease of Colors, and we try to stay on topic here.
    At this point, we're arguing over whether Generations or Colors are the peak of 3D Sonic, which is not relevant to subject of this. If it was over whether Generations or Colors should be re-released, that's fair. But I feel as if at this point, we've strayed from the original purpose of the topic, which was to discuss the potential leak of a Colors rerelease and a possible German localization, and have gone into whether Generations or Colors is better.

18. Mana

Mana

I brought up Gens because it's relevant to the conversation on Colors and more importantly how opinions on Colors have changed through the years because of that games level designs vs Colors.

I don't think Generations is peak 3D Sonic either FYI. Just commenting on what he said with a counter point.

19. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Your posts seem rather aggressive. You might get better responses if you didn't come across that way.

20. Mana

Mana

Oh whoops. I didn't intend to come off as aggressive.

Sorry I'm just so used to either getting crap or just not a response at all when I say Colors might not be a 10/10 influential masterpiece that I go into defensive automatically.

Carry on.