don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    It definitely sounds like an interesting idea, but execution is key. I won't be overly excited until I see some proper footage from the show. That being said... I think everyone's ideas here will probably be more creative and more exciting to fans of Sonic than the actual show will be lol :P

I don't expect much until I see a name of someone working on the show who *understands* Sonic. Like, imagine if you saw Tyson Hesse in the art director role, or someone like Aaron Webber over-seeing everything, I think I'd be immediately more excited knowing those names were at the helm. As it is right now, it sounds interesting, but I expect nothing from it.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Just wanted to point out, in case anyone gets too amplified on hype juice if/when this gets around, but there's a tumblr post giving news on Sonic Prime just spun one bit really hard.

[​IMG]

The above is taken wildly out of context, as that's not what was asked at all. Here's the original post:

[​IMG]

This tells us basically nothing about the show; whether for or against it being part of the modern Sonic canon. lol

Best to assume it's not until you have a reason to.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  3. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I have a little more faith now. A lot of the isues with their 2010's output was working with companies and producers who wanted them to make things that ONLY appealed to children because that's just what they wanted but if they have a chance to make something like Ben 10 or Generator Rex again which has a huge adult fandom this could be great.

I'm really tired of the idea that just because something is aimed at kids it should only appeal to kids. There's an episode of Adventure Time where Finn is suffering from depression after getting his hand ripped off by his father and goes around hooking up with random women to fill the void. At the end he remembers the importance of loving and living for just one person again and moves on. This is in a show who's target audience is children 7-11.

I don't expect anything like that but you don't have to talk down to your audience just because you're writing in a children's franchise and I hope SEGA gives them the freedom for some emotional and epic storytelling.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  4. If they did that, people would just complain if said vision deviated from "their" interpretation of Sonic. It's a no-win scenario. At least in this case, it can serve as a potential jump off point so to speak for people. "This is what Sonic will be going forward, take it or leave it" and the changing of the voice cast is kind of giving me that vibe.

But this is Sonic we're talking about, so don't expect it to be the most graceful of transitions.

5. Mana

Mana

I don't know if you don't remember but there was a time where there were splits in the Mario fandom between the 2D fans, 3D fans, fans of the old cartoons, fans of Mario 2 USA, and experimental works like Sunshine and the entire 2000's era.

Around the New Super Mario Bros Wii era Nintendo made the great decision to ignore all those people and make games that went in the direction they wanted and stopped trying to appeal with a slowly more fracturing fanbase and it worked to great success. The Mario Bros Wii style is the general look the franchise has used going forward and even when they do things like go back to the open world design in Oddessy they do so without making new splinters in the fanbase.

I think that's part of why they're so meh on rereleasing games from the GC and early Wii era outside of the main series titles because they're so distinct in style to anything before and after they know they could wind up with Sonic's problem of a community that has too many desires going too many ways.

If they find a good direction here and stick to it and ignore the people who don't like it as long as more do we could eventually have a franchise with a set identity. And like with Mario they could still do stuff with his older stuff like new Classic games and Adventure style games while making sure it's clear these are one offs and the direction they have now is where they're going from now on.

Think that would be the best thing to do.

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    If they did that, people would just complain if said "jump off point" deviated from "their" interpretation of Sonic. It's a no-win scenario....

7. One of the biggest complaints I've seen about Mario games (and Sonic games too since Colors hilariously) is how homogenized the series became after NSMB. Sure, it led to "consistency" but at the cost of what many felt was a lot of variety the series provided.

Now if that's what you want Sonic to be, homogeneity and a consistency, then fine. Just saying there could be more potential problems, especially since Sega don't have the same level of clout as Nintendo to just say "Piss off" to half of it's fanbase and make bank. At least that's my opinion.

Thank you for your very intellectual post, now if you don't have anything insightful to say, then I'll assume you never had a point to begin with and and you're just trying to get a rise out of me.

If so, then I have no interest in continuing this conversation, so you have a good day sir.

8. Mana

Mana

Yes because if you keep the same direction for 10 years and it generally has good reception and is well liked it will become seen as the new norm from the franchise and the splinters won't matter as much and will slowly fall to the void. If every game after Colors and Generations had been great then I doubt the amount of people begging for the Adventure style to return would be as big because a lot of it comes from how polarizing the games have become a desire to go back to what worked. Heck, that's why we had such a classic obsession in the 10's because of those same reasons.

I'd be bold enough to say that if Sonic was consistently being well reviewed and beloved in the 10's we'd have never even gotten Mania. There's nothing wrong with finding a direction that works and sticking with it.

9. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    My insight is that you literally use the exact same logic to both shut down opinions you don't agree with, and support your own. I merely replaced my word, "vision", with your word "jump off point". I bring this phony logic to your awareness and you respond by sarcasm to call me unintellectual, rather than add legitimacy to your opinion...

My statement also provided a rational as to why there will be multiple Sonic's in this cartoon, which hitherto people were questioning.

You know it's actually very frustrating for those of us who selectively make thoughtful contributions to immediately and illogically have them shut down by the same handful of people that can't share any oxygen in these forums. Now please call me 4Chan or whatever.

10. Wildcat

Wildcat

“There already is one, we’re just adding to it” - imo does imply they’re using previous versions. The big question is will that include the old cartoons or will the multiverse only consist of Game material?

The thing I have a hard time figuring out is how many separate universes could there be if it’s only game related? I thought about this last night. Let’s say for now the main protagonist Sonic (the one we follow) is a new version that meets the others.

