don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hmmm... I'd claim that's Forces or Lost World for me but neither game is particularly "charming."

Colors falls into that category for me I guess. It's charming but not quite great. Might be a bit better than mediocre though.

Sonic R is my charming mediocre game lol that soundtrack

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Yeah I really don't think Colors is a mediocre game. It is a good game, maybe not what we expected from a Sonic game in terms of speed, but a good game.

Lost World and Forces are indeed mediocre and not charming, I guess.

And jesus I hate Sonic R.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I know Sonic R isn't great, I just can't help but find it charming. I love it's soundtrack so much. Also Metal Knuckles. But fuck if I can't 100% that game in 30 minutes haha

4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Heroes ensured I didn't pick up a 3D sonic title for a decade.......

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://segaretro.org/Sonic_Heroes

"Based on 1 review".

Yes people should add more ;)

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because it seems every topic these days degrades to "I LIKE THIS SONIC GAME", a brief guide to how to improve these figures:

Sonic Heroes/Magazine articles
    Sonic Heroes/Reception

Here's the state of Sonic Heroes right now - we have six documented reviews across four platforms. Obviously there are more - some will be in our archives, some not. We have a small handful of active contributors that are spread thinly across Sega documentation as a whole, and when the task involves documenting every Sega-related page that was ever printed in a magazine, you're not going to get results very quickly.

So we need people to download and read magazines, and when they get to something relevant, go to the game's Magazine articles sub-page and add something like:

Code (Text):
    1. {{magrow|nomuk|137|68
    2. | title=Tested: ''Sonic Heroes''
    3. | comment=
    4. | version=PAL
    5. | rating=80
    6. }}
    I'm sure you can work out what all the bits mean. If you can't guess the magazine code, check the list. Rating systems should be set up correctly - if not, give me a ring.

For Sonic Heroes in particular, you'll be wanting to source out gaming magazines from early 2004. And there should be hoards. Add the numbers, the scores will average out, and you'll get a more accurate value to vaguely describe how good a 16 year old video game was on a scale of 0-100.

7. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I apologize if this is the wrong topic but:

A friend found some sort of Sega Catalog on sale, and wanted to know if scans of it already existed. I've seen that cover art before, on other magazine scans, but I'm drawing a blank as to what it could be.
    Do any of you guys recognize it?
    5fca66ced81f7_491868n.jpg 5fca66b453189_491868n.jpg 5fca666328d5f_491868n.jpg

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Always best to assume "no".

Which in this case is also the answer

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Okay, thank you!

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

Tons of stuff I didn't know about in here, I can no longer call myself a true Sonic fan ;-;

EDIT: I just finished the video - apparently Sonic X was originally only supposed to feature animal people? There must exist some alternate timeline where Chris doesn't exist.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

Yup. In the pilot, Chris didn't exist and Sonic lived with Forces type characters

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. RibShark

RibShark

Has it ever been noted that activating Debug Mode on Sonic 1 in Mega Collection Plus (at least when selecting the JP2/REVXB version) will also activate level select unlike the other versions where you need to enter both codes? This is especially weird as loading the ROM in any other emulator does not have this effect. Is it a bug in the Mega Collection emulator or is something else at play here?

14. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    The game design document for Donald in Maui Mallard on the Mega Drive, partly published in a recent interview, mentions an aim to be between Sonic and Aladdin when it comes to linearity and exploration in level design:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not even the only time Sonic influenced a Donald game:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  15. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    So Sonic's artstyle is simplistic and level design is linear? Opposed to Aladdin?!?! Are me and sega playing a different classic trilogy? I always get lost in the classic levels. DONALD DUCK HAS THE AUDACITY-

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I wouldn't exactly call that take accurate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    the only thing I can think of is that maybe Sonic's method of making art is simpler, because Aladdin, they had to digitize hand drawings and implement pixel art over them...but yeah. I do agree that Aladdin's level design is hard to follow though...and its platforming is far more unforgiving too! :rolleyes:

18. Nova

Nova

I had absolutely no idea this even existed, thank you! I think I would have taken to the show a lot more had it been more like this.

Also in regards to that Cybershell video, I didn't know that one of the random humans mentions Little Planet and Angel Island in the original script, that's awesome.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Sonic is hold-right-to-win officially confirmed.

20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member