don't click here

Can I fix my "broken" copy of Sonic Classic Collection for the DS?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Jaxer, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Jaxer

Jaxer

Sonic 1 and 2 (and 2 & Knuckles) work just fine but Sonic 3 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are behaving in very odd ways that I haven't seen them do previously.

There's tons of graphical glitches, most notably the Launch Base mini-boss sprites showing on top of the hatch that's supposed to release it, and one time the entire boss' sprite was replaced with the invincibility monitor sprite. There's a plenty of other graphical glitches too, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles specifically is running way slower than in the past.

I know that this release is hardly the best way to play these games to begin with, but it did not act like this previously.

Will a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol fix the cartridge, or is it permanently broken?

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It's curious that only Sonic 3 appears to be broken. You should post in the technical discutions part of the forum, people should be able to help you out there.

3. Jaxer

Jaxer

Wouldn't be surprised if 1 and 2 are too, but I don't play them anywhere near as much so I probably can't tell if there's anything wrong with them.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Everything you've described is just normal for Classic Collection. The games are very, very buggy emulations that run poorly, especially 3/K/3K. The layering issues you mentioned are normal. Other graphical glitches like the Blue Sphere stages not scrolling correctly or the plasma spheres bonus stages having corrupted backgrounds are normal. Music being pitched up instead of sped up when you get speed slots is normal. Your cart is normal. Classic Collection is horseshit.

Classic Collection is also DSi/3DS enhanced to take advantage of the higher clock speed of the processor (and region locking on those systems only). You'll notice that the game is subject to a lot more slowdown on original DS and Lite models than on later systems. AIZ and the Blue Sphere stages are good examples of this. They're almost unplayable on the older systems.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    That is interesting because I never ran into those graphical issues with my copy of the game.. I would have to take a look at that again and see if it happens.. but yeah I can agree that when I played it on the original DS, the frame rate issues were there but not as severe as Sonic 1 GBA (ughhhhh).. they were fixed when I played it on the 3DS

Side Note: Can’t believe this was the last official physical re-release of 3&K.. it’s a real shame and I hope the game does make a grand return

6. Jaxer

Jaxer

I am playing it on a DSi XL

7. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    There are some layering issues in Sonic 1 in this collection too, but they're pretty minor, and I think they work out better than the correct layering in some cases. EX: Marbel zone with the dipping platforms into the lava that catch fire.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

... Okay? You still get slowdown and bugs no matter which system you're using.

9. Not on a new 3ds xl. I have a ds lite and a new 3ds xl, and the only thing I think that persists across all consoles is the glitchy blue sphere stages

10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

So yeah I’ve been playing through Sonic 3 Alone recently and yes, aside from the glitchy floor in the special stages (which doesn’t affect my gameplay) the samples in the mini boss theme are low pitched and for some reason the victory theme repeats on the results screen after getting an extra life (though this happens on all the games).. besides that, haven’t had any serious graphical glitches yet.. will continue to play and update for you guys

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yes on a New 3DSXL. The slowdown is significantly reduced when playing on systems other than the original DS/Lite, but it still exists. To my understanding, the game is unable to take advantage of increased clock speeds of models newer than the base 3DS and XL.
    Not all of the bugs happen all the time, but they are present as emulation glitches. Classic Collection is buggy, no matter which system you use to play it. Sprite layering priority issues vary, but I remember the Launch Base Act 1 boss constantly appearing in front of the boxes it was supposed to appear from (I'm not sure whether it was the Sonic/Tails version, Knuckles version or both).

The Plasma Spheres bonus stage always appears like this:
    057115F2-6AE5-4C54-8F15-6D6CDA6412C0.jpeg
    I'd be very interested if someone could me this bonus stage in Classic Collection without the corrupted black tiles in the background. This is running on a 3DSXL. I get the same results on a DSi and could check a DS Lite if necessary. I don't have a New 3DS/3DSXL, but I don't think that will make any difference here.

The voice clips aren't lower pitched and yes, the act clear music will repeated during longer results screens (e.g. When you have enough points to get a 1up). The reason for both is the same; the audio in Classic Collection isn't emulated. It's played through separate files. Therefore the voices clips aren't compressed, which means that they're clearer but also sound lower pitched that they do normally.

12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

I’m playing on a 3DSXL as well so once I reach Sonic & Knuckles, I’ll check that bonus stage as well but yeah looking at the screen its definitely emulation bugs.

Another interesting note is when playing Sonic 3 alone on a DS or DS Lite, for some reason the blue sphere music does not play at all for special stage 5 only (you play that stage in silence and only hear the rings and spheres) I always thought that was awkwardly funny but that doesn’t happen on a 3DS

13. DS Lite: 20201217_194447.jpg New 3DS XL: 20201217_194520.jpg

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yep. I honestly don't know how slap dash this collection must have been to allow a background to be consistently corrupted like be that. It's not something that looks like it could be right or is easy to miss.

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Exactly. This is just one of the frequent emulation bugs in this collection.

So once again in response to the OP... Your game cartridge ain't broken.