don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I thought that was Inhumans and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., not the Netflix shows. Hm, well fair enough.

I'm thinking more Werehog-esque, but faster and more fluid.

Ray can maintain his height, giving him a farther range than any other character.

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Maybe, I haven't played those games (no money, no console for them).

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sighs... Hello Earth. What're you doing in IDW as the location of Angel Island?

4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Planets were merged...?

5. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Here’s the true timeline:

1. Sonic 1
    2. Sonic 2
    3. Sonic CD
    4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    5. Sonic Mania
    6. Sonic Adventure
    7. Sonic Adventure 2
    8. Sonic Heroes
    9. Shadow the Hedgehog
    10. Sonic 06
    11. Balan Wonderworld

6. Trying to piece together a solid continuity in this series feels like an exercise in futility, because its rather clear they just play fast and loose.

Unless they release a bible, we're really just guessing.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well, it's actually relatively simple until 2010. Then great googly moogly, it all goes to s--t.

Well do I have some good news for you! They're releasing the Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia for his very purpose!

8. You say that, but I don't think the continuity was as stable as we were led to believe back then.

And I know, I ordered it. And my expectations are kind of.....eeeeeeehhhh.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well, Sonic Adventure references Sonic the Hedgehog CD and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, which ties in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 so:

• Sonic the Hedgehog CD
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
    • Sonic Adventure

Then you have Sonic Adventure 2 tying onto the plot of Sonic Adventure with Tails getting the Chaos Emerald from Station Square. Shadow returns in Sonic Heroes, setting that after Sonic Adventure 2 and before Shadow the Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) had Shadow join G.U.N. "a while ago", setting that after Shadow the Hedgehog, so...

• Sonic the Hedgehog CD
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    • Sonic Adventure
    • Sonic Adventure 2
    • Sonic Heroes
    • Shadow the Hedgehog
    • Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Sonic Battle references E-123 Omega, setting it after Sonic Heroes at least, but Shadow knows of Maria and the Professor, yet does not seem to be acting with G.U.N. indicating it's after Shadow the Hedgehog but before Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Sonic Advance 2 introduces Cream the Rabbit, showing her first actual meeting with Sonic and setting it before Sonic Heroes, and Sonic Advance 3 sets itself post-Sonic Battle, through the Emerl - Gemerl connection.

• Sonic the Hedgehog CD
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    • Sonic Adventure
    • Sonic Adventure 2
    • Sonic Advance 2
    • Sonic Heroes
    • Shadow the Hedgehog
    • Sonic Battle
    • Sonic Advance 3
    • Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

I can genuinely keep going. I won't unless asked, though.
    The series didn't have a perfect continuity, I'll freely admit that, but it did have a somewhat stable one during the Adventure Era. It was all on Earth, the Mega Drive games are referenced by the Humans, Sonic Heroes has a clipping from Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Battle/Shadow the Hedgehog's Central City etcetc. been through all this many a time, I'm sure there's some plot-holes somewhere, like the President not recognising Sonic despite the newscaster referring to him as hero who saved the world multiple times, but not nearly as literally planet breaking as the Iizuka-Era Sonic Team games.

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be akin to Hyrule Historia. The lore's wrong and arbitrarily changed in several places, making me ignore the lore aspect, but it's still a nice art book.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
  11. Pengi

Pengi

Yuji Naka got a Game Gear Micro: https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1313376401240719361

ゲームギアミクロが届きました。小さいのでポストに投函されていましたよ。しかし、ちっちゃいですね。ソニックをエッグマンを倒すまでプレイしてみましたが意外とプレイ出来ますね。しかしゲームギア版ってマップとかもかなり違っていてビックリでした。まあ自分で作ってないから知らないですよね。

Google Translated: "Game Gear Micro has arrived. Because it was small, it was posted in the mailbox. But it's tiny. I tried playing Sonic until I defeated Eggman, but I can play it unexpectedly. However, I was surprised that the game gear version was quite different from the map. Well, I don't know because I didn't make it myself."

Says it all, really.

Naka also briefly mentioned the Game Gear games in the big 25th anniversary interview that still needs a proper translation: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201606/24107383.html?page=4

(In response to a comment about the large number of Sonic titles over the years.)

そんなにあるんだ! ゲームギア版とかはほぼノータッチだったんだよね。部署が違ったので。

Google Translated: "There are so many! The Game Gear version was almost untouched. Because the department was different."

