don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

From "The Sonic Video Archive Project":

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/the-sonic-video-archive-project.36467/

2. Linkabel

Linkabel

Sonic 2 coming out on April 8, 2022

Same year as the Mario movie! You know every article is going to reference the console wars when it comes to the topic of both movies.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Should come out on the 5th instead. At least a special early screening!

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    ...why? What's April 5th?

5. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I saw someone else make this same suggestion and they said it was related to Sonic2sday somehow.

6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Decided to Google it after you said that. It's A Tuesday. I guess people just want it for the marketing.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    They should have set the release date for the 2nd of February, 2022. 2/2/22.

That's also a Tuesday. Just go the full mile for another Sonic 2sday.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    AND Hedgehog Day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    That would actually be perfect and now I'm disappointed it's not happening. :p

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Well they listened to us the first time...

11. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

So, I have this now as a result of trying to make a shitpost and I thought might as well share it.

Here's a voiceover-less version of the trailer. It's the international theatrical cut so it's shorter than the regular one.

https://twitter.com/AstroSeedP/status/1286843229225324544

There's a link in the replies for an mp4, a prores mov, and a prores mov with 5.1 surround sound.

The last two are still currently uploading due to their very large size so give it a few hours.

With that being said, here's the shitpost in question:

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The movie just got released in China... and it didn't land gracefully. It made only $1.27 million in its opening weekend and was beaten out by local fare. Apparently a big factor it didn't do so well is that it'd already been widely available via piracy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Of course. The Sonic movie came and went 6 months ago. Its good but not wait 6 months to see it in theaters good

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I just watched a little bit of the movie again, but this time I was imagining what the scenes would've looked like with the original design in place.

My appreciation for the movie has intensified sixfold.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I really have absolutely no perspective on what makes a good box office showing for films in the west, even less so for western films in China. My knowledge of the subject ends with a basic "China is a big market". But we already know how well the film performed in the markets where it was released on time. The delay was obviously going to have a hugely detrimental impact on China, so this is not a big deal. The film performed poorly in certain markets after being delayed for half a year, whodda thunk it? It still knocked the ball out of the park with a broken bat.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  16. Pengi

Pengi

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Here's a YouTube mirror for those who don't feel like watching the one in the article:

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    So I actually ended up watching this movie last night just because it happened to be on and...

People have a really low bar for what they consider to be a "good video game movie", huh? I wouldn't say this is a *bad* film but it certainly wouldn't stand out if not for the license and global pandemic that stopped much else from coming out after it. The plot is extremely barebones, the humour, while pretty decent, never really evoked much from me and I think the film suffers from being a radical departure from the games.

I appreciate that, cynically, the movie was aimed more at kids and their parents who recognised the brand more than the core and/or longtime series fans but I don't think that objective at all clashes with the personalities Sonic and Eggman have in the games, and I'm sure they could've still told an origin story with those personalities. As it is, I didn't find any of the characters all that likeable. Every time Robotnik was on-screen, I just felt distracted by how he had next to nothing in common with the actual Eggman. Sonic's more childish and insecure persona in this movie also loses a lot of the charm that made people fall in love with the character, who was cocky but easy-going. I don't mind Sonic being vulnerable and would actually advocate for it but I don't agree with the direction they went in here. Tom didn't feel like he had much to do in this film and I didn't really buy the bonding between him and Sonic, not to mention he absolutely suffers from the hindsight of recent political events, which is by no means the movie's fault but was something that was on my mind nonetheless. Finally, there's Agent Stone, whose lack of screen time surprised me. Given Lee Majdoub's enthusiasm and interaction with the fans, I expected Stone to be a lot more fleshed out but he really just exists to give Robotnik someone to talk to, which is sad because he's clearly so genuine about his interactions with the fans, even when they're talking about other areas of the franchise that he had no involvement in. Honestly if he can pull off a stuffy accent I think he should be brought in to play Dr. Starline if there's ever an opportunity to do that, similar to how James Marsters voiced Zamasu after portraying Piccolo in DB Evolution.

Also this movie's really vague on one of its central plot points of what exactly is up with Sonic's power. It feels extremely non-sequitur the first two times it shows up because it's literally just happening of its own accord and nobody, not even Sonic himself, seems to know why, which then becomes an issue during the climax when Sonic can control said power perfectly without having made any real attempt to do so prior to this point.

Ultimately I think this is an okay but completely forgettable movie that benefited from a variety of factors, but I can't say I'm upset at that. I greatly respect that the backlash to the initial design brought in Tyson Hesse to redesign the character, incorporating more people who are closer to the IP and actually listening to feedback. Furthermore, I'm happy the creative team are being given the opportunity to work with the property again in the sequel, and I hope the success this movie has enjoyed will give them the freedom to tell a story closer to the games rather than shoehorning in buddy cop and real world elements that are just meant to get parents into theatres.

It's still a travesty that this wasn't an animated fare and that Mike Pollock and Roger Craig-Smith were not considered whatsoever for the roles they've now been in for 17 and 10 years respectively, however. :colbert:

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, I agree with you on all points.
    It honestly feels so surreal watching everybody call this a good or even great movie when all I'm seeing is yet another mediocre video game adaptation.
    Sure it's not awful, but it's not great by any mean...right?
    The script is questionable, the human characters are boring, and they couldn't have gotten Sonic and Eggman's personality more wrong if they tried.

I dunno, I'm glad people liked it and Sonic didn't end up a bigger laughing stock than he already was. But I didn't care for this movie, and I certainly don't care for the sequel.

20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I think the point is that we were expecting it to be awful and were pleasantly surprised when it wasn’t.