don't click here

That new prototype footage of Sonic 1 going around...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MrMechanic, May 10, 2020.

1. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I... Don't know if this is new or not but...

6 min of newly discovered Sonic 1 Beta footage was uploaded back in January.

The footage is from a promotional Sega VHS tape, the build looks very similar (if not the same) as the Nick Arcade prototype.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Hey, Putt&Putter is also different in that video, there is no such bridge in the final version.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If 6 minutes of new prototype footage isn't enough to warrant its own topic, I don't know what is.

4. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    Was it common knowledge already that Sonic's unused victory pose is activated by player input? I feel robbed.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So for the record, this is volume 7 from the Sega Shinsaku Soft Video (セガ新作ソフトビデオ) series, most of which haven't been documented or archived (it was later replaced with Sega Video Magazine, which has). It was a dead end last time I looked - guess things have progressed a little.

And if it's anything like Sega Video Magazine, my guess is earlier volumes show earlier builds. Because that was the case with Sonic CD at the very least.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    Jfc that footage is great, bugs and all. I definitely wasn't aware that the victory pose replaced the normal jump animation.

7. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I truly didn't know if it was already known or not!

8. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000

I'm going to cry. I'm so happy
    This gives me TREMENDOUS hope that we'll find a beta build of Sonic 1 eventually; if there's one build we're likely going to find, it's gonna be this one! Seeing as it was clearly right at the end of development due to that many things that ended up removed were actually used here (meaning that the UFOs, the Jump Pose and the Wrecking Ball and more were just cut at the last minute) and with the INCREDIBLE amount of footage we have, it's more than likely that this build has the highest chance of survival and discoverability as I theorise that this was given to possibly a few people/groups to test and record footage, we just need to find a place to start or wait for it to come to us.

I really do think the search for Sonic 1 Beta is coming closer to an end! Let's just hope that it's still working...

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The way I see it, if it's not on our wikis, it's not known.

And if a bazillion identical forum topics turn up... incentive to update our wikis I guess!

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Holy crap:

Just some things I noticed from my watch:

GHZ:
    -rolling balls in GHZ
    -End of level sonic victory animation
    -They call Sonic "Sky blue" despite him being cobalt
    -lamp posts missing
    -Shield a top first loop is a muteki monitor instead

Marble Zone:
    -UFOs in sky
    -Looks like side-ways spikes after pushing the block are missing

Spring Yard Zone:
    -Rotating spikes in pit
    -Flashing lights before moving platforms are different
    -there is a bit with 3 bumpers overlapping
    -Two rollers instead of one

Labyrinth Zone:
    -No drowning music
    -Invincibility Box replaced with ring box before rotating spike

Special Stage:
    -Entirely different design
    -Goal blocks don't work

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  11. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Xilla

Xilla

And Streets of Rage 1 too!!

Wolf and Hawk instead of Adam and Axel, early Y.Signal, different background details, Stage 2 music slightly different.....Holy crap!!

EDIT: Difficult to hear, but the Player Select music is different too. Sounds like the same drum rhythm from Keep the Groovin' (Round 4)

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Time Out instead of Pine Pot

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Some of the poles in Spring Yard Zone are colored unlike the final game. In the final, they're solid blue, or solid purple, or occasionally blue with purple tips. At the end of the SYZ footage, they show two that are a mix of purple and blue, in a way not seen in the final game.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Filling in the blanks

- Eggman music is faster
    - There's a shield monitor at the start of Labyrinth Zone 1 - a section blocked off in the final game
    - Sonic drowns quicker
    - Missing air bubble sound effect?
    - No giant rings
    - Extra lives after 50 rings

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Non-sonic stuff here:

First glance, the monster World II game gear title screen is different from the final version, and the coin sprite is missing (the enemies are dropping garbled sprites).

17. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    As far as the boss music being faster, I believe it's moreso a bug with speedup shoes effect on the music not wearing off as it should. The music immediately before (level) and after (end of act jingle) the boss is sped up, too.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah I was about to correct myself - it's well bork.

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I'm like 99% sure the background to GHZ is different, and not just regarding starting positions. The clusters of mountains are outright different. for one, I don't see the spires used that have the bit of sky showing through them anywhere, which in mania, they redrew to be small waterfalls. This bit:

[​IMG]

I don't see it anywhere in the BG. But more than that, I've never seen this cluster of mountain tiles:

[​IMG]

Obviously it's a pattern flipped back to back, but I'm saying I don't recognize that appearing anywhere in the GHZ background.

20. Kimberly

Kimberly

Very interesting! I assume this is the same/similar build as the US commercials use, seeing the Ring is already called RingS and the 50 rings = 1 life thing is still intact. At least that verifies that no matter which S1 proto we ever will find it will always be interesting in one way or another.