don't click here

Sonic Dash, on iOS & Android

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Bumpity.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaazimKM2to[/youtube]
    Diggin' the 3D Blast music.

2. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    This is still a very depressing thought. A Modern Sonic game finally gets long term support...but it's only for whales.

3. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I don't find that depressing at all.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Was any sort of soundtrack release put out for Dash by Sega? It's got a decent number of remixes in it. (And ideally it'd need to be still getting updates, given this).

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm not sure when this update came about but they added Mushroom Hill Zone and Jet as a new character. They also finally gave the different sections different tracks. The Beach, Seaside Hill, and Ocean Palace theme is still the default one, but now Green Hill is Green Hill from Sonic 1 (this was the case initially when GHZ came out but for whatever reason they later removed the track), Mushroom Hill is Mushroom Hill Act 2 from Generations 3DS, Sky Sanctuary is Sky Sanctuary Act 2 from Generations PS360, and the Snow Mountain is a seemingly original remix of Diamond Dust Zone.

It's weird that they're still supporting this game after all this time, but it's not a bad endless runner. I do find it funny though how this and Speed Battle are supported still but Dash 2: Boom edition was just canned (although it had some good ideas that I wouldn't mind seeing utilized in this game).

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I do hope they update the Windows store version but I am not holding my breath

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Woah, never thought I'd see those two in a game. And if they're being added to Sonic Dash it likely means they're being added to Forces Speed Battle too.

Someone mod these two into Generations and Forces. I'd much rather the avatar be Tangle than... well the avatar lol.

9. Pengi

Pengi

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/656455815

There was an IDW panel on last week's Sonic Revolution 2020 digital convention (around the 4h44m mark). They talk a little about how Sega have been more hands on with the IDW comic than they were with the Archie comic, and how all new characters go through Sega for approval, feedback, design tweaks etc. This process has been mentioned in a few interviews before, when characters like Tangle, Rough and Tumble were revealed. There was one surprising little tidbit of information though - Sega designed and provided IDW with the Tangle & Whisper logo for the mini-series. They seem to be somewhat invested in the characters. It's also noteworthy that the IDW comics are now being published in Japan.

I'd like for them to show up in "proper" games in the future - if not a platformer, then a multiplayer game like a racer or a fighter. They're the best characters the series has seen since Blaze, adding some much needed variety to the female cast.

The Freedom Fighter characters came from the DiC cartoons. The Archie comics were published first, but they were based upon the cartoons while they were still in production. That's why their designs and colour schemes (in both Spinball and the early comics) reflect the pilot episode, Heads or Tails.

Amy and Charmy both made their debut in Shogakukan's comic series in Japan. According to Ohshima, Amy was a "game first" character, but he vaguely recalls Charmy (a character he was asked to design) being created for the comic. Hoshino once said that there were many voices involved in the creation of Amy, including editors of the comic series.

Sonic Chronicles infamously took character ideas and concepts from Archie's Knuckles comics and filed off the serial numbers.

This would be the first time characters created for a western Sonic comic book have appeared in a video game.

10. Wildcat

Wildcat

I don’t read the IDW series. I just lost track of the comics a long time ago. I do have a lot of the Archie comics but only up til like the early 2000s. I have a few of mini digest books too.

Its cool having comic characters appear in games. I too hope they become mainstream even though I really do not know what they’re like. I just think all the characters deserve to be together.

I wish the Freedom Fighters would make the jump (I think they will eventually). It’s kinda funny they’ve been around since the 90s but Tangle and Whipser only since IDW took over and they’re already getting slightly more attention.

I know Sally Acorn was part of Sega World.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I don't. I've always found the Freedom Fighters painfully dull, and their designs don't mesh well with the games. Even their post-reboot designs.

12. Wildcat

Wildcat

Not sure how they’re dull. They each have a unique trait about them. Maybe Antoine was dull since he was more about comic relief, in the cartoon anyway. I can’t remember off the top of my head what he was like in the comic.

I really do not see how their designs don’t fit. I look like Sonic characters. Especially Sally and Bunnie.

13. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Personally, I've found their designs painfully generic. Tangle and Whisper, to me at least, look much more like Sonic characters than the Freedom Fighters, who are more like generic "animal" characters (although for the life of me I cannot figure out what species of animal is Antoine). The exception is Bunny Rabbot, whom I like very much.

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Because having one unique trait each doesn't make them interesting, if makes them boring one-note characters. Which is what they were in the episodes I watched and comics I read. Rotor was just the non-action tech guy. Dulcy was just the ditz. Sally had little personality and hardly any flaws, and by the cartoon's second season she was pretty much a Mary Sue who seemed to be there to show how much of a clueless fool Sonic was all the time. Antoine was a super-sterotypical French soldier caricature. Admittedly, Archie tried to make him less stereotypical and cowardly later on, but it became clear they didn't know what to do with him.

Even ignoring their pre-reboot designs, how many game anthros can you name who have human-like hair separate from their fur on their heads?
    Well, you could say Honey the Cat (who I always thought looked out of place), but at least she had the excuse of being a guest fighter and an anthro version of Honey from Fighting Vipers. There's also the fact that she was scrapped from the game (even if later ports restored her).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  15. Wildcat

Wildcat

I say this with no disrespect to any Sonic characters because in general I like all of them...but I think other game characters can seem generic too.

Coming off Sonic, Tails and Knuckles they pretty much all share the same kind of traits or abilities with varying backstory. The Freedom Fighters are not any more or less interesting than anyone who is mainstream.

Only example of hair I think of is Lola Bunny (not game I know) but Sally having actual hair is really not a big deal. You could always design it to look more like her fur I guess, if they really wanted to.

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm not saying that all of the game characters are interesting and well-developed. There are a plenty of characters I could do with, and a number of them are quite superfluous... which is one of the reasons I wouldn't want the Freedom Fighters making the game cast even more bloated.

I guess I should have clarified, when I said game anthros I was talking about Sonic games exclusively.

17. Wildcat

Wildcat

But now that I think about it, the Freedom Fighters are probably more developed than any other side characters since the comic lasted so long. That’s even more reason to include them.

Not that they’d translate the comics 100% but they have a lot to work with. If they were part of the games I imagine they’d take about as much focus as the others do now. Which is pretty even imo. They’d probably take a bit of the spotlight in whatever game they first appear in since they’d be new but that’s just to introduce them.

Oh Antoine is a coyote. Had to look it up cause I forgot. Haha.

I know you meant Sonic games with the hair thing. I just don’t think it’s an issue. By the way I’m referring to their traditional designs. Not the post Genesis ones but those would be fine too. Kinda their point right? To match the game look.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

The gameverse cast is already big enough. And Forces tried its hand at a Freedom Fighters-esque approach to the cast.
    Why the need to make another Forces only to try bring in characters that might add little to nothing to the gameverse?
    Tangle & Whisper seem like guest characters, like Longclaw, to promote a media deriving from the games. And it's fine.

19. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

it's a DREAM PARADOX Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    i have no skin in this argument but ill say i think whisper is genuinely one of the cutest and coolest designs in the whole series and im glad if her and her girlfriend tangle, whom she is dating, because they are lesbians, become canon to the actual series tbh. i doubt they actually will but a girl can dream

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

Dear Goodness, @Roxie Mika! What you made me discover xD
    The Diamond Cutters! It's nice to see a MGS reference in Sonic.