don't click here

"Multiple" new Sonic games planned for 2021

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Well Nova told me I have terrible opinions, so that may be part of it xD

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That's weird, it was the exact opposite for me. I ran into hazards and bottomless pits all the time in the Rush series (especially in Rush Adventure), but rarely in Gens 3DS :eyebrow:

3. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    You call that unplayable? Sonic Boom rise of Lyric or sonic 06 are more unplayable than Lost World 3ds.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

When I say Generations 3DS is cheap, I mean in terms of production values. Cheap as in low budget.

Rush was full of moments that were cheap in the unfair sense, although Rush Adventure was objectively full of a lot fewer of them. I implore you to go back and check some time. Rush Adventure removed a lot of the pits, traps and 1HKOs of Rush.

Bad and unfun to play, but perfectly playable (or mostly, in the case of '06). Lost World 3DS is just a constant fight against the controls in the worst level design ever. But I know lots of people like the game.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. Frostav

Frostav

I know this is a place full of Genesis/Mega Drive dudes but let's be real here: Sonic cannot exist solely as a nostalgia-pandering series. That doesn't mean Classic Sonic games shouldn't exist, they absolutely should, and they're great, but it's not a good look when a series endlessly mines the past and never moves forward. And I know you're going to reply that these leaks just indicate that they're moving the nostalgia-pandering to the Adventure era, but in my eyes, going back to that style of game and trying to see what it did right and what it did wrong is a good idea. Because SEGA already made Sonic work in 2D. 3D still doesn't have a strong base and that's getting ridiculous after two decades.

I really want a Mania 2. But I don't want Classic Sonic to be the forefront of the series. He should stick around as a separate line of 2D games while SEGA actually digs Modern Sonic out of the hole he's in. The two need to stop intermingling for no good reason and just exist separately. Especially when Sonic Team has been tastelessly whoring out Classic's most base and superficial elements in the 3D games with little attempt to understand why they were used. I would rather they just stop trying to pilfer from Classic and give modern an identity of his own, leaving Classic in the hands of the Mania team.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Ah, all right then. Gens 3DS' production values looked fine for a 3DS game to me, although I wish they had included 9 zones like the HD game, and the non-animated cutscenes felt kinda cheap and confusing (although not that different from Rush's).

Perhaps that's true, it's been a while since I played them. I just know that when I think "cheap deaths in the Rush series", Sky Babylon is the level that first comes to mind. Maybe the cheap deaths were just all concentrated in that level in that game, making it stand out.

7. This company literally just got rid of their longest-standing voice cast of ten years, for seemingly no stated reason whatsoever; at this point, it should be clear as day that Sega really doesn't care about preserving the things people like and improving, and care more about appeasing the loudest group of people. They've never been good at handling criticism, and nothing seems to have changed given all of the changes that we DO know are coming.

In an ideal world, Sega would take measured responses and act accordingly; this isn't that world sadly, so we're basically playing Russian Roulette on what Sega will keep and what they'll get rid of, because nothing is really sacred to them it seems.

8. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    I never said I wanted Classic Sonic to be the only Sonic. Otherwise, I agree with what you've said in the second paragraph.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Considering Zippo has leaked Mario & Smash stuff before, as well getting right the date for an Animal Crossing Direct, I'm inclined to believe this has some weight. I've also seen his name a few times in my searches for things that didn't end up true, so it's a bit mixed. Still, absolutely wouldn't consider it false.

Plus, the parts where he's comparing Sonic to Dragonball are him giving his thoughts on what he thinks Sega is doing. He mentions as much in the leak itself that he's giving his piece.

IDK, I can believe it. Focusing on one Sonic to be a unified better thing while the fanbase and marketing will continue to support classic Sonic only makes sense to me, since that's what they were already doing. Mania is made by fans, after all, and the amount of fan-content for classic Sonic is neverending when looking both forward and back. It's a shame they don't consider it like an art style to just use in the main games sometimes, buuuuut that's what happens when they're encouraged to treat it like two different Sonics. lol

It just makes sense to focus on the 'modern' branch. It is the Sonic to them, and honestly to most of the common public he's always been the same guy, just with a different art style sometimes. The fact that it sounds like the tv show, the comic and the two upcoming games will all try to stick to a single continuity is.. honestly a really good thing, and unprecedented for this series. Sonic's identity has been so fragmented in the past decade (if not since the beginning), so a unified angle is a good one.

