don't click here

"Multiple" new Sonic games planned for 2021

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Put me in with the group of folks whose opinion of Colors has only worsened over time. Actually, I get almost 0 enjoyment out of it today. But, like y'all said, I don't think that makes it a bad game; if anything, it's probably a reflection of how unimpressed I am by the more recent boost titles.

I think that's how it is for a lot of those aforementioned Reddit and FB users (weird place to get your games commentary from, but I won't question it). I don't usually hear people saying Colors is a bad game, but we are certainly more likely to rag on it in hindsight. I'd be interested in seeing that commentary and seeing why people think it's an awful game, but all in all I'm gonna avoid making a surprised Pikachu face because obviously people are gonna have strong opinions here. They just probably shouldn't be taken as fact. :thumbsup:

UNRELATED, but these images are posters on some guy's eBay, right?
    ...anybody thinking about buying one? :V

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Is that how you're taking my word? Public opinion on media can change as a whole while some people still like or dislike something.

Sounds like you're just offended.
    Adventure games have been getting more praise than ever in the last 2 years. Adventure 2 went from being seen as average or just okay to being seen as the best 3D Sonic game in terms of being a complete package. Something I agree with.

I don't like Colors because I didn't think it was a good game. I still don't. I don't like boosting in empty corridors. I don't like wisps being most of the game. I don't like how most of the game is 2d. I never did.

The rest of the Fandom just happened to catch up.

3. For the record, I have no issue with people who genuinely didn't enjoy Colors, or ones who's opinions flipped as they aged older. That's a natural part of maturing, reevaluating things with a different perspective which is completely fine.

What isn't fine is the notion that Sonic Colors was some harbinger of a "new dark age" that should have never happened, because that's the same logic people threw at the Adventure era games literally ten years ago which led to public opinion of them lessening until recent years. The hypocrisy of it just kind of bugs me; it's ok to hate Colors now because its not the game many Adventure fans wanted, but then they'll cry about how those games had their opinions swayed by general opinion.

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting older and I'm just over this fandom civil war bullshit and understand that it's just a bunch of young adults screaming at each other and I really shouldn't concern myself with it at all.

4. So you're basically admitting that you're operating under confirmation bias; everyone else agrees with you, therefore you're correct.

You have a good day sir, I think I'm finished with this for today.

5. Mana

Mana

No I just don't think Colors is any good and gave all my reasons for it that haven't changed in 11 years.

It did start the new dark age and I will say it's the reason Sonic is where it is now too. Have a good day as well.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I found Colors as underwhelming back in the day as I do now. I thought people were crazy for calling it "the first good 3d Sonic game", as it was a step back from Unleashed's daytime levels in about every area for me. The levels were shorter and didn't flow that well thanks to the enforced platforming, the controls were needlessly limited (you could no longer drift or quickstep outside of specific sections), the Wisps weren't that fun to use, the levels were awfully restrictive with their overabundance of 2d (ironic for "the first good 3d Sonic game"), and it had too many gimmicky and uneven acts. And that's ignoring things like the story's terrible tone, bad characterizations and irritating attempts at humor. But of course, it didn't have the Werehog or "Sonic's shitty friends" (TM), so it didn't get bashed into oblivion.

IMO the only area where it improved the boost formula upon was in making Super Sonic playable in regular levels, and even that felt half-assed, as most levels were too short and didn't have enough rings.

I don't have an issue with people liking it. It's not a terrible game, it's certainly no Sonic '06 or Shadow. But nearly everything about it was underwhelming for me personally, and I've never understood how anyone could prefer it to other boost games (other than Forces).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. I'll see you guys in 2030 when "Sonic Colors is an underrated gem" starts becoming a thing.

8. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I agree with this almost entirely. I will say, I think if you're genuinely asking how people prefer it to other boost games, the answer was no Werehog. Sure the Wisps were a whole gimmick in themselves, which I was never thrilled about, but I think the people in that camp feel that way mostly because well... a lot of Colors is boost gameplay. Almost all of it. While both versions of Unleashed are like, mostly Werehog levels (in terms of playtime).

When initial reviews were coming out for Colors, I remember a lot of reviewers were saying "It's like Sonic Unleashed, but... all of it is Sonic Unleashed!" I wouldn't say that's accurate in hindsight, due to the overabundance (imo) of 2D sections and what felt like Wisp padding... but it certainly was a very pure boost experience. It was everything that a lot of people loved about Unleashed, but simplified.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    When I talked about Boost games padding out the game content with 2D (puzzle) platforming earlier in my first post, Colors’ game design (as well as that of Forces) was exactly what I was alluding towards in that statement.

You can like the game all you want, I’m not even calling it a bad game here. But it can’t be denied on how much the game is built on the 2D precision platforming and the puzzle platforming centered around the Wisp powerups. They take up just as much focus as the Boost gameplay does, if not more. (That’s not even getting into other stuff, like how certain Boost mechanics like the drift, slide, and Quick Step are downplayed if not entirely removed. Or how Colors’ Boost segments/levels aren’t as challenging or as long as those in Unleashed or Generations.)

