don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    I've been making this for around about a year now and I'm not sure if I should make a thread about this, since it is just a demo, so I thought I'd share it here.

So I created this Sonic 1 ROM Hack called Sonic 1: Better Edition (name is temporary, would appreciate suggestions), because I wanted to add a few more features to Sonic 1 to make it a bit faster and more fun, since I can't really enjoy the original Sonic 1 due to how much it lacks in speed compared to the sequels.

+ Added Spindash (see https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Add_Spin_Dash_to_Sonic_1/Part_1)
    + Added Dropdash (see https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/how-the-drop-dash-works-in-mania.37587/)
    + Changed Sonic's art and animations to their Mania counterparts (some animations still aren't final)
    - Removed Speed Caps (see https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Remove_the_Speed_Cap)
    * Fixed the Walk-Jump bug (see https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Fix_the_Walk-Jump_Bug_in_Sonic_1)
    * Ported Sonic 2's Level Art Loader (see https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Port_Sonic_2's_Level_Art_Loader_to_Sonic_1)
    * Fixed The Spike Bug (see https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Change_Spike_behavior_in_Sonic_1)
    * Improved the Fade In/Fade Out Progression Routines (see https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Improve_the_fade_in\fade_out_progression_routines_in_Sonic_1)

Plus a lot more which I don't remember, so I might edit the post later

* Super Sonic (it's already in the game, but is disabled due to missing sprites and palette issues)
    * Tails (he's already in the game, but is disabled due to missing sprites, palette issues and bad flight code)
    * Knuckles (it's already in the game, but is disabled due to missing sprites, palette issues and missing glide/climb code)
    * An Options Menu to select between different characters, art and gameplay options

Here's the link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/b7dwew

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

2. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    Palmtree Panic Zone Act 1 Present as a standalone Genesis ROM. Time travelling doesn't change time zones, getting a game over or beating the level only resets it, and no music or PCM sound effects.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Download

3. baraksha

baraksha

Israel
    I have not used this account a lot, but I just want to say. this hack is pretty cool, this is basicly all I hoped I would do on my own first rom hack I made back before Mania was out (Sonic 1 Mania Edition).
    altho you didn't really implemented some my outdated level design changes I made lol.

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    So, the recent new Sonic 1 Beta footage showed Sonic having less air time underwater, which explains why there are areas that are more generous with the air bubbles. Although Sonic 1 is largely possible to complete without using air bubbles at all, this made me wonder if it's possible to complete Labyrinth Zone if were entirely submerged instead. Turns out, you can't! This however, inspired me to create a mini-hack that includes some level tweaks to make it possible, for a neat little challenge (although I'm not sure if it's been done before). The hack only includes Labyrinth Zone (accessible right from the title screen), and adds a couple of bug-fix amenities (walk-jump, spike bug, etc.).

I present, Underwater Labyrinth Zone:

ULZ.PNG

Download

(p.s. for an extra fun time, select a level with the C Button from the level select menu)

Please let me know if you run into any bugs!

Edit: Accidentally broke the download link. Link updated.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Would you like some collaboration? I have ported multiple characters to S1 (7 in total, counting Sonic), along with many optimizations for my hack., including updated Ring, Object and Priority Managers, and some things you wont find in SCHG, such as a variation of Markey's fading routine for white outs... etc. PM me if you want any help. Maybe I can help you out.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  6. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

@Random Gaming I really love this, it feels fantastic to play, it runs soo much smother and faster then basic sonic one! I would love to see the whole game run like this, and the colors and graphics seam to be a touch more clean and vibrant, i think thats the sonic 2 loader you have maybe?? idk could just be the speed making it feel brighter. but still great improvement over og. i hope you can do the whole game like this.

7. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    I would love a collaboration, as optimizations would help out a lot, since I am planning on massively optimizing the game for next demo. I wont be needing any character code yet, plus I want to challenge myself with all the code porting, so that I can get a bit better understanding of how it works. I will definitely PM you if I need help with something that's too out of my league.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm still working on adding more features and even have added some, like smooth ring rotation, Sonic 2 invincibility and a few other things that you will have to discover once the next demo is out.