Plausible other game universes

Classic
    Modern
    Arcade
    Boom (there are 2 games)
    Concept (Bunny design and unused stuff, similar to Epic Mickey)

You don’t need all them for a good story. 3 would probably be sufficient. If they’re being conservative but it does not sound like it at the moment.

However if Modern is the main protagonist and there really is no Classic they’ll most likely introduce a new version for the sake of the show which I assume anyway. Without acknowledging any of the old cartoons or even the movie (if it’s allowed) it kind of limits things a little.

Either way I’m still really excited. Yes I’ll be disappointed if SatAm/AoStH is not included. It’s a perfect opportunity for them to be involved in the grand scheme of the story even if they only get a brief amount of screen time.

Josh mentioned being on Netflix would be another reason to bring attention to them. It did not occur to me but that’s right.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Getting your hopes up for anything Archie, SatAM, AoSTH is pretty wild. I'm pretty certain that this is going to be loosely picking up wherever the modern games left off without being tied to any one of them, and any alternate universes/timelines will be exclusive, new content for the show alone. The alternate universes might not even have different takes on Sonic. If you're lucky, a Classic universe might show up somewhere far down the line, but even then it'll be more tantamount to Generations and Forces than any other Sonic canons.

This is part of why I hate multiverse shit. It gets pretty confusing with all the possibilities. Again, this is going to be the Sonic Prime Multiverse. A canon of its own universes. Nothing to do with anything else.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    If it's even featuring modern Sonic, that is. I feel like it's way more likely for it to not be than anything else; not sure why everyone's so convinced it will be.

Did people really get that attached to the silhouette being modern Sonic? I mean, Sonic 4 had the Sonic 1 emblem silhouette, so I mean.. it's likely just for marketing's sake, guys.

13. Dude, I didn't shut down anything; you made a point, I responded to it, then you made a sarcastic remark in trying to discredit my point, and now you're playing the victim as if I'm trying to silence your opinion.

Sorry this isn't the echo chamber that you want it to be, but I'm not going to hold my tongue just because I don't follow the popular opinion. If you want an echo chamber, you're more than welcome to find another community who shares your opinion with no dissenters.

Now if you want to actually have a discussion about the topic instead of going off on this meaningless tangent, then by all means.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Oh sure.

I mean, I'm personally thinking that the Modern Sonic design is the most likely one to be on display here. And if not that, then the movie's design instead. I don't think SEGA want another Boom scenario on their hands here. When I say modern Sonic though, I literally just mean the design. Technically following on from all the previous games, but never alluded to. Kind of like Unleashed, I guess is the best way to describe it? Unleashed is technically set after the events of every Sonic game that came before it, you're barely expected to know anything about the series. At best, you'll be wondering what the Emeralds are and who Tails is. Modern Sonic design because that is still the main Sonic design. Modern Sonic is such a dumb name.

My bet is the show will start off with Sonic fighting Eggman and during that conflict, he does something dangerous that causes problems across the multiverse. Or it'll be the movie design and something happens regarding all of his rings because they can create warps or something.

15. Wildcat

Wildcat

I know that SatAm/AoStH could be left out altogether. However I disagree the multiverse will be a totally different take just made for the show.

The announcement says “strange new multiverse” but to me that reads more like it’s new to Sonic. Not to the audience. Although I’m sure there will be actual new material too. I’m not saying the whole show will be made up of previous versions.

I find it hard to believe that they’d make a show about the multiverse and purposely make everything different while ignoring every past version.

16. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

Not hopeful at all. The multiverse bit enrages me since it's probably just going to be IDW and some games.

17. Frostav

Frostav

No, they don't, because Mario has never been a series with strong continuity, or really ANY continuity at all. But Sonic has been. It's always been--even in the Genesis trilogy, there was more effort put into the worldbuilding than most other platformers (the mere fact that the zones are designed to all be actual places Sonic is travelling through and not merely just obstacle courses alone proves this right), the games clearly took place one after the other, and 3&K of course has been lauded for taking pains to make Angel Island feel like a real place Sonic is adventuring through.

The Adventure era needs no comment. The Boost era still has more plot and dialogue than Mario ever did, though. Even in Colors and Lost World, there's still some kind of story. Sonic may have shed the overwrought narrative focus of the 2000's, but even when it's trying to be Mario, it still has more plot and dialogue than Mario. Like, even the Riders games had stories. When they could have just been completely plotless spinoffs like Mario Kart. Even the MK ripoff TSR has a story mode!

So yeah, it's not really comparable to Mario. Sonic is more in a Zelda-like situation where the creators have backed themselves into a corner and just looked for quick exits, both series basically just throwing their hands in the air and saying "we're not even going to pretend we care about fixing this mess kthxbye". Zelda did it a lot more gracefully though due to how each game is self-contained...

18. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Just what?? Each Link is literally a different person, that’s the entire point. How is this an apt rebuttal whatsoever? Don’t forget oxygen is flammable guys. I’m outta here for a while. Just the same people endlessly telling us “how it is”.

19. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    we'd be very very very lucky to get idw imo

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm assuming they're backing up their point about how making each Link (thus, the entire point) a different person was how they gracefully tackled the issue after backing themselves into a corner. Either way, hopping out for a bit is probably for the best. I'm not even going to pretend to understand how or why there's this weird back and forth going on in this page, but bringing it to a stop with less confrontational dialog from the involved parties would go a long way here.