don't click here

Sonic 1, 2, and CD Remake Decompilation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jubbalub, Jan 18, 2021.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Egg Gauntlet is available in paid versions before v3.0.9, and in pretty much all of the SEGA Forever versions for some reason

And to ease some worries, Taxman is actually very supportive of what's been done with these. He has no problem with it. Stealth I can't say much on, but I imagine he'd feel the same way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Stealth made his hacking tools a paid for thing, so I have my doubts he may share the same opinion as Tax.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    That was years ago, though. Unless he's done it recently?

4. jubbalub

jubbalub

That was sooo long ago I don't think it reflects his current opinion.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That plus they prob haven't made money from either Sonic 1 or 2 since 2013, I don't see why they'd care at this point almost 8 years later

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I didn't mean it to blow up like this, I was just saying that I've never seen anything saying otherwise besides his past behaviors. Tax seems to be supportive and has shown it. Which is why my assumption would be neutral on him. No idea what stealth is up to nowadays.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Aw, I wanted to try this, but not even the x86 version works in xp :(

late edit: thanks to Clownacy I could finally play this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I thought you used Windows 7.

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

Excuse me this question...
    Why was Egg Gauntlet removed from Sonic2 '13?
    It was talked about, but I no longer remember.

10. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    If memory serves me right, SEGA didn't want the bosses to be seen out of the zones they were in. That's what it says on TCRF I think.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It's also on the Retro wiki with a link to Taxman himself explaining it: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...-taxman-and-stealth.31061/page-87#post-772621

12. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Here's a Wii U port of Sonic CD. It expects the files to be in a folder called 'SonicCD' on the SD card.

Unfortunately, it's a little crashy right now because the decompilation has a race-condition problem. I won't be able to work on this for the next couple of weeks, so I figured I'd just release what I have so far.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  13. The S1/S2 decompilation also had a few race-condition problems but I think they've been ironed out, so I'll go and make sure the appropriate areas in CD also have fixed applied so they dont crash as much

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

Would be nice if things could reference a Data folder first without having to completely extract the data file's contents and then overwriting things inside the corresponding folder carefully, but that's mostly just a quality-of-life / modding future proofing sort of thing rather than a priority idea.

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

Excuse me for asking... Will these games be ported to PC or remain playable through the decompiler?

16. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I mean, they're playable right now. I beat Sonic 1 last night with no problems.

If you mean whether SEGA will port them... uh, maybe? I dunno.

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

Not SEGA, they'd have done it by now if they cared.
    When the decompiler got released, it seemed to me from there they'd make the games properly playable on PC rather than from the decompiler.
    Maybe I'm wrong, since the decompiler is working nicely.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually one thing fun to come out of this. Mods! Gamebanana now has mod sections for Sonic 1 and 2.

Sonic 1: https://gamebanana.com/games/6620
    Sonic 2: https://gamebanana.com/games/6526

With that now all the original series have wide-screen modern ports available, even if only 1 of them was ever official (Sonic CD).

I'm all for moving past modding the Genesis originals, these seem a lot easier to work with.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, there is no mod loader yet. Gamebanana's shit interface confused me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  19. jubbalub

jubbalub

As far as I am aware there is definitely no mod loader yet available. RDC and RMG are planning to add a built-in mod loader and menu in the coming months.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List