don't click here

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX announced

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by JaxTH, Jun 10, 2020.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The first time you encounter a boss what they use is set. If you lose and retry then it becomes random.

2. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

You might like the Switch AGES version, it displays the Janken pattern on screen.

3. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    A brand new generation can now incorrectly refer to the game as "Alex the Kid"

In fact, I'd love to see a boss battle between "Alex Kidd" and "Alex the Kid"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Or more accurately, it uses a fixed seed. If you always lose the first one it's still always the same afterwards, it's just different to what it would be if you didn't lose.

5. Vangar

Vangar

The original has this too, but you need to pickup an item. You can pickup the telepathy ball in level 7, the cave. There's also one in Radaxian Palace. Activating the item does nothing but drop it, just keep it in your inventory and you should see what they are thinking for the rest of the game after picking one up.

Though it doesn't help at all, as they keep changing their mind, sometimes even in the last frame before they throw.

Better to just have the list of correct throws with you, if you don't fail one they stay the same the entire game. EDIT: Actually, newcomers or people wanting to beat the game fully should read this page for some tips https://www.smspower.org/seganotebook/alexkidd/alexkidd.html
    EDIT2: Aside from the note that says don't buy the motorcycle as you can't miss the spikes. this is totally untrue lol. maybe difficult for a new player but certainly can be avoided...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    How similar is Miracle World to Enchanted Castle? That's the one I played and it was decent. Might get this.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    It does help. I had a strategy where if they changed at the last moment, I'd also change. I can't remember the specifics, but it meant it was always either a win or a draw for me.

8. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Sorry for the bump, but I've been playing through the game and figured I'd give my thoughts.

Aesthetically and story-wise there have been improvements. Game looks absolutely stunning and they've added in little bits of dialogue with characters you meet in the stages in the form of citizens turned to stone and enemies that didn't have much to say before. I'm actually getting some semblance of a story here that's slightly better fleshed out than the original game, but only just. That said, the game is absolutely as brutal as the SMS original. While the infinite lives option helps, you can very easily slip off platforms, miss enemies, and don't even get me started on the bosses (I'm stuck on the penultimate boss at the moment and it feels incredibly cheap). The fact that Alex dies at the drop of a hat if he touches anything is also kinda annoying. It's around $17 on Steam if you're interested but tread carefully if you're not used to 80s difficulty in your games.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm disappointed they removed the cool little transition in the first level music when you go from above ground to water. It's just an instant change now, even in retro mode.

That's all I have to say about it really. It's Alex Kidd.

10. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Um, I just checked gameplay footage of the original game, and it's pretty much an instant change there as well...

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You didn't check well enough then. In the original game the tune fades out and the drums keep going for about a second until the water music kicks in.