don't click here

That new prototype footage of Sonic 1 going around...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MrMechanic, May 10, 2020.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I can see why the spring yard zone spikes were never used, seemed way too cruel or annoying, bumpers are enough :P

Really nice footage, I like how after the raising platforms over spikes area in ghz2 there's another ball with the moto bug, and a red spring to shoot you back if you don't jump lol, very marble zone.

The underwater time seems like half what it is in the final game, just going from that you can kind of see why they might be goggle monitors if you could only last 15 seconds in water normally!

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. Awesome!!

I've always wanted to see the ufo's in Marble & ball in Green Hill moving, so this is great.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Minor object layout difference, but the GHZ 1 S-tunnel has two rows of rings in it, rather than one.

Edit: Also, Sonic is unable to run off-screen at the end of the act to the right, and the bonus points seem to be either moved, or missing.

4. Loop

Loop

Pure of Heart. Dumb of Ass. Member
    Am I the only one hearing the snare sample being too loud or even uncompressed? I hear it with a lot of punch than usual. Wonder if it's inherited from that music service that Japan had with the Mega Drive (GHZ can be heard here).

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The pitch is lower.

6. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    OMG very first footage of Streets of Rage 1 prototype !
    Very interesting findings !

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    A few things I've noticed:
    • Robotnik doesn't laugh when he drops the spike ball down.
    • The lights under his ship do not seem to blink, I thought it might be the framerate, but the ball does switch frames at some point while the lights remain fixed on the right red bulb.
    • Robotnik's ship does not sink down after he gets destroyed, he just straight away flies off.
    • The animals in the capsule all spawn from a central point, instead of spawning all at once along the bottom of the capsule.
    • The outter frame of the glowing round blue/red lights for SYZ are different.
    • Roller bug things in SYZ appear to have the right graphics, so the caterkiller art hasn't overwritten them in this build.
    Amazing find though guys! This is so exciting~

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Flygon

Flygon

That Shining Force footage is incredible! I can already spot one of the NPC sprites is clearly a placeholder, nevermind the fact the music is ported over from and seems to be a bit remixed from Shining in the Darkness.

Delicious stuff.

9. Xilla

Xilla

Another Streets of Rage difference.....Adam uses Axel's voice but lower pitched.

In the final version, there's an unused higher pitched version of Adam's voice that can't be accessed on the sound test unless you use an Action Replay code (along with that of the boss), it's stored next to Adam's normal one with Axel's at the end after the boss.

I always assumed the higher pitched one was Axel's original but now I'm thinking it was the other way around - They possibly replaced the Axel ones with Adam's then reinstated it later on for Axel alone.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

So for the special stages, I am unsure if the goal blocks were meant to do what they did in the final. I think the footage starts where you would spawn, hinted further how the music is at the very begin and how he can only go to one way. Later in the footage, you see a wall of red squares at 7:03. So, I believe for one that the special stage was still unfinished. Possibly the goals are where you start, and the red thingies would be where you finish. It could also be that the red thingies kicked you out (like the goals would) and that you had to go even further for the emerald.

An other possibility is that the special stage was purely for bonus rings, which would indeed mean the red squares is where you finish, and your goal was to get as many rings as you could, similar as S1 MS/GG

EDIT: I am incorrect and the music is not at the beginning. However, maybe the footage was on pause and there were rumors before that in the prototype version the music kept going while the game is on pause.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    This earlier build has them (and the final build has those flipped tiles too) - I think what you're seeing is a scrolling thing.

EDIT: oop no I just re-checked, I think the background is slightly different. I was getting confused with a different tile that's flipped.

12. Pengi

Pengi

Dean Sitton once vaguely recalled the "wrecking balls" being used to smash through walls, before Sonic was able to. It turns out that this isn't the case (in this version at least), as we see Sonic smash through a wall at 2:57 in the video.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sega Shinsaku Soft Video Vol. 07
    For the record.

If you can get ahold of Volume 6, you might see footage from an earlier prototype. Or footage from the same prototype. Or footage from a totally different game.

All of these videos are valuable to us - they're just a challenge to track down.

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    [​IMG]
    I have tried to reconstruct the beta special stage of Sonic 1, this is all I could make out.

I cannot be sure about the red blocks which look like a goal, but I think it's the framerate which out of dumb luck is hiding the "goal" text, furthermore, I didn't bother with the cycling colours of the blocks and have chosen their default colour which occurs most during the cycle. I also have no idea of which way is up and have just chosen this way at random.

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • List
  15. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    Yeah, he/she did have vol 15 at least with Game Gear Sonic 1 but it wasn't very interesting

16. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    I've re-uploaded this to the Internet Archive for the sake of preservation: https://archive.org/details/sega-vol.-7-quixqru-2-nl-i

Very cool stuff. I'm curious how you would have entered the special stages, considering the giant ring isn't there. And I'm also wondering when, if ever, the drowning music would start playing.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    the beta special stage reminded me instantly of the sonic 4 maze layouts, lol.

18. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Volume 30 is up for the incredibly expensive price of 12,000 Yen right now (£90/Over$110)

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o273155054

19. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    I went ahead and figured out the release dates for all the games shown in this Vol. 7 and the later Vol. 15:

VOL 7: July 1991
    Sonic the Hedgehog (MD) - 1991-07-26 (video says 1991-07, no day)
    Bare Knuckle (MD) - 1991-08-02 (video says 1991-07-19)
    Wrestle War (MD) - 1991-06-28 (video says 1991-06-28)
    Eternal Legend (GG) - 1991-08-09 (video says 1991-07-26)
    Putt and Putter (GG) - 1991-09-27 (video says 1991-07-25)

VOL 15: March 1992
    Shining Force (MD) - 1992-03-20 (video says 1992-03-20)
    Toejam and Earl (MD) - 1992-03-13 (video says 1992-03-13)
    Take the "A" Train (MD) - 1992-04-10 (video says 1992-03-20)
    Turbo OutRun (MD) - 1992-03-27 (video says 1992-03-27)
    Japanese strategy game (SCD?) - no date given
    Phantasy Star Adventure (GG) - 1992-03-13 (video says 1992-03-27)
    SEGA Big Window (Super Wide Gear II?) (GG add-on) - no date given
    Sonic the Hedgehog (GG) - 1991-12-29 (no date given in video)

So that means that these tapes would have been produced once a month, starting in January 1991, like so:

07 - 07/91
    08 - 08/91
    09 - 09/91
    10 - 10/91
    11 - 11/91
    12 - 12/91
    13 - 01/92
    14 - 02/92
    15 - 03/92

It's interesting how many delays there were in the release dates. They seem to have gotten much better at that by 1992.

EDIT: This would also make that Vol. 30 tape from June of 1993.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  20. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    wow nice