And when I was talking about the Boost gameplay carrying an entire platform game; I meant an entire campaign of several 3D Boost levels. Much in the same way Mario games, Crash games, and the earlier traditional 3D Sonic games have a campaign of many levels centered on one gameplay style. So to cite only one Modern Sonic level out of Generations (a game split between two playstyles) as a response...?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Mana

Mana

Think it's no better than sonic and the secret rings or shadow and will be treated as such from now on to be honest.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Colours is a fantastic game that still holds up just as well now as it did in 2010.

oh no a classic fan is praising a modern game

In all seriousness - no, you're not correct, not everyone viscerally hates Colours in the way you seem to think they do. Outside the fandom, I know at least one person who's been wanting Colours with HD textures for YEARS now.

As for the posters - ehhhh, not overly impressed - as noted upthread, they do indeed look like someone slapped a load of different images into a PSD and called it a day, though some of the redrawn art's alright. And I think that anyone reading games into it is reaching a bit.

12. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Oh, it'll happen sooner than that. It doesn't matter how much we like or dislike the new voice: A group of fans who've grown up with Sonic over the past 10 years are going to play the next game and collectively go, "That's not MY Sonic!" It's always just a matter of time. And related to that...

I do think you're right that it's not REALLY the case that most people flip-flopped, rather that the people making the most noise 10 years ago are not the same as the people making the most noise now. However, that'll change over time: The zeitgeist is ALWAYS in flux.

But here's the most consistent thing about it: The "fandom consensus" always seems to be that the "last truly great Sonic game" was one that came out ~10-15 years ago, and that it's ALL been downhill after that point. In 2009, Sonic hadn't been good since 1994, or so they said.

But judging the fandom based on THAT paints an extremely inaccurate picture, because the people who make the most noise are ALWAYS the ones who are the angriest and most passionate about how they haven't been getting what THEY want (or, on occasion, the ones who are the most vindicated because they finally ARE: See Colors in 2010, Mania in 2017, the people hyped about Pontac & Graff [probably] leaving, etc).

But contrary to how it might've seemed at the time, there were people who enjoyed Sonic 06 _in_ 2006, just like there were people who enjoyed Forces in 2017, just like there were people who hated Colors in 2010, just like there are people who unabashedly love Classic Sonic now (hello). The actual discourse has always had more nuance on an individual level (I mean, here we are, discussing again whether Colors is good or not RIGHT NOW, with strongly-argued viewpoints on either side of the debate!), but that nuance can get drowned out when one particular group gets noisy enough. ESPECIALLY in an echochamber like Reddit.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Oh, of course! I already see this happening on Twitter and in YouTube comments.

I don't think it's a bad thing either; it's interesting to hear from the people who have grown up with Roger and have come to associate his voice with the character.

14. You mean the same Shadow that people will swear is also underrated.

In any case, yea I think I'm too old for this shit. I feel like Abe Simpson when talking to 17 year old Homer. 17 year old Homer is basically Adventure fans right now.

[​IMG]

I don't think I'm at "Old Man yells at Cloud" level yet though, so I still got some time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Mana

Mana

I think Forces is underrated. The Fandom is very divided in terms of things like this.

Even this Colors conversation showed me this more but like Josh said it might be that people who were teens like me in 2011 are now older and more vocal on our feelings towards the game.

Sonic is interesting.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hah, I never really felt like I was "with it." In the 2000s, I'd get yelled at by fans older than me for still liking the Adventure games. But now, I get yelled at by fans YOUNGER than me for not liking them enough! :V You can't win for trying!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Maybe you never liked Sonic to begin with :VVVV

In any case; Sonic Colors is far from my favorite game in the series, but I honestly don't really hate it either. It sits pretty comfortably in the "It's good, if unmemorable" tier for me. I remember enjoying it for what it was when I first got it, but I don't really remember having the visceral reactions I had with Unleashed and Colors. As far as Boost formula games go, I generally go back to Unleashed or Generations over it.

But that doesn't mean I think Sonic Colors is some abomination that most young fans think it is; the main reason people are claiming that is because it was the first game to actively remove the staples of the series that they were used to, and if there's one thing fans hate, its' change. I know its asking a lot for a bunch of late teenagers/early twenty year olds, but I really wish people could learn to divorce their biases a bit and judge a game on its own merits a bit.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Not making any more vids about Sonic?
    I was expecting new stuff from you ^^"

19. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Based on their own merits, I judge the boost games as poorly designed and not fun to play. With the previous conversation centered around Colors, I'll say that simplistic 2D platforming hindered by awful physics isn't helping that one especially, considering how much of the game is made up of it.

The boost games have bad control in almost the opposite direction compared to Heroes or '06, clunky in a stiff tank sort of way.

I'm hoping Sonic Team has actually addressed the problems with 3D Sonic in the new game rather than continue using bandaids or distractions.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I played through Colors recently. It's not perfect but it's good. Block platforming and 2D heavy? Sure. But it's still pretty fun and at the time it was the perfect thing for Sonic, a sharp turn away from the edge and bloat from the 2000s era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.