don't click here

What would you think about Sonic Pocket Adventure on the Switch?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RetroJordan91, Oct 29, 2020.

1. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Hey guys,

I just recently saw that SNK is beginning to re-release games from their NeoGeo Pocket Color library to the Nintendo Switch (officially called Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection).

As of this post, only 3 games have been released, according to the official site: King of Fighters R2, Samurai Shodown 2, and
    SNK Gals Fighters.

So what are the chances of Sonic Pocket Adventure being one of the titles that would get the green light? I would love to see this come out since I owned this back in 1999-2000 and, though quite obscure, I had a really fun time with it.

The only thing that might hold it back is the music (it’s soundtrack is straight from 3&K) but last I checked, no Jackson tracks are a part of this game with the exception of the S3 Knuckles theme.

Would SEGA be willing to re-release it? Would you guys like to play it on the Switch?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2020
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd absolutely buy it as I've never had a system to play it on. It's a fun little game, hell it's like a better Sonic 4.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I want a Joycon with a clicky stick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I'd buy it since finding the system to play the game on is getting harder for me. I did get lucky to find a physical copy though and bought it.

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It’d be nice to see it get rereleased, but to be fair it’s pretty much just Sonic 2 with 8-bit graphics and the Sonic 3K soundtrack. I don’t think it’d be essential.

6. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Funny enough I still own my original Neo Geo Pocket Color but unfortunately I lost my copy of the game which really sucks.. wouldn’t mind replaying it though just for the novelty

7. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    I actually just had to sell off my NGPC, so I would certainly love if they re-released the game for Switch. That's the only reason why I bought the console, for Sonic Pocket Adventure, but I never got around to buying it for the system. A re-release would be sweet!

8. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Funny, despite not playing it yet, I've felt it was more of a prototype or proof of concept of Sonic Advance.

9. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    Interesting point that.
    If we take the theory the soundtrack is the reason S3&K is never ported, could it also be the reason this game had 1 release and has never seen the light of day since?
    Which songs are the contentious ones (besides the obvious Ice Cap and credits song?) - are all the ones in SPA considered safe? Brad Buxer is a listed original composer....

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I don't think the soundtrack is an issue because it doesn't use any of the tracks that are known to have been tied to MJ/his team. Aside from Knuckles' theme, which isn't an issue because it's just a drum beat (it isn't original enough).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Pengi

Pengi

It would be a huge omission from the from the Neo Geo Pocket Color library if they didn't release it. They'd have to work something out with Sega, but the trade off is that it would almost certainly sell better than most of the other titles. I'd buy it on day one.

12. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

I'd say it's quite a bit more than that. The level layouts are all dramatically different from the Sonic 2 originals.

13. almeda

almeda

you are now watching madTV. Member
    It sounds like a really cute idea. It'll open more opportunities for people to play the "only 10/10 Sonic game ever" (@ IGN) and be a nice little Sonic game to play while on the go. The Switch deserves more good Sonic games if you ask me. The only thing I can say is that it might feel a bit awkward cuz it's such a small game lol. But I'm probably reaching.

14. milo

milo

whoa!! Member
    They could bill it as kind of a Sonic Mania prequel. It sort of fits that description, what with being a remix of past Sonic games up to that point.

It's also one of the best handheld Sonics pre-advance era.

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Do the other NGPC releases on Switch offer versus support? Being able to easily play head-to-head would make it worthwhile, SPA had a pretty nice 2-player mode as I recall.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    The website says they're local 1-v-1 compatible. But everything released so far has been fighting games, where each player presumably sees the same thing on their screen.

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    The Neo Geo emulator is apparently quite robust, so releasing Sonic Pocket Adventure should be easy. And Sonic games on Switch sell well.
    So it's no brainer. Which is why it will probably never happen.

If it does, I hope they let you run two emulator windows side by side, so you can have 2p races on one Switch. The NGPC only has a small screen, so two displayed on Switch should be no problem.

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'd love to see Sonic Pocket Adventure come to the switch for sure. It'd save me money from buying a Neo Geo Pocket Color, since that's literally the only game that interests me for the handheld. (I'm not really a fighting game fan...) I doubt it'll happen knowing Sega. They barely acknowledged the game gear titles, SPA never gets mentioned. :\

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Lmao SEGA in a nutshell, just like with Sonic 3&K.. and I would love to see Tails as a part of the single player campaign, whether solo or with Sonic

20. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    NGPC fighting games are perfect for people that hate fighting games. Only two buttons so they're simple as pie, but packed with charm. Card Fighters Clash is a must-check-out, at least.