don't click here

Sonic 2 VS (Coming Soon)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Aug 12, 2020.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay since things have gotten busy on the HTZ Tutorial thread, I've decided to move our project talk onto an official thread.

A full VS conversion of the first seven levels of Sonic 2 (EHZ to OOZ) is now underway, done by myself, Cinossu, Markeyjester, MoDule and Zeta_Null.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, things are still a bit unpolished, but thus far we've got all the levels at least raceable through, with all their gimmicks largely working correctly. We'll keep people updated on things as we progress, and if people wanna discuss other research concerning VS Mode, feel free to do so. It might even help the project.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Awwww yeah~

More special stuff to come~

[​IMG]

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    :ssh:

4. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Fuck yes!

Also, I'm guessing it was easier to do "Tails the Fox", instead of his full name.

5. If E-122-Psi is on the team does that mean we're getting more than just Sonic and Tails...?

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I was going to say at least add Knuckles lol

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan

It just didn't occur to us at the time...

[​IMG]

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I guess the dream would be to have one title card shared between the two players, by drawing each line twice

[​IMG]

I'm guessing that probably isn't doable unless you stored the art differently though.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    "My name is Tails Prower, but my friends call me 'Miles'."

(it should be Miles "Tails" Prower)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    already sorted, don't worry :P

11. This is just what happens when you put in up, up, up, down, down, down, up on the title screen.

12. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I'd love to see this, but only after all the initial work getting the levels working has been done. Don't want to see this not be released due to feature creep.

13. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I too have contributed to this. Despite my disinterest in the original 2P mode. I am interested to see where this goes though!

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Oh crap sorry, should have credited you.

Actually there's a TON of other members that have been donating assets or pointers to this project (D.A. Garden is our current bug tester for example). This project may as well be considered a whole community effort from the Retro fanbase.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well it'll be nice to have a good version of Sonic 2 multi-player for sure. Hopefully we can have some community matches at some point.

16. Just wondering if either Metropolis and Wing Fortress are even possible? I know they most likely aren't in due to the looping part in Metropolis and that Wing Fortress doesn't have 2 Acts or end like other levels. But could those be worked around or is it simply not possible?

17. Jdpense

Jdpense

Sonic 2 Chaos Adventure
    I'm quite impressed that you people had the patience to work with the Mega Drive's interlace mode 2 because from experience it can be a pain in the ass and time consuming to get all the tiles arranged a certain way along with the addition of the extra VRAM limitations. I would also like to see Metropolis and Wing Fortress to be playable as RGamer stated earlier if it's possible, which I believe Metropolis should be at least more feasible compared to Wing Fortress.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Since we haven't updated in a long while, we thought we'd share this to show the project is still being worked on:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our tiling wizards Markeyjester and MoDule have gotten Chemical Plant Zone in near perfect condition in split screen. No awkward block mix ups and now CURVES. :D

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'd actually forgotten about this - good to see it's still going!

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan