don't click here

Several Voice Actors Leave The Sonic Franchise

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by jubbalub, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    The video in question, and if the timestamp isn't working, he talks about it at 51:31.

Specifically, he's said that his agent did contact Sega to see what's possible, but that there's a lot of factors we aren't aware of.

It's also worth noting that Sega was VERY hands-off when it came to the movie. Paramount bought the license and that was pretty much it in terms of oversight. While they may seek some consistency, it's also very likely they're inclined to let Paramount do their own thing while Sega does it's own thing with Sonic.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You should assume everyone is replaced just like the last two times.

I have to assume people are only bringing this up because she had a cameo line in the movie.

3. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I thought she was already confirmed to be returning in the sequel movie?

Anyway, nobody assumed the whole cast is being replaced because other cast members (including Colleen) were giving Roger thanks/goodbyes on social media and gave no indication that anyone other than Roger is leaving the series.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

No, she isn't. She voiced Tails in the movie likely only because the movie wasn't a guaranteed success at the time of production (remember the first trailer?) and therefore Paramount didn't want to invest a big Hollywood name like they are inevitably going to do for the sequel.

5. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    My money's on Tom Holland voicing Tails in the sequel.

6. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    I could've sworn I saw it reported that she was returning for the sequel, but now I can't find anything about it, so I must be misremembering.

Maybe there's hope yet for an Amy replacement. :p

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I hope not. Cindy Robinson does a fantastic Amy. She was absolute God awful Free Riders, Generations and Lost World, but as soon as Boom started she became absolutely top-notch. I love the range she gets. Like see this cutscene from 13:08 onwards:

Robinson's Amy, Pollock's Eggman and O'Shaughnessey/Villard's Tails are great. I seriously don't want to see them replaced in the games. It's already a big shame that Smith has left (read: been given the boot by SEGA) and Villard isn't a part of Prime.

8. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah I just saw this too. Jesus, why is this happening? From a purely personal taste point of view I'm glad than Pontac and Graff are out, but it looks like all the recently announced/leaked/rumoured changes are likely the result of SEGA'S throwaway attitude and poor respect for the talent they hire with these these VAs seemingly leaving their posts (plus the other cast changes since Colours). I can't get behind that at all.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I mean, last time we got a writer change all the VAs changed as well. The first VA change was just Sega Japan making Sega America change the voices though.

11. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    I absolutely hate her voice as Amy. It's so grating and annoying. Especially in Boom. So this is more good news for me.

12. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    At this point if anyone is doubting that the entire cast is being let go and replaced they're just clinging unto a false hope. I am 1000000% sure the next game will be a Colors like mini reboot now.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Do not like almost any of these voice actors so honestly let's gooooo. Hope the next ones aren't worse.. LOL

14. Frostav

Frostav

Damn, she was probably my fave of the Amy VA's. I think Douillard and Ortiz had better voices, but Robinson had much better acting to be frank (the first two were directed so hard to sound squeaky and high-pitched that it got a bit grating, Robinson had a much more natural pitch that made Amy sound a bit older...fitting for the Boom version, maybe not the regular version, of Amy).

Honestly that matches my general opinion of the "modern era" voice actors: I often preferred the exact voices of the earlier actors, but the modern era is basically the only one where the actors were actually directed well and they didn't just haphazardly use rushed takes for all the lines. They sound far more natural than the earlier two casts.

15. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I think they might just go with the Prime cast because they're going to be doing the show anyways and I think Canada gives discounts for recording productions there. I know they do for live action and animated series and that might extend into dubbing too. Could be a win win for them.

I also think Mike Pollock is staying because he mentioned how important his NDA's were recently while everyone else has been able to bluntly say they've been replaced.

16. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

I want Lisa to reprise her role as Amy.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  18. Turbohog

Turbohog

It would be a huge mistake to replace Mike Pollock. I can live without the rest of them, but don't change Egmman.

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Yeah, when the previous living voices for Eggman/Robotnik are essentially all dead aside from Jim Cummings and Gary Chalk, Mike Pollock is literally all we have left of this franchise's history.

It sounds like they're going scorched earth, but replacing him at this point would be an awful decision. He's been doing Eggman for over years now.

Honestly, my guess is something about contracts coming into play here is the reason. I'm guessing the decision is to go with 100% local inhouse LA based Talent, possibly tied to a single film studio's ownership now that the movie's involved.