don't click here

What would you like to see in a Dreamcast Mini?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by RetroJordan91, Oct 8, 2020.

1. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    :):):)Hey guys,

I don’t know if this was brought up or not but there were articles I found on IGN, Eurogamer, and VGC and that say that SEGA’s next micro console may possibly be a Dreamcast Mini. I never had a Dreamcast growing up but one of my brother’s friends had one and I remember playing Sonic Adventure, WWF Royal Rumble and Crazy Taxi on it, so I would be interested depending on what games would be featured on it.

The 2 obvious games that would be on the mini are the Adventure games; you can also add Crazy Taxi on the list, but after that, what else??

I would love to see all of your game lists for a possible Dreamcast Mini and hopefully this will be reality.

Again, I didn’t grow up with the Dreamcast so I’m sure you guys will fill me in on what was big back in the day lol

2. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    There are lots of gems in the Dreamcast collections! Here's my 2 cents:

The "must-have"s (aka the ones aimed at big SEGA fans):
    • SA1 and SA2 (easy)
    • Crazy Taxi (also easy)
    • Space Channel 5 1&2
    • Jet Set Radio
    • Shenmue 1&2
    • Skies of Arcadia
    • Seaman
    • ChuChu Rocket! (although I've never played it)
    • House of the Dead 2
    • Virtua Fighter 3
    • Sega Rally Championship 2
    The Capcom/SNK/etc. fighters (aka the ones aimed at people who owned a Dreamcast for the fighting games):
    • Power Stone 1&2
    • Dead or Alive 2
    • Super Street Fighter 2 X
    • Street Fighter III Third Strike
    • Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Vampire Chronicle (which is a collection of all the Darkstalkers games)
    • Capcom vs. SNK 1&2
    • Fighting Vipers 2
    • JoJo Heritage for the Future (seeing as JoJo is very popular now this could be an easy/legal way for fans to access an enhanced version of the arcade game, and a big selling point for the DC Mini itself)
    • King of Fighters (although I don't know which one would be best)
    • Marvel Vs. Capcom 1&2
    The "would-be-nice-to-have"s (aka the ones that don't fit in the other groups but I'd still like to see):
    • Puyo Puyo Fever
    • Spider-Man
    • Segaga
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    • Cannon Spike
    • Ikaruga
    I'd also like to see Samba de Amigo/Typing of the Dead but it might be hard to emulate the controls of the OG games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The article is clickbait and there's been a LOT of reading into it that everyone has instantly jumped to "ZOMG DREAMCAST MINI" - an SG-1000 or Saturn Mini are equally as likely.

4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Well we will have to wait and see what SEGA decides to do.. I never stated that this was confirmed 100%, I mean those other 2 could be possibilities too, but it is definitely something to have fun and speculate with

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    They should do a Master System mini first and in theory they should be able include the entire Japanese sms/mkIII library, since 99% of them were all done in house (although I suppose some licenses would need to be renewed).

Having said that, no DC collection is complete without the majestic Under Defeat.

6. Wildcat

Wildcat

Its weird. I was just thinking about a DC mini the other day. I know it's been brought up before though.

Could be another console of course. Saturn makes more sense to me. It was not that successful but its fan base has grown over the years. I think that would be more interesting.

I know some think Saturn emulation is too hard or that even Sega does not know how to do it but I would not be surprised if they do. How is DC emulation considered easier?

7. Gryson

Gryson

Sega's classic hardware producer Yosuke Okunari: "overseas site posts an unauthorised, inaccurate article based on an interview published in JP media→other overseas sites embellish with their own articles→JP games blogs translate & circulate overseas reports, same ol' same ol'"

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1314421996902477825

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm not sure a "Dreamcast Mini" is even commercially viable. One would presume the bill of materials would be higher than the PlayStation Classic ($100/£90 a couple of years ago) and you'd probably have to redesign the controllers so they have VMU-like displays without detachable memory cards. A bit of a faff. And they'd probably have to develop a Dreamcast emulator from scratch because I'm not sure they have any(?)

Whereas yeah, they could just throw a Master System one together for a fraction of the price... and it would probably sell just as well.

Including games such as Shenmue also makes things complicated because that's multiple discs with data that can be passed to Shenmue II... and they're also selling "remasters" of those games right now on PS4/Xbox One. And a Dreamcast collection without Shenmue wouldn't go down well.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I'd like to see a port of the Windows port of the Xbox port of the Windows port of the GameCube port of the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sonic Shuffle

11. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I wonder if they'd actually replicate the VMU's usage with the controllers. Having your hand of cards hidden from other players in Shuffle was a pretty big deal.

12. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Would that even run? Should any mortal being be able to play such filth?

Disgusting.

13. milo

milo

whoa!! Member

Game Gear Micro was a test run of VMU v2.

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    How about a gutted version with just the minigames? I remember the minigames mostly being fun, even if the game as a whole wasn't good.

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I'd rather have a brand new, fun Sonic party game. Or a complete remake of Shuffle from the ground up (which would effectively be the same thing, I suppose).

16. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I mean that's fine, but not really in the spirit of a Dreamcast mini. Did any of the mini consoles get full-on new content (as opposed to cancelled games of the era like Star Fox 2)?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Pengi

Pengi

The Darius and Tetris ports on Mega Drive Mini were new. The Aleste version of Game Gear Micro has a brand new game, GG Aleste 3.

I doubt we'll see a Dreamcast Mini any time soon though, or a bonus game on that scale.

If they get around to 32X, I'd like to see a heavily revised version of Chaotix. But that would probably be too much work.

18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Were they? I was under the impression that they were cancelled games that were added in as a bonus.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Only Darius was completely new.

20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The version of Tetris was a new port as well, but it was based on Sega's arcade version and not the existing Genesis version. (Which, by the way, if you have a copy of the original Genesis version of Tetris, you could be a very wealthy man.)