don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    It looks like there was a compilation of Sonic PC games for the Chinese market sometime between 2001 and 2003; I can only translate the title as "Sonic 4-in-1". The company was an official Sega distributor around this time.

http://games.sina.com.cn/zhuanqu/sonic/pdintro.htm

Interestingly, the titles--3D Blast, S&K Collection, CD and R--don't ever seem to have been bundled in any other country.

2. Is this brand new info? How hard would it be to track this down (considering it's an official release (or at least looks like it) and not a prototype or anything)?

Also, box art looks cool :p

Edit: decided to toss these in google translate real quick. Absolutely do NOT trust these as good translations, but simply as a general idea of what is being said.

---

Sonic CD

In order to stop the conspiracy of his old enemy Egman to destroy the asteroid's ecological environment, Sonic began its operations. However, in front of him appeared an imitation of Aegman's development-Metal Sonic! He not only tried to obstruct Sonic's justice, but also kidnapped Sonic's girlfriend Amy. Can it save the asteroid that is about to be destroyed? Can Amy be rescued? Sonic had to face strong enemies-Metal Sonic and Aegman.

Sonic 3D

Sonic and his friends came to a mysterious island. It is said that there is a mysterious treasure buried on that island-Chaos Emerald. In order to find the treasure, Sonic must first look for the little birds named "Fritch", because those rare birds have an unknown connection with the treasure...

Sonic R

After learning that the registration for the "World Speed Grand Prix" had begun, Sonic and his friend Tiruth immediately decided to participate in the competition. However, the people who noticed this event were not the only two of them. They also included Sonic’s long-time rival Na Cruz, Sonic’s girlfriend Amy, and Dr. Eggman, who was eyeing the Chaos Emerald. With different goals, everyone gathered together on the playing field...

Sonic and Na Cruz

Sonic finally succeeded in destroying the "Egg of Death", Dr. Eggman's fortress who was trying to fly into the universe. Then, he finally came to the hidden forest of the Floating Island and saw Nakruz coming out of a secret exit. What secrets are there in this? Why did Na Cruz appear here?

---
    After all that, I only have one thing to say.

Na Cruz lmao :D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Ah, Na Cruz. The lost classic Sonic character. Would be awesome to see him in Mania 2 =P

Anyway, that's the box art of Sonic the Screensaver. They reused it for that compilation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    I was just bingeing on Sonic 2 development info on the Wiki and TCRF when I noticed something mildly interesting in Genocide City's chunks. I know someone on here misinterpreted the green parts to be water. They're actually elevators, as some faint Katakana in one claim;

[​IMG]

I also noticed a drawing of some canisters(?) that bear a striking resemblance to an unused Chemical Plant sprite;

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I imagine that the elevators design perhaps were intended to bear some resemblance to the elevator in a few Techno Tower acts of Chaotix fame near the stage's beginning.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • List
  5. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I'm waiting for his debut in Lara-Su Chronicles.

Anyway, did China get other Sonic PC games like Adventure DX or Heroes? The compilation seems pretty outdated for a 2001-2004 release.

6. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Na Cruz, yes, but also Tiruth, don't forget him. And the Fritch birds, of course. I wonder how the man from AEG became a threat.

7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Just came across this tweet by Satoshi Okano

EVfSQZLUUAAQlcR.jpeg

And in that thread someone noticed the shoes were different than the Sonic Jam artwork

EVgp2xyWkAEEcsP.jpeg

To which Okano replied:
    I don't know if we've gone over this before or not...

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Ah, the lost "Sonic after stepping on 2 fried eggs" artwork! I thought it was lost forever!:V

9. Nice to know there was actually old artwork without the weird shoes. But why the change in the first place?

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Pretty sure the artwork with the "weird shoes" was the original, then Okano edited it per Naka's request.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about the thing behind the logo being a card. It's much more obvious that it is in this design.

13. ...huh

14. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

So this got posted on twitter today

https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/1374734620156125186

It's a fun little promotional comic for Sega Visions Magazine for the original Sonic 1... only... The wrecking ball is there in the zone and it's a bit similar to how it behaves in the early beta builds.

Nothing ground breaking but I thought it was kinda neat to see how they probably scripted this based on the early beta's instead of a more final build.

Also the ball explodes. And the plot of the comic is literally Sonic's fans nearly ruin his life... LOL!

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Since the tweet doesn't say it, that comes from Issue #7.

16. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    I was trawling my Tumblr blog's Sonic Concept Art tag when I stumbled upon Silver/Mecha Sonic's (The one from Sonic 2 Mega Drive version) CA from the artbook. And something struck me translating the text next to it;

[​IMG]

One of this robot's abilities next to "Laser", "Super Gravity Smash", "Iron Blade Chainsaw" and "Roller Dash" is "Finger Missile".

And it struck me.

Doesn't the mysterious Sonic Robot in Final Egg have missile launchers in its fingers?;

[​IMG]
    TBH, ever since I played SA in 2001 I thought this robot was a Modern-stylized depiction of Silver/Mecha Sonic.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I always figured he was, but it's nice to have more evidence. Looking at the hands this close makes me think they took inspiration from Mechagodzilla.

Well, technically the first thing I thought of was Dragonzord, but he was also inspired by Mechagodzilla so w/e.

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I mean, I think it's obvious from looking at the robot in SA1 that it's a redesign of Mecha/Silver/Robo Sonic. Even more so after the reveal Mecha Sonic is based off MechaGodzilla, as the SA1 robot presents features from newer MG incarnations, like the eyes. I don't get why people have been debating this.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  19. Pengi

Pengi

The original Mechagodzilla had those orange eyes, made from car tail lights. The Sonic Adventure Mecha Sonic has the same panel design on the torso, and the knee spikes.

The Sonic 2 version's art has MS on its arm, after Mechagodzilla's MG.

20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    It wasn't for me, l just saw it as another model and that's all. I thought it could be a prototype of Metal Sonic because it was of a similar size and was stored close to it, but I just was expecting it to show at some point in the game as the newest doppleganger doc would throw to us. I know nothing about MechaGodzilla, so I didn't have that as a reference.

By the way, a bit offtopic, but I refer to these robots giving each one a specific name of the usual list (plus a new name for the last one):
    16-Bit S2: Mecha Sonic
    8-Bit S2: Silver Sonic
    S3&K: RoboSonic
    SA1: CyberSonic