Thank you! I have actually changed the palettes in Green Hill to match some new badnik art I ported (barely anything changed with this new art, it just makes it feel a tiny bit more vibrant). Also yes you are right, it is the Sonic 2 loader, I even mentioned it in the OP. The whole game playable in this form will be available at some point, but I can't promise anything for next demo, due to how many palette issues emerged from the Sonic Mania palette, which I won't be focusing on at the moment.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I've been recently playing around with Sonic 1, and experimented with the idea of Sonic being underwater:

Inverted LZ.PNG

:V

After playing around with it, I actually found it to be a odd, but fun way to experience Labyrinth Zone. So I decided to clean it up a bit, and release it as another mini-hack as an apology for Underwater Labyrinth Zone. Normally, the zone cannot be completed like this, so there are a few little tweaks added here and there in the level design, in addition to the usual amenity bug fixes (walk-jump, spike-bug).

Download

This was much more of an experimental, proof-of-concept sort of thing (so no caterkillers this time) but I might implement this in a future project some day. Special Thanks go to MainMemory for the idea (and his many utilities), to snkenjoi for Flex 2, to KoH, and to MarkeyJester for his help with fixing the REV01 ripple deformation effect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Now that I'm back to the scene, here's a new build of my relaunched S1: 8x16 project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdm5fa6ivxzz2ot/S1C - Casual Mode Build.bin?dl=0

Casual and Expert modes are available. They aren't finished, but they are playable to the end. I recommend the former if you just want a quick run through, and the latter if you want a rough time.
    Sonic has all of his abilities (no Homing Attack, but peelout, spindash, Instashield, Drop-Dash, albeit not properly implemented yet)
    Level Select is available at the end of the menu, though 8-bit zones aren't implemented yet, so don't select those.

I'm looking for feedback for palettes and layouts of the Casual and Expert modes. Also, credit (in part) to AceSpark for the Labyrinth/Bridge Zone boss sprite... and to Owarisoft team for helping finish that one up.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  10. Devon

Devon

your mom
    I felt that the new palettes looked a bit weird in some areas. Some parts were too saturated, some parts were too bright or dark, and some of the color choices felt odd. I didn't really notice many level layout changes in both difficulty modes. However, in expert mode, I definitely noticed how the ring loss worked like in 8 bit Sonic 1, and how the lava in Marble Zone had the spike bug/feature thing, and also the shorter invulnerability time that made Scrap Brain Zone feel even cheaper than it was in stock Sonic 1.

Also, I only ever really used the spindash and instashield. I think the drop dash and peelout here just feel like overkill.

11. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    It looks really promising and I cannot wait to see this finished, but there are a few flaws I'd like to point out:

* The animation for the scattered rings isn't played out properly and uses I believe only 4 frames
    * You cannot dropdash on a slope (I have the code for that, shoot me a DM if you would like me to help you)
    * While this isn't exactly a flaw, it would be nice to have some dropdash art and sounds to go with it, because I never really know when I'm dropdashing
    * As the palette is fading to white to go into a Special Stage you can see the HUD break for a split second
    * In the Special Stage the RINGS text doesn't load unless you have already collected a ring
    * Although I decided not to point out palette issues, as you probably already know them, I will point out something I believe is a genuine oversight
    [​IMG]
    * In Scrap Brain Act 3 the objects are layered above the layout, instead of below as they were in the original
    * In the same Act the points did not use proper art
    * In the ending sequence when Sonic runs to the left, a lot of the flower art was broken
    * In the end of the game when robotnik jumps on the END text (I did not try this with the bad ending), some rings from a demo that previously played appear on screen
    [​IMG]

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Cheers guys for the responses so far. There is still a lot to do, especially with layouts as I've really just put my focus on Casual layouts so far (and working bosses into those acts) Now to tackle these and make my to-do list:

* Ralakimus
    - Thank you for chatting with me in PM about the palettes, and I'll keep working on them. I'm quite happy with Star Light now, after your feedback. I'll remove the spike bug entirely, and get rid of the shorter invuln frames... but I'm keeping the ring loss mechanic.
    - Thank you for noting that about the abilities. I do intend to keep them in but maybe it may remain optional. With that said, I'm implementing a Time Attack (Already have the HUD and code, just putting it off for later... I think these will be more suited for those modes).
    * RG
    - I didn't really notice about the scattered rings. Thank you for pointing this out. I'll look more closely at that.
    - I am aware of the drop dash, and would love the assistance. I was planning to leave it alone and figure it out myself later using the pseudo-code MainMemory posted, but if you are willing to help, I certainly won't refuse it.
    - I agree about the sounds and visuals, though I'll probably keep it simple, in line with what the latest Sonic 1 re-release (Mega Play) did, though I'm curious to get your thoughts.
    - The HUD issues I'm aware of. The former, I'm not sure exactly how to fix. This started happening after I ported the S2 non-object HUD and is part of the reason why the HUD now scrolls in and out of frame. The latter issue (which I just noticed earlier today while applying a change to special stages) I'm sure is a simple enough fix. I'll tackle that first.
    - The road sign is, for all intents and purposes, an oversight. I am moving certain tiles to not use the first palette line anymore, and didn't finish work on those particular parts of the chunk. Easy enough fix, hell it's even fixed in my old build. I've just been a little lazy.
    - SBZ3's issue is a result of me porting the new art in via SonLvl. I don't wanna pin all the blame on that app, perhaps I made an error somewhere. It'll be a simple fix, just time-consuming... As for the points, I had no idea. Nice catch.
    - On that note, Ralakimus pointed out a bug in that zone related to floor collision. IDK how that happened and plan on fixing it ASAP.
    - Flower art is broken, AND palettes when NOT in normal mode. I will get to that later on.
    - Cheers for pointing out the rings in the END screen. The level_started flag must not be getting cleared at the end of the credits. I'll look through that and get that fixed.

Thank you both so much for this! Anything else, please do let me know. Improvements to layouts will come over time, as right now I wanna get the gameplay right first.

13. Devon

Devon

your mom
    What happened is that there was a platform object near the floor. When I stood on it, it sank down a bit and clipped me through the floor.

14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I experimented with that for a bit. Seems it has nothing to do with the solidity of the level but I cant figure out what on earth is going on with that thing. It only happens in that spot. I need to work with that for a bit.

15. Devon

Devon

your mom
    What happened was that the floor was marked as fully solid (in the original, it was top solid), so when the platform sank down enough while Sonic was standing on it and was marked to move up towards the spikes, it detected the floor as a ceiling, and thus shifted down past it.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I officially claim SonLvl did it... admittedly it was still probably my fault for not using a feature or two properly. But I'm gonna have to reexamine that entire zone with a fine tooth comb. RIP me.
    ALSO, new link. Old one had a checksum error that I thought I had fixed. I'm seeing my older age start to shine through. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdm5fa6ivxzz2ot/S1C - Casual Mode Build.bin?dl=0

17. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    Something else I just noticed with this hack, which did stand out my first time playing I just didn’t really pay attention to it, is that the dropdash seems to start off using $C00 Inertia right off the bat, instead of using what mania would use as a base ($800), which makes the dropdash extremely overpowered. It’s not very hard to implement, but if you have trouble just send me a message, because I do have the code for it.

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I did adjust that already, but you are right. It did start off using the max speed right off the bat. I just quickly threw it in there like that to test it out, with the intention of using a more proper method later. Thanks to MainMemory's thread on the matter, it's since been fixed.

19. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    As you've all seen, I've been playing around in Labyrinth Zone recently, and I have seen many people mention wanting to see Labyrinth Zone without water at all:

Dry Labyrinth Zone.PNG

As an apology for my previous aquatic shenanigans, here's a hack that aims to fulfill that request. Yep, no water here at all, not one drop. Just a dry Labyrinth Zone, I promise.

Download

So yeah, if you haven't noticed yet (or have understandably refused to click the download link), this is a mini-hack that floods the level with water at randomized intervals. Only Labyrinth Zone + SBZ 3 are playable, but I've again included Caterkiller Mode (activate by selecting a level in the level select with the C button).
    There is a known sprite bug occurring that I plan on fixing in a later release; I've decided to expand this into a full Sonic 1 hack, so I'll figure it out/address it then, along with anything else that will come up. Special Thanks to Joenick for helping to identify it!

20. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Happy Sonic Birthday, peeps. Because my obsession knows no limits, here's what's probably-almost-certainly the final version of my Sonic Spinball Controller Hack.

It does everything the previous version did, with the following changes:

• Optimized remapping routine (you'll never know)
    • Added support for the Saturn 3D pad (including simple ADC support for the analogue stick), the Saturn keyboard (if you want to play the game with the absolute worst possible option) and PROBABLY the Saturn wheel (untested because lol).
    • Added remapping support to the pause screen

To remap the controller whilst the game is paused, press up on the dpad and any of the face buttons. Pressing buttons A-C changes the normal three-button map, with the button you press becoming the "both flippers" button. Pressing X-Z sets the map for the extra buttons, as described in the below quoted post.

Download

Previous post:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020