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  12. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Here’s my translation of the quotes:

ゲームギアミクロが届きました。小さいのでポストに投函されていましたよ。しかし、ちっちゃいですね。ソニックをエッグマンを倒すまでプレイしてみましたが意外とプレイ出来ますね。しかしゲームギア版ってマップとかもかなり違っていてビックリでした。まあ自分で作ってないから知らないですよね。
    “The Game Gear Micro arrived. Because it’s tiny they mailed it by post. However, it’s really small. I played until defeating Eggman, and it’s quite playable. I was quite surprised at how different the maps are in the Game Gear version. I mean, I didn’t make it so I guess that’s why I didn’t know.”

そんなにあるんだ! ゲームギア版とかはほぼノータッチだったんだよね。部署が違ったので。
    “I didn’t know there’s that many [Sonic titles]! I had almost nothing to do with the Game Gear(etc.) versions, since I worked in a different department.”

(Just to be sure, I was kinda memeing in my previous post but in this post I’m not joking around)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That's fair. I was saying I feel you can put them with the Mega Drive games or leave them separate as you please, as they don't really affect the story-line over "these minor adventures happened between games."

Which, y'know, is implied to be happening anyway with Sonic and Tails being on a distant island when they realise the Death Egg's crashed onto Angel Island.

Otherwise, yeah, I have no doubts the Game Gear games had no bearing from Sonic Adventure on. Other than Tails' theme in Sonic Adventure, but eh. Otherwise, they're just adventures you yourself can decide "do I want them personal canonically involved or not...?" In your case, no, in my case, yes. They really don't affect the overall plot: the important parts are and will always be Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.

And Sonic Triple Trouble is a Sonic the Hedgehog 3 prequel, fite me.

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Why try and come up with headcanons to fix it though? Why not just accept that it’s broken beyond repair, and maybe have a good laugh out of it?

I personally think it’s somewhat hilarious that Iizuka is claiming that the two worlds thing from Sonic X is now mainline canon.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Honestly, because I really don't like being lied to.

Mistaken information? Fair enough, no one can be right for their entire lives. But this shift seems borderline Orwellian. I'd be happier if Iizuka just up and said "We didn't like the One Earth, so we decided to split them in two."

But instead he's apparently saying things like "Oh, it's been this way since Sonic Adventure. We just haven't been showing it or going into detail about it" and "We inherited the two worlds from Yuji Naka," only to be caught out when an interview in 2011 revealed Yuji Naka confirmed that it was always One Earth to him.

And considering the games under his rule have made characters flat and the continuity so bad it outright contradicts itself within the same year, I'm not optimistic about any upcoming game in regards to story, continuity or gameplay, if they're letting things lapse as they are.

Remember when Knuckles was pondering about his dedication towards protecting the Master Emerald? Or Shadow actively protecting the world and outright rejecting a villain's manipulations despite knowing full well that, yes, Humans will turn on him one day, but he'll still protect the world as Maria and Gerald requested?

Now it's... can anyone describe Knuckles to me now? Or Shadow?

I don't mind Robotnik being the primary threat, though, that's fine and I like it.

16. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    It seems like we’re mostly on the same page regarding how we feel about the series’ overall direction - there’s definitely a split between the Naka era and the Iizuka era.

What I’m confused about is why you want to make all the Iizuka era stuff fit in with the Naka stuff. I just view it as a separate series altogether(almost like a parody series); aka the original Sonic series is done and has been done since 2006-ish. Coming up with headcanons isn’t going to improve what’s in the Iizuka-era games themselves - the content of the Iizuka-era games will remain exactly the same. I don’t lose any sleep over how badly the Sonic continuity has been messed up now, simply because the original creators had nothing to do with it. In other words, everything after 2006 is just fan-fiction pretty much.

I was half-joking when I said Balan Wonderworld is the next game of this “series”; sure it’s not part of the Sonic series but it’s part of the “Ohshima/Naka series“ and that’s what I’m interested in.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  17. Uh...you know Iizuka was directing most of the games in the Adventure era right?

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Naka being part of the team might've made a difference at the time, you know?
    Iizuka being left to his own devices ended up causing this current mess.
    And that's @BlackHole's peeve with this whole thing, as far as I understand.

19. Yea, but Iizuka is only the producer nowadays. Not only that, he was pretty much grandfather'd into his current position as head of Sonic Team aftet literally everyone else from his generation left.

So the position was pretty much thrown on his lap.

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

What matters here is WHAT he did with said position and the franchise's current state.
    That's what's being talked here, alongside Timeline & Canonicity matters.