don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I remember just a small amount of people asking about it that died off pretty quickly after all the cut scenes were upload to YouTube shortly after the game came out.

2. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I remember it being one of the things people kept asking about for quite a while after the game came out

3. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I'm seeing big differences in the Vector's running sprites from Knuckles' Chaotix. Do the PAL and NTSC versions of the game have unique sprite-work and is this well know?

[​IMG]
    The left is sprite rips from Spriter's Resource and the right is ripped by me from the NTSC version of the game.
    The sprite from SR is slimmer and has only four shades of green and the one I ripped is thick and using all 6 shades of green.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I fired up the 1207 prototype - that less colourful vector seems to come from there. Final NTSC and PAL versions use your rip.

Someone ought to wiki that (with comparisons).

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  6. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I don't have the prototype so I can't compare, but I wonder if any other characters are affected. So far I haven't seen any other major differences between the game and the sprite rips.

Also, this goes to show that Vector was likely the last character to be worked on since he seems to be the most undercooked with only forlur shades of green in the majority of his sprites and he's lacking animations that other characters have (even Charmy)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It seems to be in beta, so most people haven't played it yet. Weird how one of the 1st collabs for this random thing is Sonic related.

9. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I find it interesting they're using the Robotnik name since in recent years it was only used very rarely in the games

10. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    That explains a lot! I actually provided a "translation" (using Google Translation) to the CD Sonic article a few months ago, https://info.sonicretro.org/Talk:Game_Preview_-_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD_(Sega_Summer_Catalogue,_1992). It's rough, but I still hope it gives some insight what the article actually says.

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Hey, was macOS support always available for the Steam rereleases of the Genesis Sonic games? I'm just noticing this and while it makes complete sense (they're just emulated, after all), I feel like I recall just Windows being there.

12. MH MD

MH MD

Not that weird, there is already a connection

it has a short CG movie from Marza Animation, who are known for doing CG work for sonic games -and the sonic movie-

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sega OWNS Marza by the way.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I stopped watching the 6 o'clock news on BBC One some weeks ago. Now it's all about Richard Osman's House of Games on BBC Two.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  16. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    The next article for my site is going to be SegaSonic the Hedgehog. Here's the pattern viewer I got working (finally):

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or one of the first and those are remnants of having to work with the Mega Drive palette limitations.

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Question... I'd imagine the answer is appropriate for this thread? I apologize if not.. please trash if deemed so.

In Sonic 1, There is a check for the console, whether or not the game is running on a Japanese console. If it is, it masks, or outright removes, the 'TM' on the SEGA and Title logos, respectively. Anyone know why that is?

19. Neo Geo MVS

Neo Geo MVS

Giga Power Pro-Gear Spec Oldbie
    In Japan, the ™ symbol is not commonly used for trademarks.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    A good chunk of Mega Drive (and Game Gear) games do that - most(?) are documented on Sega Retro (including games that weren't released in Japan but have this code anyway).

™ is meaningless in Japan, so there's no point in keeping it around. Several Western produced games don't tend to bother though, or they remove some and not others.

The dodgy one is the registered trademark symbol (®) - it can carry penalties if used in correctly. Early Mega Drive games have it in their Sega logos, but they mysteriously disappeared around 1990, which makes me wonder if its usage was entirely legal.

The Sega logo didn't offically get a ® until 2000 when the corporate name changed.