don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs: Ten Years Later.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sonic5993, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Today is the 10 year anniversary of the initial release date for Sonic Colors, so naturally it's time to look back on it.

This has had a...quite the turnaround in the past decade hasn't it. Some argue it started the renaissance of Sonic's 2010 era, while others will say it started a new "dark age" But it certainly marked a change for the series as it's aesthetics almost completed changed with this game; new voice actors, new writers, etc etc.

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I still don't like this game.
    Also we had a topic discussing it a little while ago, I dunno if this one is needed.

3. How long ago, because I didn't see it on the front page?

If so, then we can go ahead and merge the two.

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    He's talking about the flood of Complimenting/Bashing topics we had a while back. Every single one of which was sent to the trash when the mods got sick of them. I imagine this will be too.

5. I wish we didn't have those; I wasn't really intending for that to be the case here. The game is just ten years old now, so I felt it needed a revisit.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sonic Colors was great, is great, and always will be great. It's still my favorite 3D Sonic game after all these years. It's a wonderfully crafted game, with speed, platforming, replay value, beautiful graphics, and a killer soundtrack. Also, Super Sonic is the best and most broken as he's ever been in 3D.

It's a wonderful piece of work, and still looks damn fine after ten years. It wears its age well.

EDIT: I see there's some debate over whether we need to discuss this. I do think this is worthy of discussion, but maybe we don't need a unique thread for it - perhaps merge it into the original Colors megathread?

7. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I don't need to care about whether Colors is a good game or not, because all I do anymore in relation to it is listen to its soundtrack and have a good time. That's all I need.

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Colours remains my favourite Sonic Team game since Adventure 1&2. Has one of best soundtracks. Big fan of the simple hub-world progression and the basic story. Gameplay and controls is solid. I like it's focus on exploration, hunting the red-star rings and the wisp gimmicks was an interesting-fresh take on the gameplay at the time. Aside from a few filler stages which felt unnecessary, I have a good time with Colours. I really enjoy the visuals. Stages such as Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival look so good. Having a non-super Sonic final boss and Eggman being the final boss (and the boss itself being a fun challenge) made a nice change! Still annoyed Colours never got a Steam release because it deserves one. Fingers crossed for a Switch release.

Don't like the hate it's been receiving from parts of the fanbase since Forces came out which is disappointing. Deserves more respect.

9. Along with Unleashed and Generations, one of best 3D games. I've never got this bothered the game tried to be simples on the story, honestly.

10. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    :thumbsup: I don't even own the game and I have the OST release on CD (3 discs!). Never played it, but the soundtrack is one of my favorites in the series.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

I don't like Sonic Colors at all. Sure, it's not a trainwreck, but it's just a mediocre platformer imo. Way too much of an over-reliance on block design.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Colors to this day remains the most focused 3d Sonic game of all time. The game's a decent length and it's all boost Sonic but with the wisp gimmicks. That's it. No Classic Sonic, no Werehog, no Avatar. It also has the best trope direction of the 3d era and one of the best soundtracks in any Sonic game.

Just a damn shame all that block platforming exists. Colors could have been a decent template going forward, but this is Sonic Team here, they learn the wrong lessons each game and that's how we ended up with Lost World and Forces.

13. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'd like Colors more if every level was more like Asteroid Coaster. Closest any 3D Sonic game has gotten to recapturing any of the "magic" that was lost since SA2, in my books anyway. And it's been ten years since then? that's so depressing lmao

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Thing is, I understand that the mods were sick of having so many, but I honestly think they served an important purpose. I remember when I made the one for Sonic 3, half the posts on the first page were just "No. This game is wonderful and amazing and all I can do is nitpick.", and in my head I was just "...then fucking nitpick! That's the point!" I feel like it's important to remind people, especially on the internet, where hyperbole rules all, that it's OK to criticize the things you love, and to acknowledge the merit of things you hate. Blind reverence and extreme hatred both prevent critique. So my comments before where less "This thread shouldn't exist" and more "This is probably gotta get locked, just FYI".

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Colors is, indeed, still good. I'd say it's probably the best boost game, actually. Not just because it doesn't waste your time with other stuff than Sonic gameplay, but just because it feels the most finished and focused. When I finally got to play Unleashed HD the whole way through earlier this year, I was shocked that this was apparently what the gold standard for boost Sonic was supposed to be according to the fandom, it was like the worst one. Transitioning into Colors after that, how much less slippery it felt, how less-bullshit the levels were, and the actual amount of game not being as different as I think a lot of Unleashed stans like to say it is, I think Colors might be the best 3D Sonic game. I probably still like Lost World and maybe even Forces better for subjective reasons, but if I were to tell anyone which 3D Sonic game to play, Colors is 100% the easiest to pick up.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    No one talked about Free Riders coming out before Colors, introducing the new voice actors and the fact that it's also 10 years old. :(

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    If Free Riders wanted people to give a shit about it after ten years, it should have known better than to be born a Kinect game.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Maybe because Sonic Free Riders sucks dick.

19. One thing about this game that can only be appreciated with hindsight; this is the last game with a truly unique aesthetic and level tropes. After this, almost every game would be paying homage to the Classics or have the most generic level tropes imaginable in the case of Lost World.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I guess I should talk about the actual game, huh?

Pretty good. This is the one game that actually made good use of Wisps (that I've played, still haven't played Forces so dunno there). I was only able to get half the S ranks, but I at least got A or better on everything, and got all but a dozen Red Star Rings without looking them up. This was the game that made me think Sega was finally starting to climb out of the hole they dug themselves.

Of course Lost World then said "Nah, fuck it, let's dig deeper!", but that's not Colors' fault.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years...