don't click here

What Sonic development secrets do we have left on the list?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by E-122-Psi, Mar 2, 2021.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

We've had quite a haul in the past few years. We've got prototypes of Sonic 1 AND Sonic 3, XTreme protos, the elusive beta levels from the Adventure games, SEGA Sonic Bros, development info on the TT games including a 'Director's Cut' of Sonic 3D, and some more development tidbits of beta Sonic 2. Loads of myths from development we finally have our hands on.

So what elusive things does the Sonic fanbase still need to discover? The only ones I can think of right now are:

* The Tokyo Toy Show demo of Sonic 1.
    * Clean Dust Hill/Sand Shower assets in some form.
    * The beta Sonic 3D build with the pool based Special Stage.

It's truthfully jarring how many things have been uncovered that were thought would remain a mystery forever. The Sonic fanbase just has THAT good resources for finding these things.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  2. RDNexus

RDNexus

Sonic CD's R2 level, I guess?
    If it counts as a dev secret...

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Hard to say, Taxman's team searching through development assets would suggest that very little was made of R2, though they got far enough to implement its position in the game's level order, and as shown with the recent Sonic 1 and 2 discoveries there could still be a lot of stuff from development that SEGA didn't hand the remake team.

I admit it seems odd they would have got as far as getting a cutscene animated for a level they'd barely gotten anywhere in making.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sonic Adventure for Saturn and R2 are the only other ones I can think of.

5. RDNexus

RDNexus

Sonic Adventure for Saturn? What exactly?
    AFAIK, of the Saturn project only JAM's Sonic World exists...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I'm most interested in:

- Earlier Sonic 1 ( alternate MZ lava design)
    - Sonic 3 that used the SVP chip
    - Later Sonic Crackers / Earlier Chaotix build (overworld sprites were found, so I'm really interested in how far that idea got)
    - Desert Zone assets

7. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Anything and everything Sonic 3, especially if there's a build from before Flying Battery got moved.

And the stuff Rika Chou said.

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Oh yeah, Sonic 3 with the complete pre-scandal Michael Jackson soundtrack would be awesome

9. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Earlier version of SMS Sonic 1. Mainly to see if the rumour of it being based more closely on the MD version at one point in its development was true.

Plus, to see if the Yuzo tracks that were released on the Early Collection set are present - we at least know one Streets of Rage 1 track from that set was implemented in that game at one point.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Non-gutted Sonic CD build from late '92. Wasn't the proto we got just a demo with all levels removed aside from the first round?

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Mr. Needlemouse beta. :V

12. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    The canned Silver-focused Sonic game after 06
    Good reference art for multiple characters, including for the spider that was thought to include in Sonic Adventure

13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I too would love to see the original SVP version of Sonic 3.

But really, Sonic was Sega's cash cow. So there's probably loads of pitches, demos, sketchbook ideas and other stuff that we don’t even know about.

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    WHAT

This was going to be a thing? They actually thought people would want MORE 06? That's amazing.

15. Pengi

Pengi

Every game has a story behind its development and a ton of stuff we haven't seen. I'd love to see more of Tails Skypatrol back when it was a Disney game.

16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I thought with Silver it was the other way around. That it started off as a separate (non-Silver title) called Fifth Phantom Saga and then was folded into Sonic 06.

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I think this is the right approach. We may know how much we have, but we'll never really know how much we're really missing.

Yeah, it would be cool to see more than Salad Plains; Tabasco Ruins at the very least, but it would be great if it went all the way up to Kitchen Robot. I made up the names, of course, but I'm more intrigued about if any other silly placeholder names they could have used more than anything else. That's quite a unique proto feature in the Sonic catalog.

18. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    This. I'm not as confident that builds exist for some of the items being talked about here, but I'm very much willing to bet there are random art/music assets, design documents, etc. on most of what we know about. This is to say nothing of what we don't yet know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Silver's voice actor in '06 had something on his resumé called "Sonic the Hedgehog: Awakening". We have no idea what it was.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. Icedland

Icedland

eh? Member
    Thuringia, Germany
    Untimely Clockwork
    A Sonic 3c build from around the same time as the Sonic 3A 1103 build containing Mushroom Valley or a Saturn Build of Sonic Adventure

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List