don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Honestly, I just take the Super Emeralds as Super-Charged Chaos Emeralds. I might have liked an alternate explanation, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as other retcons, especially since Sonic Adventure brought the idea that the Chaos Emeralds were once quite a bit larger 4,000 years ago. I don't mind retcons when they make some semblance of sense.

But the Sonic X thing? No. It conflicts with the game canon anyway: feel free to make sense of Shadow's story if it's shared between Sonic X and Sonic Heroes/Shadow the Hedgehog.

Then again, they're forcing the Two Worlds Scenario down our throat, whether we want it or not.

2. Pengi

Pengi

Of course Sonic X isn't literally canon. But in that post it was being mentioned in the context of a Chaos Control event that linked up Sonic's world and the human world.

GeneHF once mentioned Sonic X in this context, with the qualifier of "somewhat":

"And as Ruby stated, there are indeed two worlds in the Sonic-verse and they're separated by a gate: the human world (Sonic X (somewhat), SA2, Shadow, Unleashed)) and Sonic's World (Colors, Lost World). Blaze's world is separate from this paradigm."

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    And Sonic Adventure has Humans talking about the Classic Series, so bring those games on over to the Human World.

Again, this is all coming off as simply the Iizuka Era attempting to patch the prior games into his idea of canon. Do we have anything in-game before Sonic Colours stating that Earth was a different world all along? Wouldn't surprise me of the Two Worlds Scenario comes from Sonic X entirely, considering SEGA were doing something, I forget the definition, where they were trying to make adaptations and games closer to one another, hence the hiring of the Sonic X dub cast.

4. Powpuck

Powpuck

Maybe the classic sonic games exist in the human world. :specialed:

5. Pengi

Pengi

It's clearly a retcon.

You're shooting the messenger with every post in this thread. All we're doing is sharing information that's been disclosed over the years.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sorry, there was that discussion earlier about how Sonic X provides the reason how Sonic and friends can jump between worlds and how close Sonic Team were to the crew making it that it must be the actual reason behind Sonic Adventure being set on Earth. I had mistakenly thought these quotes were being used to back that up.

Plus side, now we can explain away the Iizuka Era!

Sonic X > Sonic Colours > Sonic Dimens-er, Sonic Generations > Sonic Lost World > Sonic Forces

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]
    So there we have it. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) does not feature a time-skip of years between it and Shadow the Hedgehog, only a vague "at that time" in the Japanese canon. There's still an implied time-skip, but I very much doubt it to be too long, a year at most if we really want to push it.

8. RDNexus

RDNexus

As expected. And I don't believed it took that long, at most.
    Each adventure may not happen each other week, but at least 1/2 months may pass, 6 at best.
    After all, the characters' ages haven't changed at all so far...

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I wasn't expecting to run into someone who could check it, really. I was honestly planning on importing it, getting to that point and getting another translator onto it.

Well, Sonic's has. It's gone from 18 to 15-16, to 15 to possibly 16 in Sonic Generations.

10. RDNexus

RDNexus

HUH?! You kidding, right?
    The first OFFICIAL depiction of Sonic characters' ages was (AFAIK) in Sonic JAM.
    After that, it was Sonic Channel.
    The ages have always been pretty much the same.

And I don't count comics, only games-related stuff.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
  12. Pengi

Pengi

Tails and Amy were given ages in the JP Sonic 2 and Sonic CD manuals. Knuckles was given an age in the US Sonic 3 manual. Espio, Mighty and Vector were given ages in the JP Chaotix manual. Charmy was given an age in the US Chaotix manual (Espio, Mighty and Vector aren't). Bean and Bark's ages were given in the Fighters Megamix Official Guide.

The Modern Sonic cast's current ages (which often contradict the Classic Series ages) were established in the various JP Sonic Adventure guide books. Rouge's age was given in an SA2 guide book, I believe. Espio, Charmy and Vector's ages were given in the Sonic Heroes manuals and Sonic X. Sonic Channel is consistent with these.

The ones that changed:

Classic Sonic: "Approximate age 18" (STI documents), "15-16" (JP Sonic 3 VHS, JP Sonic Jam), 16 (US Sonic Jam)
    Modern Sonic: 15

Classic Amy: 8 (JP Sonic CD)
    Modern Amy: 12

Classic Knuckles: "15 or older" (JP Sonic 3 VHS), 15 (US Sonic 3, JP/US Sonic Jam)
    Modern Knuckles: 16

Classic Espio: 17 (JP Chaotix)
    Modern Espio: 16

Classic Vector: 16 (JP Chaotix)
    Modern Vector: 20

Classic Charmy: 16 (US Chaotix)
    Modern Charmy: 6

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. RDNexus

RDNexus

Sorry, @BlackHole...that matters me not. Shortly that, official stuff aged him 16.
    Even the games' manuals are more relevant to me than that document.
    It may have been envisioned like that at first, but it was quickly retconned.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Just as most things were, like Amy's Age going from 8 to 12, if we don't take it as aging. That's the point of a retcon: to change something.

So Sonic was aged 18 at the start, and retconned down to 15-16, then just 15. And then the Classic, 18/15-16 year old design was changed to a younger Sonic, and then an Alternate Dimension Sonic.

15. Pengi

Pengi

No he wasn't. That was an approximate age, with the disclaimer that it's hard to tell.

I've updated my post to show the age changes.

EDIT: Sonic Jam just gives Knuckles' age as 15, but the Sonic 3 VHS says 15歳以上 (age 15 or older). The same VHS is where Sonic's "15-16" age was established.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Either way, his age isn't as consistent as thought, much like the rest of the cast.

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

It wasn't at first, now it is. And so has been for 20+ years. That's what matters to me.
    Hence me discrediting aging from Classic to Modern. If it happened, it'd have been mentioned.
    An aesthetic change doesn't equate aging. Unless it's properly stated by the creators.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Like in Sonic Generations, where Amy outright says he looks younger?
    [​IMG]
    And Robotnik establishing that the Classic Cast are from the Past?

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Porque no los dos? Classic Sonic being from another dimension, and Classic Sonic looking younger than Modern Sonic, are not mutually exclusive. He's shorter, stockier, and cuter than Modern, so he looks younger than the one that Amy knows. But he's also a Sonic from another universe, as established in Forces/the Sonic 101 book. One of these being true doesn't invalidate the other.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]

I feel like we've been here before.