don't click here

Sonic 2 Pink Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Jun 18, 2020.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've moved this hack to a separate thread since it is evolving from being just a skin for the base Amy in Sonic 2 hack.

Anyway, I promised a new addition to Pink Edition and here they are:

[​IMG]

I'll let you guys fiddle around with them before I display the controls.

A few bits of polish have also been added. Cream and Cheese have their team work animations like in the S1 hack, Amy's heart sprites are separate objects, and most bugs concerning 2 player mode should be fixed now. Amy also gets to keep Cheese in the final levels of Amy and Cream mode.

The new character's continue screen has not been customised yet, though I think I fixed the game freeze bug with Amy and Cream at least.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...670310129724/Sonic_2_Pink_Edition_Rev_1.4.bin

Special thanx to Hitaxas, Iso Kilo, Cinossu, Kaching720, and many many other members on the Retro board and Discord server.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The new character is great, love the sprites and animation. :thumbsup:

3. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    The new character was a big surprise.

You've really polished this up a lot. I'm guessing we'll see at least one more update?

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Definitely, there's still some bugs and rough edges going on (several of which lead to the new character stacking up a ridiculous amount of points).

Besides that, I'll likely still keep evolving the game as time passes and ideas flow anyway (it's been 7 years since I started this after all). This is my current project that isn't just 'character in base game' and I can just do as I please.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

New revision:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...515295477862/Sonic_2_Pink_Edition_Rev_1.5.bin

* Some mild bug fixes made.
    * Characters can now attack while holding up button.
    * By popular demand, I've added Amy's pratfall attack. Leap and then press A. (Special thanx to Wafer for helping program this.)
    * The new character's projectile now has a reel back in routine after being thrown. I've made their attack animation a bit longer to work with this. If it's considered an obstruction I'll change it back. (special thanx to MainMemory and Hitaxas.)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

New revision:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...117137408191/Sonic_2_Pink_Edition_Rev_1.6.bin

* New mission mode for the new character, look around each level to find a secret....
    * Search around Mystic Cave Zone as the new character to find a bonus...
    * Fixed items and No items options allowed for VS mode.
    * A few more minor bug fixes.

I tried adding Hill Top Zone to VS mode but for whatever reason Pink Edition won't run it properly. Other than a couple bits of polish I think I might leave it at this for my SHC submission. If anyone finds any severe bugs please tell me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

8. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Excellent work. Very well made. I confess I wouldn't expect such one as a third character. It's amazing!

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The mystery guest is a great addition, I only played through EHZ 1 and 2 for now, just to try it out, but it was fun! Btw, in these few minutes I already found a small bug: if you fall in a bottomless pit while doing that thing with the A button, you die using that animation instead of the correct one.

Can I make a video of this hack? Of course with a prominent spoiler warning at the beginning, and only if you don't plan to update it anytime soon.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Oh don't worry it's already spoiled on Youtube anyway. Though if you wait a little while longer I can release a bugfixed version (or I can PM you what I have so far).

And I'll look into that glitch.

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    Even if someone else spoiled it, it's not my style to do so, I always ask permission, and I'll gladly use whatever revision you think is more appropriate.

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Right, try this one:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...185192575016/Sonic_2_Pink_Edition_Rev_1.7.bin

The mission mode's been given a little more polish and some of the sprite conflicts have been fixed (SCZ's still a bit buggy though). I've also came across some instances the game freezes when completing mission mode in a level (often the underwater ones). I think I've rectified most of them, but if you catch any cases of these or any other bugs, please tell me.

Also for now I've limited the new character's body slam to jumping formation only (like Knuckles' glide) meaning you can't do it while running in air. I thought this might lessen issues of activating by accident but if people prefer it like before I can change it back.

13. cs89

cs89

Great, another character hack for Sonic 2.
    I will give a try on Retroarch. :)

14. nineko

nineko

italy
    Bug with Cream alone: press down and hold it, press B and/or C to charge a spin dash, then press A. Cream will change animation, but she retains the spin dash dust. If you release the down button, the spin dash is properly initiated, though.

I'm using 1.7 for my video, though, since I'm playing as mystery guest.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  15. nineko

nineko

italy
  16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Not bad, I see you figured out the capture shortcut. :P

I've fixed that bug with Cream for next revision (which will likely be used in the contest), I'll try and fix that botched special stage results message too. I might also have HTZ added to VS mode after all.

17. Koutoni

Koutoni

This looks pretty cool. Amy’s a cutie, would be interesting to switch between her classic and modern sprites to be fair

Because of Amy being playable, now I kinda imagine someone making an S2 hack with Advance era styled graphics, that would be pretty neat.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm wondering whether to give Amy's sprites a S2 makeover in a later revision since they look a bit out of place next to the others:

[​IMG]

What do you think?