don't click here

The Snowboarding Sonic Statue Has Been Restored

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JuiceCake, Aug 10, 2020.

1. JuiceCake

JuiceCake

Nickname: Kolix Member
    Badnick Mechanic (Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2sHW7rWT79jt11B_ZEzgCg)
    Has posted an update on the snowboarding Sonic statue in the up in the mountains of Mie prefecture in japan, of someone (sagara7791 on twitter) posted a image of the Sonic statue restored.

To me, its hella beautiful now

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    So happy to see this. ^.^

3. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Sometimes there is good In the world.

4. Powpuck

Powpuck

Is the nose accurately restored, or is it just the angle?

5. JuiceCake

JuiceCake

We only got one photo of it, so its still unsure

6. Linkabel

Linkabel

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  7. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    While the nose was restored, I don't think it was accurately restored. Compared to the footage we have of the statue in its original state, the restored nose looks rather stumpy.
    [​IMG]

Not knocking the beautiful work done, I'm so glad it looks as good as it does now. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  8. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

....So...

I have been contacted by the family of the late Mr Katera (That is how his surname is spelt, google translate has gotten it wrong all this time), the man who originally saved the statue.

I'll be compiling their informtion and pictures later....

But does anyone have any questions that they would like me to pass on, bare in mind there is a HUGE language barrier between us, they're Japanese and trying to speak English, and I'm from Yorkshire and also trying to speak English.

I'm not going to quiz their brains but, if the opportunity does come about then I can try and drop some in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    No questions here, but it would be great if there was a way to scan it for 3D printers, a miniature of it could look great on a shelf. Just wishful thinking, don't take me seriously.

10. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Well... I do actually have the 3D plans for this...

I've really wanted to get a small 3D model of it printed but never been able to find anyone who'd be able to do it, let alone someone with the artistic talent to actually paint it.

11. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    It depends on the size, I suppose. A friend's brother is quite good with his 3D printer, I could ask if I don't forget to do so. :specialed:
    Colouring is a different question, but I think there's a lot of expert mini painters who will also know a way to paint 3D prints. I'll ask around, and, if I get a solution for both phases of the process, I'll bring here the good news.

12. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Someone went to it yesterday and took a little bit of 4k video.

• List
  13. Powpuck

Powpuck

I dunno, fellas, I'm just not feeling that this is a beautiful restoration. While I do appreciate the gesture of someone going through the time and resources to give this object of neglect some TLC, it may have done more harm than good.

It frankly reminds me of the "restored" Ecce Homo.

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I was wondering how long it was gonna take until someone started bitching.
    It's a great restauration, comparing it to Ecce Homo is dickish and uncalled for.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  15. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Sorry for the vid but I cannot find the images I used and... ... I'm tired.

So on the subject of 'restoration' vs the original/what it originally looked like. This isn't the first time this has happened with a Sonic statue. There's another giant Sonic statue above a Sega World in Japan depicting Sonic Leaning against an anchor.

At around 20:36 in the video you can see how it originally looked, it was very much a classic Sonic statue.

Then some years later, after Modern Sonic came along, the Statue got a new paint job and a few other details (20:57), to make him look more like Modern Sonic.

Whilst I prefer the original, had I seen the Modern Sonic design first and never seen the original I'd still say it's a great looking thing.

• List
  16. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Sonic community in a nutshell.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Looking at around 7:27, do the eyes have blue pupils, or does it just appear that way (was the original like that, if so)? Either way, I do love the restoration, aside from the nose. It's really cool that someone took the time to do this.

18. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Yeah they were blue on the original as well so that's accurate.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  19. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

*Bump*

So remember how the owner called me... Finally got around to making the video on it.

Now normally when I post a 'Badnik Mechanic research thread' I do include a ton of photos and sources so it isn't just a 'please watch my stuff' vid.... Right now though I... Really need the money... lol I can't currently work at the moment due to covid being a major problem in my area (I live with 2 very vulnerable people and don't want to risk bringing something back with me from the office!

So I will figure out a way to bulk upload all the pics they shared in a few days because there's quite a lot.

Anyway... a few details at least.

Who fixed it?
    The Katera Family.

They paid for the restoration, they hired someone to come out and fix the statue and repaint it. Sega had no involvement.

Did Sega help at all?
    My NDA prevents me from answering this in full.

Short answer: People at Sega were looking into it, it was being brought up in meetings... But a combination of when the statue was discovered (close to a new financial year), The statue having an owner and of course Covid-19 lockdowns threw some spanners in the works of it being fixed/restored by them quickly.

How Did They End Up With It?
    They ran the Sega World Kadoma building and relations with Sega Sammy at the time were great, however, due to a major road redevelopment in the area the venue was forced to close down, whilst all machines were relocated and returned to Sega, all decorations were due to be destroyed/scrapped.

The family contacted Sammy regarding the statue and they never heard anything back. On the day of the due destruction, they took it home.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  20. JuiceCake

JuiceCake

Well this was an intressting "End of the chapter" of this investigation over the years for this Sonic Statue.
    I wonder SEGA and The Katera Family actually do something more with this or keep it to low-key attraction