don't click here

SEGA launches the Sonic 2020 project, promises to release Sonic news on the 20th of every month

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DreamsComeBlue, Jan 20, 2020.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think there was one on the 16th or 17th. I'm not sure what it entailed.

2. MH MD

MH MD

Now that we are 21 hours away from New Game+ Expo and they didn't give sonic fans any head-up to watch it, i am more sure we won't see anything there sadly, especially since they would usually notify fans to anticipate their SXSW events for like a month before

We got our Sonic 4, it didn't work out well.

But doesn't Mania achieve the same thing anyway? in 2D side, it even disregard Sonic 4 funnily enough.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya we're prob going to get like a birthday meme and then more radio silence.

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Sonic 4 didn't retcon anything. It just told a new story squeezed in between 3K and Adventure.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'd be all for it, I think the characters would really benefit from it. Go back to when Sonic and Eggman didn't act like memes, Tails wasn't a scaredy cat, Knuckles wasn't a clueless buffoon who is only around to provide comedy relief, Shadow wasn't a gun-toting half-alien, etc. They can always reintroduce newer characters in new games.

Of course, that's assuming they hire some competent writers who can handle the characters better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Yes.
    It would be even more laughable if Sonic Team de-canonizes dozens of mediocre games to create a new continuity with another mediocre game.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It really wouldn't hurt to reboot Sonic's plot. Stylistically, thematically, and tonally the series is a fucking mess.

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

*cough*Ian Flynn*cough*

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

10. MH MD

MH MD

As does Crash 4, it didn't really retcon anything that we can see, just it squeezed a story after 3 and made a joke about it, but that mostly cause :
    1- The original trilogy are the most known games and have the most sales, PS2 games didn't do well at all and most people don't actually recognize them, so calling it 4 is a great marketing move for casuals.
    2- It seems the plot is about time and dimensions so there is a lot of shenanigans here, as that joke also implies that they indeed had more adventures but crash and coco are not aware of it in this point of time.

and to be really honest, Sonic already retcons a lot of shit all the time so what's really the difference? it just needs to make great game like Mania that is all and people will like it and buy it, whats the point of making Adventure 3 if it has bad quality as well even if it "retcons" everything happened after? we already had this song and dance with Sonic 4, don't really want to see it again, just want a new great game that is all.

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

? The trailer makes it kind of clear that it's retconning those games. Toys for Bob also implies it in this Polygon interview when they say it's a "true sequel". It's nothing like Sonic 4 and Mania. Sonic 4 was squeezed in between 3K and Adventure, Mania is set in an alternate dimension. Those are false equivalencies.

That's besides my point, anyway. What I'm talking about is something like Terminator: Dark Fate, which ignores all the Terminator movies beyond T2.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  12. MH MD

MH MD

I guess i still don't get the difference yet, cause i still don't see any outright retcons in the crash 4 announcement trailer, nothing that happened after the trilogy is here for example, if you put this new game -based on the trailer alone anyway- between crash 3 and wrath of cortex, not a single thing will change and the story will continue as normal...whatever little story there is anyway, i don't see Crunch here for example or any recent elements.

With the geoff interview they mentioned it's the first new crash game after 10 years and calling it "technically the 8th main game" never they said it's retconning anything or pretended that nothing happend after the og trilogy, just that they are making direct sequel to 3 cause the og trilogy is the most successful, they also mentioned it have a lot of time and multiverse shenanigans ,the mask questioning that already is a hint imo.

"True Sequel" to beloved games is something Sonic already attempted, twice, with both sonic 4 and sonic mania, i remember the marketing says a lot of things like that for both games, Mania make it more obvious with the elevator thing, even if it's not called sonic 4 or sonic 5 or whatever, you can both make a "true sequel" and without the need of retconning anything

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

And Sonic 4 probably was retconned to be placed in the same dimension as Mania.
    Sega wanted to retcon Sonic CD to be placed after Sonic 3K, which would be a retcon for Sonic 4 Episode I as well.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah, I think even they'd acknowledge Sonic 4 is part of the Modern timeline.

15. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Source?

16. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Having very little experience reading Flynn's work, and also hearing extremely mixed opinions about how good of a writer he actually is, I'm unsure about the prospect of him writing the game scripts. I feel like anyone would be better than what we've had, but I am interested in what others think about this.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

https://sonicretro.org/2011/08/27/sega-staffer-speaks-sonic-cd-details-revised-as-sonic-4-prequel/

"When asked about the curious use of Sonic 4 assets in the reveal trailer for the game, Balough confirmed that Sega has retrofitted Sonic CD‘s place in the timeline as after Sonic 3 and Knuckles but before Sonic 4: Episode 1. The rationale behind this was that Sonic CD’s developers never put any direct mention of Sonic CD‘s place in the timeline."

But I think (strongly) that this retcon was re-retconned in Mania.

18. Frostav

Frostav

I was making a big post pointing out that the cast would be huge even cutting off everything post-SA2 until I realized you meant they would reintroduce Cream/Silver/Blaze/etc. (though really who else is important enough to come back lol) in games, not whole new characters.

A reboot would be really good, though.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I don't know how (un)popular is this opinion but, to me, aside from Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Shadow, the only interesting modern characters are Blaze and Silver. And these two should not participate in 99% of the games, because they are not from the same dimension/timeline/whatever as Sonic.

(and Boom Amy is better than Amy)

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey reintroducing Blaze and Silver would fix up that continuity error. Hell they could even reintroduce the classic characters they cut. Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bark, Bean, and hell even Honey deserve another chance. Plus that way they can mix up the characters seen in each game. Unleashed did it right, it had Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and Amy (for god knows why, but still), short sweet and to the point. But not every character needs to be in every game either. Maybe some of them could take a back seat every now and then. Prob can't cut Tails at this point, but Knuckles has a job to do, Silver is from the fucking future, Blaze is from... somewhere. Like, what if the supporting cast in a game was just the Chaotix, or the main heroes of a game were Sonic, Shadow, and Rouge. We don't need all the characters together at all times, especially if only Sonic is playable anyway.

Also get rid of the fucking zeti. Shit can them please or significantly reboot those assholes.