don't click here

Dreams Come True - 1988 Tape Demos

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mastered Realm, May 30, 2020.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Back in 2010 a user named 'norusoru1' uploaded many tape demos of a japanese band named 'Cha-Cha & Audrey's Project', which would be known starting from 1989 as Dreams Come true. Included with the files is a song called 'Sweet', the original name for Sweet Sweet Sweet, the theme Masato Nakamura submitted as the Sonic 2 ending:

These demos have been lost for a long while but my friend @HPZMan had them backed up all this time. So, here they are.

~Tracklist~
    Tape 1
    01 Bike
    02 Drive Out
    03 Goodbye My High School
    04 Hitome
    05 Mirai Yosouzu
    06 Only You
    07 Pa-Ra-hausu
    08 Salad
    09 U Ha
    10 Funk
    11 Up
    12 Women

Tape 2
    01 Anata ni Aitakute
    02 Don't You Say
    03 Lat 43° N
    04 Don't Make Me Love You More
    05 Hisashiburi no/I Miss You
    06 Ai wo Tomenaide
    07 Sweet
    08 Ureshi Hazukashi Asagaeri
    09 Mirai Yosouzu 2
    10 Sotsugyou Raibu

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 15
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. RDNexus

RDNexus

It's a bit saddening that the tape's specs deteriorated the song's quality...

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It was a tape that was probably badly stored and then was converted to a lossy low bitrate AAC on youtube only to be converted again to lossy 128kbps mp3.

I think they sound great, all things considered.

4. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Sweet, it's almost as if you're sneaking a peek into their rehearsal room. I sometimes prefer the raw sound of a demo tape to the studio recording. Band is still around today btw

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Hey that’s nice. The retro distorted sound is in these days, so it’s perfect! Thanks for sharing this!

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Are any of the other demos something that became Sonic music?

7. Nice find! The low quality of the music itself definitely adds to the 80’s vibe! I just have to wonder if Dreams Come True have higher quality versions of these demos tucked away somewhere.

8. GrounderSez

GrounderSez

UK
    interested in sonic and experimenting with disassemblies
    This is a cool find!

9. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Really awesome find, forgot how much I love "Sweet Sweet Sweet" and the 80s synths in this version (particularly during the vocal breaks) are really awesome.

10. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    This could be my favourite version of the song now. Amazing find!

11. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I found it interesting that a lot of the lyrics are completely different in this version.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's interesting, but it's not unusual - have a listen to this Michael Jackson track called "Starlight" that you will know under a very different name and tone...

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    To add to that example, I do Pendulum archival work in my free time, and basically every vocal Pend song has at least one live rip or demo out there with completely different lyrics.

In The Island's case, the original lyrics were far more depressing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    Yeah, I don't think it's uncommon for artists to change the lyrics from their demos in the final version in general. It's very much like how content in prototypes of video games get changed up as it gets developed. Still interesting nonetheless.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    That demo sounds exactly like something I'd hear from a 1980s Super Sentai or Metal Heroes ending theme with the low quality.

A higher quality version would of course be best, but I know early 90s/80s media from that era very, very well and it fits it to a T.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ITT people thinking that audio cassettes used to have poor sound quality back in the day. :rolleyes:

17. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Wow it’s been so long since I heard this demo.. it’s amazing how Thriller started out.. the same can be said with MJ’s Al Capone demo which became Smooth Criminal

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Speaking of...

Isn't that the prototype Sonic 1 drum sample?

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I just played the prototype video and Al Capone back to back.. I gotta say even with the Genesis quality, they sound eerily similar.. interesting note

20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    The drum sample is from a specific synth isn't it? It's pretty easy to end up with the same samples showing up across tracks and genres if the same tools are used.

(it is extremely common in bass music such as dubstep to have drops with the same "sound" across different artists because they're using the same Serum or Massive patches)

-

Back onto the subject of these demos:

Don't forget, the options menu also uses this same theme ;)