don't click here

Sonic 30th Anniversary Topic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Frozen, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    I'd be down for Generations again, but more than that I think it'd be cool if they bundled it with Unleashed and Colours. Maybe sweet talk Nintendo into letting Colours onto other platforms in exchange for getting Generations and Unleashed on the Switch.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat

If they’re gonna remake or update games I’d rather they do Game Gear ones.

Make them full 16 bit Genesis style with some added elements. Basically Special Editions.

There is a fan created first level of Triple Trouble on YouTube.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Did I miss something? Sega wouldn't have to sweet talk Nintendo at all.

And?

4. Wildcat

Wildcat

It’s a good example of what a Game Gear game could look like in 16bit. They should do a Game Gear Collection like that.

5. Wafer

Wafer

Back in the day, Colours was part of an exclusivity deal, wasn't it? I'm no contract lawyer, but I kinda assumed that's why Colours never got any HD love.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Nah, there wasn't an exclusivity deal with Colors. Sega just knew the Wii and DS would attract a wider audience because of the Mario & Sonic games. Lost World and the Boom games were part of an exclusivity deal though; that's why the Windows version of Lost World didn't come out for two full years after the console version, and probably why the Taxman/Stealth remasters didn't see a release beyond mobile.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  7. Wafer

Wafer

Huh, I was sure that Lost World/Boom was a second exclusivity deal, I even have a memory of thinking "oh, they're doing another three" and also that the Storybook games were part of the same deal as Colours.

BUT I can't find anything online about this, and I trust your memory more than my own anyway :)

Next up, on Wafer's Corporate Entity Headcanon: Paramount changed the Movie Sonic design because they learnt from how Trekkies responded to Star Trek Beyond trailers. In this essay I will

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I thought the issue with Colors wasn't that it was part of an exclusivity deal, but it heavily used programming code from Nintendo's Wii library which makes it difficult to port (as they'd have to re-write all the Wii library Code).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    That could be part of it, but I did some research and it essentially boils down to that Sega just thought the Wii and DS were a better fit. Colors was aimed squarely at younger Sonic fans, and Nintendo's systems were just the best place to reach them. Plus, both '06 and Unleashed were heavily promoted 360/PS3 games and ended up being critical disappointments, so that could've also played a role.

However, I do think an HD rerelease of Colors with some new bells and whistles, like a better final boss with Super Sonic and Tails as a playable character, would be more than welcome, especially with the 30th anniversary coming up.