don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah a few people have done this before, though it's genuinely looking like there were at least three "European" variants for every Master System game up until 1990 (and maybe afterwards - brain hurts right now)

We have Sega:
    [​IMG]

Sega®
    [​IMG]

And Sega®, Now there are no limits.®
    [​IMG]

A good chunk were documented, but ebay's thrown up dozens more, and that's before the language differences.

I don't think this is a case of older and newer prints - I genuinely think they were printing (at least) three alternative covers every time a game was released. Which is insane.

2. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I really put a lot of effort into researching this in the past, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I'm 99% sure that they weren't printing multiple variants per release.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Tonight on "Sega invents a word":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"En-joint"

There seems to have been a brief period around 1990-ish where Sega were marketing "En-joint spaces", i.e. a venue large enough to house things like the R360. Promotional material around this time also mentions the AS-1, CCD Cart and Cyber Dome attractions, though these all arrived after Sega had dropped this collective branding.

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    So I am doing some research to repair my OG Game Gear and I think we've all seen Electrolytic Capacitor kits out there, and I've recently stumbled across a Ceramic Capacitor kit.

However, I have been decided against using the ceramic caps:

Quote:
    And I have also seen this:

Anyone have any experience here?

5. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Sorry, forgot i posted this after a few beers ... didn't mean it to sound as it does ... apologies.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    No worries

A thing turned up - Kore ga Super 32X Da! Mega World The Video. While the Mega Drive and Mega-CD bits aren't very interesting, all the 32X games are really early. As in, "clearly not running on the hardware, we shouldn't be showing this" early. I guess it's also fun that they use the US Sonic CD soundtrack to tie it altogether.

And in other weird VHS news:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Throw out your DVDs, Blu-rays and reels of actual film - Sega published Popeye and Bugs Bunny "The Best Collection" videos on VHS. They must be the best versions because Sega labeled them as such.

I like the way that Bugs Bunny is off-model. There is no way on God's green Earth that Warner Bros. would let them get away with that today.

7. Xilla

Xilla

Reminds me of those wierd VHS compilations you used to get of cartoons that were in the public domain. Usually a few famous characters along with a whole bunch of long-forgotten ones!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

I noticed some things that need fixing but the wiki is locked for new accounts (And I'm a bit dyslexic and my grammar sucks so I preffer to not mess up with the articles):

Sega Genesis:

NBA Action '94 supports 1-5 players as mentioned in the back cover and manual. (it might be the case with other games in the series, I'm only checking Brazilian releases)

32x:

Blackthorne and Cosmic Carnage supports the 6 button controller.

Six Button Control Pad:

Tec Toy's manual has a warning saying it does not recommended the use of the 6 button joystick with the following games (doesn't mention the reason):

Alien 3, Decap Attack, John Madden Football and Jordan vs. Bird.

Someone with an everdrive or similar should test with those games to see if they are doing something "funny".

I don't think it is the case of using the mode button to make them work correctly because they explain the mode button "trick" and says it should be used with Forgotten Worlds and Golden Axe II.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  9. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Hi, does anyone know why there's two lists of composers associated with this game?

https://segaretro.org/Formula_One_World_Championship:_Beyond_the_Limit

Of course there's the usual culprits from sega sound team, but then there's this massive list of composers under "U.S.A. Staff"
    Larry Mitchell, Yossi Fine, Alex Alexander, Tommy Mandel, Dana Calitri, Gwen Guthrie, Andy Snitzer, Kurtis King, Anders Bostrom, Hiram Bullock, Willine Martinez, East 4th Hones (John Allmark, John Scarpulla, John Wheeler), Tsunekazu Aoki, Tetsuo Sakurai, Yoshihiro Tomonari, Takuo Uchida, Yukiyoshi Hujimoto, Yoshio Nomura, Masahiro Inaba, Hisanori Kumamaru, Funky Fujisawa, Jake H. Conception, Jun De Martini

There's some renowned musicians here, but none of them seem to have any connection to SEGA, and listening to the soundtrack it doesn't seem like that many people worked on it, especially considering Jun Senoue made like half the songs lol (though I'd like to see a source on that).

10. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I would guess "USA Staff" means these people were just based in the US. Not necessarily working as Sega employees, just... not based in Japan I guess.

There's two albums that might clear things up:
    https://vgmdb.net/album/6328
    https://vgmdb.net/album/6330

I'd put them up on Sega Retro but the wiki's locked down.

