don't click here

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Aug 27, 2018.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I don't think it's a hot take at all.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Unfortunately I have to agree with a lot of Mentski's rants. I still like the game, but it needs some fine tuning. Axel is too slow :(

3. Xilla

Xilla

Honestly I don't know why they didn't have a "Retry from Here" option at Game Over. Have it so that you don't get any lifetime points if you select it or something.

Or just give us a Classic Arcade Mode where you get a limited number of continues....like they should have, and again not have it contribute to the lifetime score system, only it's own dedicated leaderboard. Because let's face it, once everything is unlocked this is what you're going to want to be playing.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Gave this a go, because the series is one of my favourites.

Why can't I run or dodge? Why do enemies just flash instead of actually telegraphing their attacks? Why are enemies only either stupidly easy or stupidly hard, with no in-between? Why is Murphy a common mook now?

As someone else said earlier, it feels like a Final Fight game, not a Streets of Rage game.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    You guys should probably try playing with Cherry. I tried playing with other characters but it wasn't as fun.

6. Xilla

Xilla

Hey look, I managed to fit music from all three 16-bit games into a stage, works a bit better doesn't it?

7. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Speaking of nitpicks, while I haven't played the game myself, I've seen quite a bit of gameplay from various videos and live streams, and I have 3 audio-related gripes with the game:

1 - They kept the (great) retro sounds of picking up items, yet the satisfying sound of the "GO" prompt from Streets of Rage 2 was replaced with a limp, quieter sound which lacks oomph.

2 - Enemies play their defeat speech very quickly after they are defeated, and not while their bodies are flashing to non-existence. I feel that this nice detail from older Streets of Rage games being absent makes for a less satisfying defeat of enemies.

3 - The stage clear music is too quiet and incredibly underwhelming; it severely lacks any satisfying melody to match the action of clearing a stage.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    1 - yes the inconsistent use of legacy sound effects is strange.

2 - Actually, 1 and 3 enemies played their death screams immediately upon defeat, only 2 had it happen when they hit the floor and fade away. Kinda ironic 4 uses this method given how much they tried to model the game after 2.

3 - On top of that, the STAGE X START/CLEAR text is way too small

9. Xilla

Xilla

2's bosses screamed upon the final hit too.

10. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Ah, thanks for the correction on my 2nd point, my bad! (I am most familiar with Streets of Rage 2.) In that case, I still would prefer if they handled it how Streets of Rage 2 did, as it feels slightly more impactful and satisfying.

I also agree with you that the text is too small. This is a particular issue considering that Streets of Rage 4 is a natively widescreen game, so there's extra blank space to the left and right of the text.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Much better....should have been done that way, rather than the half-ass effort they put instead.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I thought that Lizardcube was responsible of something more than just the art in this game, but nope.

EDIT: Oh my god, what's with the music in the + - retro easter egg   levels?
    Also, It almost sounds like they're slapping sand bags, here... I swear I've just seen a Bud Spencer game with more satisfying punch sound effects. =P

Is the actual game that much better than it seems in footage? Despite the good reviews (mostly from people who get games and merchandise for free), seeing some of the critical reactions here (most of which sadly aren't being published as actual reviews) is making me think that this game might not end up aging so well, once it's not the "latest retro fad" anymore...

EDIT 2: Looks like they took a jab at those who wanted pixel art.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
  14. Can't wait to play this game. Well... I guess I'm gonna have to since I bought the physical version.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I understand some of the nitpicks people have here but it's currently my favorite SoR game. For now anyway, we'll see how the game hold up in a few years.
    I soon as I started playing, and up until the end, I was immersed in that amazing Streets of Rage spirit that strangely wasn't too present in the trailers, I found. One of my favorite game of the year so far.

(also, this is literally the only place I see people complaining about the game, every other community I'm a part of loved it:V)

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Does the Streets of Rage fandom love the game or are they talking about these things too?

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I'm not aware of any big SoR forum, but the subreddit loves it. A big complain I see over here too is that the characters are too slow and lack the dodge from SoR3, which makes me very happy I picked Cherry for my first playthrough, 'cause I didn't feel that way at all. Seems like I dodged a bullet.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I was actually talking about the Streets of Rage Online's website's forums but it seems those are down.

19. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    For the most part yes, but you have the occasional rando who is massively butthurt about this game because WHAAAAA MY PIXELS

20. I'll give most of the other stuff, but as someone who went through the default difficulty levels of 2 and 3, I... kinda don't see how that's all that different from the older games, outside people's complaints about the bosses having prolonged iframes to do stuff you're just meant to dodge. My SoR runs pretty much all go "It was really easy until this one boss/part part sucked up my lives and continues", and it was usually some mid-game gimmick rather than the final boss like you'd normally expect. (I ESPECIALLY hate the bulldozer in 3. Nothing's more frustrating than building up all them star levels and then having them be eaten up by a one-off gimmick mid-boss that just keeps charging at you while you want to throw your attention at a tough-to-break wall that's on your opposite side.)