don't click here

Several Voice Actors Leave The Sonic Franchise

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by jubbalub, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Honestly, this is why I posted the original source a few pages back. It's always better to view things from the source rather than news sites in this case because everyone jumps to conclusions.

I have to echo the statements about the union situation. That is what's going to make or break a deal with Ryan reprising the role.

2. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I definitely don't remember most 13-year-olds I ran across in middle school being that wheedily voiced lmao

Drummond I feel got it right from the get-go, a teenager trying to sound cool. Junichi has always sounded like "Sonic" to me, his timbre and manner of speech are "just right" IMO.

god I miss the Adventure 1 & 2 tails voice still. that and Drummond's Sonic, and either Eggman VA are pretty much the main English performances I actually cared a lot about

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I feel like Drummond in SA2 is the closest Sonic in the English versions of the games came to matching Kanemaru's voice and performance, so if he returns and captures that same vibe, I'd be more than happy if he did return, I just doubt that he will because Sega.

4. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I think you're missing my point, it's not that Pikachu needs to sound exactly like it does for it to be authentic to me, and I understand why Reynolds was selected (I also said Danny Devito to try and prevent this exact response). But you basically make my point when you said "JUXTAPOSTION". Juxtaposition from what?... from what the viewer expects. It's not just a coincidence that tiny characters usually have small or squeaky voices, and for that matter Pikachu could sound like Tweety Bird, or Spongebob, etc. And before someone misses my point further, I'm not just talking about small characters or yellow characters. I'm saying that we all operate with certain expectations of what sounds particular body forms will emit, be them small/large/young/old/good/evil, etc. I didn't need to hear the classic Pikachu voice to expect he would sound similar to that based on appearance. But if Pikachu had this grading-deep-stoner voice from the beginning, it would not have sounded like what people expected based on the body form. That's all I'm saying about Sonic voice actors. I'm not laying my nostalgia of Jaleel onto what I think Sonic should sound like, I'm just saying that the bio says Sonic is 15, not 40, which is what the current variant of his voice sounds like.

Ok... but Jaleel actually was about the same age as Sonic when he voiced the character. To use your same logic, I certainly don't remember the 13 year olds I ran across sounding like a chainsmoking 40-year-old surfer. I would be more surprised to her Roger's voice come out of a 15 year old then I would Jaleel's. Can we not even agree on that?

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I would agree but he's really rough these days, if the Sonic & Tails R fanseries is anything to go by. I much less want him and much more would prefer someone who can evoke that spirit.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    To be fair, it's a fan series, likely with little to no voice direction. In the right circumstances he might be able to pull it off.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I suppose Roger stands out due to just how different he was from previous voice actors. You have 12 years of Sonic sounding like a surfer dude but then he suddenly becomes much more gruff. 16 year olds can have deep voices sure, just odd that Sonic got one after not having one.

That being said Rouge's Sonic X voice actress DID sound like she chainsmoked

8. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I'm gonna quote myself from a previous discussion regarding how Sonic's voice should realistically sound:
    Also lmao at the idea that Drummond sounded older than Smith. :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Linkabel

Linkabel

While we're on the subject of what Sonic should sound like etc etc.

Anyone know the source of where Ohshima said he envisioned Sonic having an East Coast accent/feel in his voice? I remember some members mentioning this in this forum, and I've been seeing it again on social media because of the cast changes but can't seem to find the original source.

Anyone know?

10. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    To be fair, his performance as Sonic was helped a lot by the script giving him a lot of good material. Sonic has never had a chance to be so much of a cocky badass who is in control of every situation in any other 3D game (other than Forces) so Drummond's acting reflected that type of character well.

It's why Forces helped me appreciate RCS a lot. Sure you can say the story isn't good but Sonic's characterization was perfect in that game and with solid material in that regards RCS got to shine.

Also, I don't want any of the old VA's to return. If they're trying to start fresh then start fresh. Drummond is gone and we have to move forward. I'm sure there's a perfect Sonic out there and we don't even know who he is yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. My youngest sister has a nephew who is 6 years older than she is-

Imagine being 6 years older than your aunt-

But I digress...

12. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Just hire Penny Parker.

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    If I'm recalling correctly, Tails had different voice actors for each of those games in both English and Japanese.

14. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Tails' English SA2 voice is the younger brother of his SA1 voice. The kid's voice was changing by the time Sonic Shuffle was recorded, so he was replaced. They sound very similar though, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people didn't know. I have no idea about the Japanese voice though.

But I miss Tails sounding like an actual kid as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    Ignoring people arguing, and then arguing about arguing, then arguing about toxicity...

Yeah, whilst I don't hate Tail's voice currently, +1 to the idea that Tails would actually sound like a kid, both in voice acting and in dialogue. I feel like having an actual kid play the character at least means that you're not going to get extremely sophistocated vocabulary, because it has to actually be read out by a kid lol :P

Like, we don't bat an eyelid at a lot of child characters being voiced by adult women, but voice direction and dialogue is usually better than what we get in Sonic games lol, so usually doesn't work out very well. The problem with child VAs is that... well, their voice will naturally age, so all this about character consistency we want, just won't happen.

16. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Here's a throwback - does anyone remember the rampant rumors back in the day that Jake Lloyd was the voice of Tails? There were a few old school community members who swore up and down it was the same voice, I think it was just residual Phantom Menace hype talking though.

17. Child actors are only practical in series that will actually end, or when the aging is a natural part of the growth. Since Sonic is neither of those things, having adult women voice him is ideal for the long term.

I admire the attempt at "realism" but you also need to think long term too. Its better to have an adult woman than to keep looking for new child actors.

18. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I had no idea that's really cool.

19. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Yeah, getting actual children to voice children only woks when it's done as a stylistic choice ala the Peanuts specials which wouldn't sound right without the stilted voice acting and pronunciations that you can only get from actual children. Or when it's someone who's 11-12 and they have actual acting capabilities. But as you said those kids will get older and unless you want to do like Adventure Time did with Finn and have the character get older with the actor, you're going to have to replace them every few years as the voices get deeper.

I haven't had any problems with the 2010's Tails' voices the way this guy did so I might be a bit biased but I'm fine with women continuing with the role.

20. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    Tbh I would very much love to hear the voice actors we *did* have to have a good script, along with some good voice directors. I genuinely wonder whether, given the right direction, whether the same people complaining would still be complaining. I still think it's entirely voice direction, and the current Tails voice would be fine, but ruined by terrible writing and direction.

Like, we know Mike Pollock can do a menacing Eggman, so there's no doubt that he almost is the defacto Eggman given the correct script. The other VAs have been limited by terrible writing and direction, so would they still be considered in such negative light if they had some good content? I don't think so personally.