12. Powpuck

Powpuck

Evidently the North American and European version of the Sega Saturn bios boot up jingle uses a reversed portion of the "Sega!" jingle.

13. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

I didn't want to put this here now, but I don't know anyone who could help and the only two I could think of probably aren't interested or don't want to bother with it, since I didn't hear back from them.

So, Midnight Raiders 32XCD was planned but was cancelled before release, or so we thought. From time to time in the past 12 years I do some searchs for it because it was announced multiple times in posters and on the 32x box but so far I hadn't heard anyone owning it.

Untill a few weeks ago, when I found a picture on this japanese website: http://nitta.sakura.ne.jp/32X/32XCD/32XCD.main.html

It seems this collector bought it in the early 2000 for $ 100,00 and he is also an owner of an original copy of Surgical Strike 32x CD, making him the third known owner of an original copy.

I tried to look for some kind of contact info without luck and apparently he/she doesn't use instagram, facebook etc, or so he says on the external links page.

I would love to see more pictures from it, specially the back of the box, but I have no idea how to contact or ask him anything.

Maybe, creating some awareness, more copies surfaces.

14. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    It looks that he is a member of the English Amiga Board forums ... you should try there ...

15. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

I had seen it but that forum doesn't have an MP system or I couldn't find it. The guy really don't wanna be found.

16. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    For real?!... damn, that sucks... it would be cool if someone could contact him ... somehow..(actually I think it's a girl... isn't "sakura" a girl's name?... dunno)...

17. Xilla

Xilla

(I was going to post this in the Streets of Rage 4 thread but feel it might be better served here)

Do we have any idea who actually developed the Master System version of Streets of Rage 1? When put alongside its Mega Drive and Game Gear counterparts, it's a bit unique.

Unlike many other games that appeared on both 8-bit systems, SoR1 shares no graphics between versions - everything has been redrawn from scratch for the SMS version, including the character portraits. The SMS version also lacks background scrolling, something that's really noticeable in the ferryboat stage.

Gameplay wise, it seems like the SMS developers have made more of an effort to have the game play like it's MD counterpart. The Game Gear version lacks the front grapple attacks, and the jump-kick has the player jump very high, and not very far. The enemy placement is also different between the two versions. The SMS version features the full 8 stages, whereas the GG only has 5 (omitting the inner city, beach and elevator stages) - this also means that Abadede and Souther never appear in the GG version. Of course, the SMS version also restores Adam, who was absent from the GG SoR1.

And as alot of people are probably aware, the SMS version has a unique boss for the factory stage that never appears in any other version - a guy in a top hat who shoots rockets at you:

There's some other little differences between the stages too - the factory stage has the booby traps as crushers in the GG version (like in the MD one) but in the SMS one, it's electricity instead. The GG version of the Syndicate HQ stage also has the characters walk from left to right, and right to left in the SMS version.

And now, the music. The soundtrack has clearly been made with the GG version in mind - 5 stage tracks, 2 boss tracks, player select, round clear, intro and ending. The SMS version decides to change some things around due to having some extra stages - Fighting on the Street (the Round 1 track) is also used on the player select screen, Round 2 bizarrely uses the character select music (which as a stage theme, gets old, fast), Round 3 uses Back from the Industry from SoR2 (which was used for the factory stage on the GG version, probably because Stealthy Steps isn't a particularly strong track), Round 4, 5 and 8 all get their usual tracks. Strangely the final boss theme goes unused in the SMS version.

Which brings me to the track used in Round 6 and 7. This track is unique to the SMS version and doesn't feature in any other version of the game:

Was a bit curious about this, so I asked Yuzo Koshiro on Twitter if he composed this track. I got a reply from him saying he can't remember this track, and doesn't have the data for it either. This track was also omitted from the Wavemaster release from a few years back (which Dotemu infamously used for the "retro" soundtrack option in SoR4). Personally, I'm thinking this track was made by a member of the team who worked on this version of the game.

So why not check out the credits? Simple reason that was an instant dead end, it doesn't have any!

So yeah, the SMS version of SoR1 seems like a bit of an effort for something that was only released in Europe, Australia, Brazil and Korea. If I had to guess, this version was farmed out to another developer and the credits were intentionally omitted as a result.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  18. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

This track is cool.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  20. Pengi

Pengi

Yuzo Koshiro posted some The Super Shinobi II (Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master) documents on Twitter: https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1355450105726296067

EDIT: Also of interest, The Stickman is Back apparently did get released... as something else!

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1355478434084835331

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021