don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

I can see them retconing that. I don't really have an issue with them not wanting to have them work with team dark. Espically nowadays with current events going on. I'm ok with that their association was always weird. Nothing in that game or whatever it states happened or is canon and I think its all better for everyone to move on and accept that. It was a gigantic embarrassment. Is what it is.

The not being friends part is the bad part imo. It takes away from shadow's development and who he is and why he is. And also removes the good part, that he's also despite being an anti-social violent dick,he's someone who genuinely cares. It seems as though someone at sega doesn't care for that distinction. I've seen speculation on other sides its Sega of America. While this does line up with his boom interpretation I don't quite know. Japan has done some wild stuff before. But whoever it is, its not great and shows a misunderstanding of why the character works. Or flagrant disregard to force another market. Either way it makes me fearful for the franchises future.

Because lets say it is what some are speculating and it is SOA, then that means considering they have suggested to Ian he could be an android. They are trying to create new context for this region. Which is bad will only result in continued confusion and even after who ever is making that decision leaves will have after effects. But if its like Japan, it would seem despite the guy partially responsible for making shadow being in charge of the games , it would seem they have completely lost the plot and have no actual idea why people enjoy their content.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Hm, easy way to remove the characterisation: have Shadow replaced by an android for the past few adventures, find him and have Team Dark recover him to reestablish their friendship. Essentially a Metal Shadow, if desired to keep the lone-wolf Shadow concept he could go off on his own, being less of a villain than Metal Sonic and a recurring opponent as the series goes on.

3. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

While I appreciate your imagination and thought.
    I think the intent of the suggestion half hearted even as it was to essentially remove shadow from everything that isn't " angry loner" which would be maria in that instance. Without saying maria isn't canon, because whoever is suggesting this knows they ever said " maria isn't canon" and it wasn't some boom esque alternate interpretation the reception would be so poor that they would likely not be able to do anything again on that level of change.
    So like I appreciate the idea, though that would be weird because shadow and " metal shadow " would look almost the same. And the shadow androids in comics aren't the ones that look like shadow they are silver and orange. But there's a neat idea there that can be refined and expanded upon. Its just more thought the person who made that cynical suggestion had.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    My thought would be to revert him to the G.U.N. Agent that, that when offered a chance to bring an end to the Humans, would reject it to protect the world Maria loved. Aka his Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) characterisation. I say past few to prepare for when they keep this crap up. The most I'd go to is Sonic Generations, and even then...

5. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

I feel like all that needs to be done is " shadow protects people in his own way " he isn't with gun , he isn't technically with anyone. And they keep rouge and omega his friends, but he doesn't have to explicitly hang around them as often. It facilitates sega's desire for him to stay separate. It allows him to retain characterization. I've just never really seen the need for gun to be involved in his development. And i'm ok with them being faded out of the series

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah I don’t strictly mind Shadow being a lone wolf (er, hedgehog) I just hate how he’s been modelled after Cell Saga Vegeta as an obnoxiously prideful dickwad. Shadow pre-Gens would’ve absolutely implemented the plan Ian Flynn originally wrote for him rather than screaming like an edgelord about how he doesn’t run away.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Oh, Shadow's always been lone wolf, but he also has friends. If Rouge or Omega are in genuine danger, you can be sure Shadow would beeline to them with full strength set to kill.

Lone wolf doesn't mean friendless. It just means he prefers to operate independently when he can, but he also knows when it's better to operate with a group if given valid reason: G.U.N. are a worldwide organisation designed to protect the world, so of course he'd operate with them once they actually started focusing on that task again. He'd just do his missions solo, like what he did when told to go retrieve Rouge in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and proceeds to tear through the White Acropolis facility to do so. I imagine he wouldn't have needed to rip through the robots if he'd had a G.U.N. Squad provide a distraction and he just jumps in silently, for instance on how he could have used backup.

But this Vegeta-lite stylisation is, indeed, out of character. The only justification I could see is that the Black Arms actually had an effect on him and he's channelling the new hostility into this Wannabe Vegeta approach after it built up over time.

(Also, if they're going with Vegeta and Silver is based on Trunks, are they sure that Shadow and Silver aren't related like the fan theory speculates?)

8. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

Some speculate its less pre-gens shadow and more Sega USA shadow at this point. But again, I don't quite know. But it is strange this shadow seems to be only pop up in things they seemingly have some control over. But even then under further analysis that might be entirely too accurate. I guess we will have to see when the next main line game comes out. Whenever that maybe. Or I guess when Sega hardlight releases shadow content

As for what shadow would do, I think there are more problems with that scene that just sega

I don't think he needs to operate with gun still. I feel like they served their purpose, and shadow working with them was always weird. I'm of the opinion of let them die. And with current events going on, its very easy to let this unnecessary element of sonic kind of just die off. An organization can propose to want the same thing and shadow can not trust them. And I think that's all it should be.

I saw tweet that actually provided a very good fan explanation for this shadow. This is a shadow who never got his memories back, he was just shown his memories. In shadow's game he's just shown his memories and is like " oh that's cool I guess" it never came back to him. And he eventually defeats black doom, because of a general sense of greater good but he doesn't really get any of the friendship speeches nor does he care what Gerald and maria has to say.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Actually, G.U.N. can serve a very important purpose: explaining why Robotnik doesn't just take over the Human side of the planet and seems to focus on the relatively undefended animal side of the planet.

And yes, I refuse the two worlds scenario. You can't pay me enough money to say that's a good idea to implement into the games.

Also, a fan explanation is all well and good, but I guarantee SEGA are going to ignore it and mess up more.

10. Taylor

Taylor

Finally gave this series a check up. It's pretty good, though some of the facial expressions look a bit odd to me at times

My only real concern is that that the Zombot arc is surprisingly early. Like this feels like something you end a comic series with, not having it be a second arc. How do you even top an arc like this?

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Well Sonic is missing now, so there's that.
    He's probably gonna jump between dimensions and team up with Classic Sonic because of course he will.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ngl, I'd actually love to see that because I hate how this lore excludes all of that.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That's actually what the plan was. But this was for the Archie Comics run, appropriated into the IDWorld. When you look at the story, you kind of see the welds: it's basically the ultimate evolution of Roboticisation, spreading of its own accord and healing any damage.

14. Taylor

Taylor

Interesting, is there a source on that? It would make a lot of sense tho

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining

47:03 in.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like I'd of preferred this plot in the Archie-verse. This universe wasn't developed enough for a plot of this magnitude. Like where do they go from here? How do the stakes increase after basically everyone died?

17. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    By doing some lighter stuff for a while. Sonic Forces has lower raw stakes than Lost World as Heroes dos than Adventure 2, regardless of how you feel about each of those stories. I do agree there should’ve been more time between Eggman’s revival and the Zombot arc but I wouldn’t say it’s an issue of stakes.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    New issue is out. Pretty much just wrap up from the Metal Virus saga. Despite all that, the issue still had a little too much action for my liking, would've really just liked to breathe for a bit rather than having two more fights in a single issue. Still, regarding the cliffhanger...

+ - Called it. :ruby:  

19. Taylor

Taylor

I think you're meant to take this comic as sort of a broad-strokes continuation of the video games or archie comics than something you're supposed to take on its own. The first issue basically spends it first issue going "oh btw all these past games have happened"

20. dredd

dredd

Banned
    Probably asked something like this before, but what if the next original villain in IDW Sonic is a Devil-type character? (Kinda like Mephiles, but since they can't use him well...)