Also, I'd hardly call "3D game without 2D sections, a Spin Dash and multiple characters" an "Adventure fanboy Christmas list". Unless you think just wanting a 3D Sonic game that sounds good is somehow pandering lmao.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  10. Taylor

Taylor

I know this guy has gotten some stuff before but as been said, this leak seems too good to be true, at least from the perspective of a sonic fan that grew up through the 00s.

I do think it's very likely that SEGA will continue to focus on Modern Sonic though. Just look at IDW is doing :shrug:

11. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I would like to see an "Advance 4", taking some elements from the Advance trilogy and the classics gameplay as well, with the modern designs. That would add so many possibilities to the level design, especially if it has the full Advance cast and with Amy having her hammer based platforming. Just as long as Dimps doesn't make it because it's clear they lost their way with Sonic.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    My theory for the next Sonic game is simple:

We will find out what it is when it is announced.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Frostav

Frostav

Well to be fair, Sonic was transferred to being in the hands of SoA, not SoJ, right? The games will still be developed in Japan but the American branch is now the stewards of the brand as a whole. This would be the first game under the stewardship of SoA, so if any time's the time to take a step back and make some big changes, it'd be this game.

14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yeah imagine being upset that there won't be anything more of one of the best games in the series in the past decade, can't possibly imagine why

/s

15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Tbh if any of that info comes true, I'm just...god I really don't care for any of it? The last "adventure-style" game was 06; the last game that used any one of the Adventure-type features was Unleashed - neither of these fill me with confidence. Dimps' games in the past decade have been mediocre at best. We still wouldn't be getting a non-mobile release of the classic games' best ports. I'm fuckin miffed about nothing more like Mania because it was fun as hell and I wanted to see more new stuff come from it, and it seemed like it might've been able to lead the series into another really good period using design ideas and elements that made this series into a juggernaut to begin with...and then they just did nothing with it. I also don't feel that Mania's appeal is in """nostalgia pandering""" - lots of people who weren't Sonic superfans liked it too, because it was fundamentally well-made. God forbid we have more of that in this series!

Unless Sega magically pulls out another far more competently managed team, it just seems like I'm going to be sitting here for another decade just talking about Sonic instead of playing Sonic, and that makes me so damn sad.

16. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR LEVEL HEAD AND LACK OF HYPERBOLE! We don't do that here.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The idea of two modern Sonic games and a collection of never-before rereleased games all being announced at once seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Like, I'm not so down on Sonic Team as to suggest they'd never do the thing people want, but this seems like three things people have wanted all at the same time, and even bigger studios have trouble pleasing that many people at once. Don't get me wrong, I hope it's true. I hope that the 3D game is a non-boost Sonic platformer that doesn't control like garbage, and I don't think that's an impossible thing. I hope the 2D game is as good as DIMPS's better games, if they are indeed developing it (again, though, seriously a waste of the Mania team if they're not being used in any way), and I hope the new collection is real and has a bunch of the portable games we haven't seen on main consoles yet. But that's a lot of things to hope for. I guess we're only stuck waiting a month if so, and if this person's lying then it's not going to be forgotten before they're proven wrong, but it seems a little more utopian than I'm willing to entertain currently.

18. jbr

jbr

I'm one of those Megadrive dudes, and I think this is a very fair point, although in my mind the solution always seems simple: a modern 2D platformer, starring modern Sonic if they like, with fully 3D graphics instead of pixel art, but based on the classic engine. For me personally, all I really want is a hit of that classic physics engine with branching level design (not the pale imitation Generations gave us), and I otherwise couldn't give a shit about the art style, or even if I'm playing as Larry the Sexy Leopard (or whatever the fuck the modern characters are called). I often think that a 2.5D game would work well like this, with whatever gameplay style they like for the 3D portions and then some good old bread-and-butter momentum based platforming in the 2D parts, which is IMO the whole reason Sonic even exists. I dunno, what do you guys think? Would that work or am I just overly nostalgic?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I'm sorry but I can't fathom being so absurdly cynical that "fully 3D Sonic platformer akin to the Adventure gameplay and a return of the spindash" immediately implies another Sonic '06. (and I can be pretty cynical)

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Yeah! After all, other than the 2D levels that's Lost World, and that game's better than 06 and Unleashed.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.