don't click here

"Multiple" new Sonic games planned for 2021

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    You...you realize that if you're going somewhere to say it for the sole purpose of pissing people off, then you are, in fact, being a troll, right?

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Koutoni

Koutoni

^ Unfortunately that’s true, making him no better than those who do the reverse in the first place, but given how Twitter is these days it’s safe to say that the Nintendo side genuinely believe that, being completely unable to take any form of criticism against a game/part of a series...

Elaborate trolling doesn’t even really exist anymore though, eh. Everyone wants it direct (no Nintendrone pun intended)

Can’t say the same as much for any other company’s fans (at least SEGA ones aren’t as low as Nintendo’s even if they show some stupid moves at times), they’re literally as bad as COD fanboys were back in the late 2000s.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Yeah. No matter where I go, I see people getting flamed by the Nintendo apologists whenever they post any criticism about SM3DC or its price tag. BS like that is why the term Nintendrones was coined.

4. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    He's on here gloating about going out of his way to make other fandoms feel bad about games they like. I thought we were better than that lol.

Playing Mario 64 this weekend made me realize how it hasn't aged perfectly in every aspect but it's main intention wasn't to nail every aspect but to show what 3D COULD be and it helped make gaming into what it is today. Sonic Adventure feels like the next era of Sonic but Mario 64 really felt like the next era of gaming. Must have been amazing to play right when it came out at the time.

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    going to admit, Adventure is 100% completely underbaked, a janky mess whose own plot and gameplay elements relies solely on contrivances. I love it to death, but let's be honest, as a 3D title in the second generation of 3D (the first gen of 3D is the Sega Saturn/PS1/N64) it doesn't even hold a candle to the original Spyro games in terms of polish, alone other 3D titles that came out that gen like the Ratchet & Clank games.

and re-releasing the Genesis titles as basic roms is pretty lazy these days because people's phones run them fine*. You can't say the same about even N64 titles, which don't have accurate emulation, let alone the horsepower required for running dolphin, and let's forget about that running that portably. It's not a big deal right now when no one can go outside, but it will be when people are out and about again. My beefy $2k surface laptop can barely run PS1 titles at 60 FPS with lots and lots of tweaks...and Mednafen is an accurate emulator. Yeah yeah yeah, hack the Switch blah, no, most people, myself included, are not keen on bricking their consoles to run a janky-ass Switch implementation of Dolphin, thank you.

For the record, I am in the camp of "the crash remakes are garbage", because I played to completion the NSane Trilogy and they got they feel of the platforming completely wrong. Unlike most people who say similar, I will also take it a step further and say that I don't even want the Metroid Prime Trilogy release on Switch, because it fundamentally changes the first two prime games to the point that repeatedly only releasing the Wii versions is detrimental to archival/the developer's original intent.

I think the limited release is anti-consumer garbage. I don't think re-releases that are """barebones""" of games most people these days can't play are not. Preserving the original intent means that people get a better understanding of why they were a big deal, and it means people like me who have yet to experience them in any form get to understand them closer to intent, as impossible as that is even on Wii**. With the added bonus of eventually getting to play it when I leave the apartment multiple times a week for doctor's appointments, or when flying to visit family.

*and we already have existing working remakes that Sega refuses to port over
    *Primes 1 & 2 are speedrun on Wii because the Wii's hardware makes it more stable, so not even gamecube games are 100% close, let alone N64 VC and its awful control-feeling

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Well I made 100% on the Crash trilogy remake and found it great.

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sonic Adventure is a great game that has aged tremendously poorly in key aspects. For example, the cutscenes. Here's cutscenes in Crash Bandicoot 2, a game that came out a full year earlier:

Now compare to Sonic Adventure:

Now in Mario 64, on the other hand, the vast majority of its content has aged like fine wine and cheese, not to mention that it was far more innovative and had greater influence. I'm not saying that Sonic Adventure is a bad game - it's one of my all-time favorites, and I think it's an absolute blast to play to this day - it just doesn't compare to 64 all that well.

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Games simply don't age as well as movies or other media. If a company really wants to introduce something to a new generation and not just purists, remaking the graphics and making quality of life adjustments is a must. Nintendo can only get away with this at a $60 pricetag and a Disney Vault-esque limited release because it's Mario. Even the Zelda team put effort into their remake of Link's Awakening, even if it was a bit conservative on new content.

Games like the Crash and Spyro remakes are setting people's expectations higher for when they buy the same game released decades ago, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Same. Although I think adjusting the controls and hitboxes slightly for something closer to the original should have been an option for people who wanted it to play just like the original.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  9. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Having not played the Crash trilogy remake, I just dislike the butchering of the aesthetic in a lot of the graphics, which happens a lot in remakes/remasters from what I've seen.

I'd love to see Sonic Team remake SA1, because that game actually needs it. Sonic Adventure is my favorite 3D Sonic game, but as has been mentioned, it wasn't a very polished game from contemporary 1998 standards. It's the most fun I can have with a broken and jank-filled game, because it has it where it counts. With a remake they could fix all the legitimate problems the game had. Then, hopefully, fans could mod the heck out of anything they don't like in it on PC (assuming the possibility).

