don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member

So, I suppose no one has brought this up in here yet. I would've mentioned this in a CD hacking thread, but this mod is a pretty big thing that I'm sure more people would want to see.

There's now a mod for Sonic CD-- Time Travel Overhaul, by TheStoneBanana --where you can time warp just as Oshima intended! Complete with Back to the Future esque fire trails. Full notes:

Go here on GameBanana to download it, if you have a copy of Sonic CD for Steam.

After playing a full 100% run with it (twice), I can confirm this is the best the game has ever played. It's so nice to see this title finally live up to the original vision. Plus, the QOL changes are things I think anyone could appreciate.​

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I was wondering if someone could pull off the instant time travel! Thanks for the link!

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    How do I install it? I'm trying to use the Sonic CD Mod loader and putting it into the mod folder but it just cases a crash?

4. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I actually finished CD for the first time because of this amazing mod. I would like to see a version where the camera stays on Sonic while the scenery changes around him, but the mod as is incredible. For me, it made the idea of time travel much less daunting.

My only complaint is how it's activated. The creator opted to have it active via peel-out or spindash only it prevent accidental travel, but I found it disincentivizes using them. Many times I fond myself accidentally hitting a future sign post in the past and struggling to get around with only limited spindashing. I can understand the reasons for it, but there has to be a more nuanced solution.

All in all, I'd recommend checking it out! I find turning off the time limit for stages improves the experience as well (Tangent: what on earth was Sonic Team thinking by keeping that time limit?)

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    You might have to make it top priority in the mod loader if you don't already, and make sure you don't have anything that would clash with it (like the Sonic CD Refined mod, or anything like that). Other than that, not sure. Might have to ask the creator.

I realize this is a problem too with it, though it's way less frustrating than it originally was so I give it a pass. Either way, I imagine giving the option to 'cancel' the time warp effect placed on you would be good. That, or just make warping exclusive to the Super Peel-Out, while Spin Dashing is free of it. Granted, that would prevent Tails from being able to, unless someone modded the game to give him a Peel-Out of his own..

6. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

They finally modded the real Knuckles into the pc Version of the game.

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This gives me hope that super forms are coming soon in some way

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Awesome! (Only way to do this previously was with *checks notes* the homebrew DS demo)

9. Nova

Nova

I'd never thought of playing Knuckles in Sonic CD but now that I have, I can't believe it hasn't already been done somehow before this. Honestly really cool!

10. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I just beat the whole mod. He was meant for this game. The exploration is a perfect fit for him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. I honestly can't wait to see layout and art edit-mods on future and other things we didn't saw before.

12. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Ah, I've been looking forward to this. After the script decompilation I knew it was simply a matter of time before somebody modded my boy Knuckles into the game! Just a little bit rough around the edges right now, but otherwise it's a perfectly serviceable mod.

This has been said already, but Knuckles is a great fit for the more exploratory style of Sonic CD. I always was a little disappointed Tails got in on SCD 2011 but Knuckles didn't. Sure, flying makes it easier to navigate some of the more chaotic level layouts, but gliding and climbing? You son of a bitch, I'm in!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they have to fight a bit to get Tails in CD?

14. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

THIS is what I was hoping for and I just checked Gamebanana to see if someone made it, and of course they did! I never got around to using the custom US past tracks mod, but this means you won't have to fiddle with the setting in the mod loader anymore.

Man, it's like we're in a new era for these classics, and I hope that the mods coming out of these decomps live up to my expectations.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Mods are working now. Knuckles and US Past music are great additions.

Now just get the super forms in, and build completed acts for R2 and R9 and we've completed the ultimate version of this game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. RDNexus

RDNexus

I may be a sucker for the JP/EU OST...
    But I wonder why the US OST had no Past Themes for the levels.

17. simtek34

simtek34

MN
    From the Sonic CD page on the Wiki: "The only tracks in the original version that were left untouched were the "past" mixes, as they had been programmed into the game and would require a greater amount of effort to change than simply replacing one set of Redbook audio files with another."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I've always preferred the Japanese soundtrack as well (and I still do), but the US one has some good tracks as well, and I particularly love most of King Meteor's new past tracks because they all do a really good job at evoking the past time periods in my eyes.

I just love having options.

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Giving this a slight bump to note that the Knuckles mod now has completed animation and fixes many glitches. I've already done 3 playthroughs with him now (normal with timestones, full exploration hunt where I destroy every generator and travel to every time period in every act at least once, ending on good future, and a straight run bad future playthrough).

Knuckles is perfect for this game. His physics are very fun to play around with, fit into the game quite easily, he actually has minimal glitches, and his lower jump didn't give me a single major issue in navigating through the game's existing pathways. Sure, like Tails in some ways he makes the game much "easier", but he's the perfect character for those more interested in hunting items like the robot generators. It feels just like the Emerald Hunting levels in SA1 and 2 and is an enjoyable experience and challenge in its own right in a way we've never quite had in 2D Sonic before.

Also, you may want to check out the existing mod that restores the currently incomplete Desert Dazzle to the game.
    https://gamebanana.com/maps/214074

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Man, I’d love to see somebody use these new developments to try and realise Final Fever based on the mock-up and what Taxman shared about it.

Incorporating the game’s time travel gimmick into a boss in the way Taxman had envisioned is one of the most entertaining gameplay ideas I’ve heard of in a Sonic game.