10. Pengi

Pengi

Super Mario 3D All-Stars was never advertised as a remake. There's value in a good remake, but there's also value in making the original versions available on modern hardware. They're not equivalent ideas.

I'd love to see a Sonic Adventure remake that brought the game up to 2021 standards (which, frankly, would have to be an almost entirely new game - like "Metroid II" to "Metroid: Samus Returns"). I'd also like to see the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure brought to new systems. But they're two entirely different propositions.

11. MH MD

MH MD

I found SA1 janky and full of issues since day 1 when i was a kid, i don't hold it in the highest degrees, never did, multiple characters wasn't implemented well , Big is bad yada yada.

And yet,i would dare to call it a better game than SM64 ever was. would even say it aged better, and more playable and enjoyable than 64.

Like sure i appreciate 64 for what it did to 3d gaming, it has great controlling actually, controlling mario is joy, but i never ever enjoyed the act of actually playing it, levels are dull and basic, and you have to replay them a ton to actually advance, they call it "collactathon" or whatever but i found it a cheap trick to make the game longer with the smallest effort spent, sure you could say SA1 do the same with multiple characters, but at the very least you can complete a character playthrough and be satisfied .

Also lazy one bowser boss, and they had the nerve to use him 3 times including in the final boss with no additions at all, wow such masterpiece.

SA1 i can at least return to it and enjoy it now cause it offers something different, while Mario games evolved since then, and with Odyssey having the same direction as 64 but actually done better, i see no reason to return to 64

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Playing 64 right now, and...Jesus, I don't know how much the controls were altered for the DS release (which is how I originally played 64), but I cannot get the hang of these controls! I do not remember Mario being this slippery, and while the Wing Cap was a chore to control even on the DS, it feels even worse here! I still want to finish it, but I very much doubt I'll 100% it. If you really must play 64, play it on the DS.

13. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    Living in the UK, where the console 'was' the Mega Drive, I always thought the back cover made it obvious - however re scanning it now it doesn't actually 'say' it ...
    But yeah - the Mega Collection - where the Mega Drive games were. That's what it was...
    And the gems collection were the hidden missing gems that the mega collection had missed out.

The UK cover from Sonic Retro that doesn't explicitly state it for anyone's reference but the word 'Mega Drive' is all over the back cover in that ring of titles:

[​IMG]

The answer is Rayman 2 blows both of them out the water but the world appears to have collective amnesia about that fact.
    And everyone now hates Ubisoft - who also no longer care about Rayman.

Such is life :(

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  14. MH MD

MH MD

To kinda get back on topic, how about this insane theory?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/crazyalex360/status/1308387043853111297

https://twitter.com/ghaloulou/status/1308369808736612353?s=19

Like, this looks like an incredible stretch, but also somehow convincing?! after the Bethesda deal....could MS actually do it and acquire SEGA? or at the very least make a deal with new Sonic game exclusive for Xbox?

This seems insane and silly to me, something that it shouldn't even happen, and normally i would dismiss those kind of things, but after bethesda thing i don't know anymore......should be fun topic to discuss at least

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are absolutely awesome.

16. Wildcat

Wildcat

This is how I’ve always felt about 3D Mario in general. Like the levels only exist for the sake of housing stars instead of natural and cohesive environments where stars are hidden.

I agree they have improved since 64 but I wish 3D Mario was like Spyro. Naturally flowing stages that seem like actual locations where you work towards a linear exit but must explore to find the rest of the challenges in between.

As for SA. I really do not see how the gameplay is janky other than Big. Knuckles can get tiresome but overall I think each ones gameplay felt different enough. Tails racing Sonic does not make sense though. Should have had him race a robot.

The graphics can definitely be improved but they were great for the time. I always remember being impressed by the realistic texture and definition everything had. They’re not as “retro” as SM64.

17. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Tails entire storyarc of the game is to surpass Sonic, or at least begin to be seen as an equal to him so yes it does make sense. Makes Tails win against Eggman at the end feel earned.

18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    About 5 minutes into Sunshine.

You know how we all tend to poke fun at Sonic Adventure's cutscenes and voice work?

I take back every bad thing I've ever said about it. Even Knuckles' completely flat "Oh no." is masterful compared to Sunshine's awful voice work. In Adventure, it felt like Sega was actually trying. With Sunshine it feels like they were mandated to include voice work and just recorded every line in one take. And a special fuck you to FLUDD. I'll take Navi or Fi any day over FLUDD.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The problem with SA's cutscenes is more about the mouths than the voices.

20. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I only played SM64 once as a kid, at a friend's house. I absolutely hated it, thought it was the most boring thing in the world. I remember liking Galaxy though. Sonic Adventure lacks polish in certain areas, but in no way does that make it a worse game.

Those xbox connections are definitely interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.