don't click here

Is there good reason anymore to have 2 Sonic designs?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by High Fidelity, Mar 1, 2020.

1. This was something I was thinking about earlier.

Is there really a need anymore to have both modern and classic designs coexist?

Do you think it would be better for Sega to just merge the 2 designs somehow, keeping it simpler for the franchise?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about having only 1 timeline/dimension/universe/whatever rather than the 2 we have now with classic and modern.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. RDNexus

RDNexus

Merge both designs? In what sense?
    The problem, in my humble opinion, isn't that there are two designs, but rather a timeline many people decided to split into two (Classic & Modern Timelines) from as soon as SA1, and Iizuka, in his usual dumbness, deciding to abide by that division in the community and feed it time and again.

It's not the designs per se that should be merged, but rather the timelines, to fix it all once and for all. Or simply reboot the series as we know it.
    But it seems such things may never come to pass. And with Sonic 2020 getting quite the nice reception worldwide, who knows what SEGA may have in store for that new continuity... :eyebrow:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  3. As in just have 1 design moving forward, that has a design somewhere inbetween the 2.

My worry is that while it's not really confusing for us lot, for new people and kids it's like 'why is there 2 Sonic's on this art' - it just doesn't really make sense anymore after the whole generations era, IMO.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat

In my mind Modern Sonic is the same character. Just older since he looks taller and slimmer. Same with the others too. Generations implies they’re the same.

Forces makes Classic out like a separate universe I guess. Is this what upsets some people?

5. I'm not sure that it upsets people, just that it could get confusing.

I don't think it's necessarily very good for the 'brand' to have all these different styles of Sonic either

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I've mentioned this in another topic, but this "people are confused about all the different Sonic designs" situation that I've seen talked about so much here doesn't really exist: most people don't even realize there's three different Sonic (4 with the movie).

To be honest, I never liked the fact that Sega kept bringing back classic Sonic after Generations, which should've been a one time thing imo. But still, I don't think this is confusing for anyone.
    Us Sonic fan know all about the different versions of the character, and the casual audience don't even know there's different versions of the character. Simple as that.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat

I guess it could be confusing if you’re not already into it but it’s easy to understand right away once you check it out. Even Movie Sonic looks like Modern just detailed...and the arms of course.

Other popular series have multiple versions of their characters. Like TMNT has the comics, old cartoon, new cartoons and movies all being used in some way at the same time.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Yeah most people are oblivious to the different designs. I think Sega's drawn attention to the difference by trying to position Classic and Modern Sonic as different characters with different histories and play styles.

Mario frequently shifts between different designs and no one blinks an eye lid. Take something like Mario Maker 2, which has 4 different designs of Mario and that doesn't even include all the spin-offs like Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi which are treated as separate universes.

Mario Odyssey had sections where you could play as the original 2D Mario Bros Mario (from the first Nes game) and they didn’t come up with a story about different dimensions and such, he just switched to his old design and then switched backed when the segment was over.

I guess with Sonic, having Classic Sonic as a separate continuity feels like a fresh reboot for the series where we don’t have all these clone characters, or continuity baggage or a legacy of stinkers. But then in Mania Plus, they brought back Ray and Mighty (which I'd lovingly consider to be the "original Sonic clones" :P) and we'll probably see more characters and playstyles being added on, so in the long run Classic Sonic probably won't end up being that much 'cleaner' than modern Sonic.

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

I never split Classic & Modern Sonic.
    Since SA1 that I've known that Sonic's classic design was simply updated, modernized.
    And I've loved it ever since, so to say.
    I like Classic Sonic, but Modern seems more fitting to the franchise's current iteration.

10. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Absolutely, it’s super unnatural to have two Sonics at the same time. But I guess that’s what makes him so special. Even though it might seem like it’s the next logical step, a mix between the two would be like cheating. We come full circle again. Maybe us Sonic fans should just learn how to say “yes” instead of waffling. Lol

11. Seeing others opinions on this, it seems that it isn't as much of an issue as I thought it was.

Must admit I'm a little surprised, I thought it might have been a big annoyance for some.

Just me then haha

12. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Nah, it’s fine imo. But what baffles me is why Modern Sonic, in 2D, is such a wonky affair and there is no 3D Classic Sonic game yet.

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Meh, as someone who prefers the Genesis designs first and foremost I’m glad they’ve actually brought it back for new games that are supposed to follow on the Genesis titles. As long as you make a point that its the same characters/same world in a different frame of lens, it doesn’t hurt to have a few different visual interpretations. As previously noted, other properties (namely Mario) have been able to handle this just fine.

The real problem IMO is the insistence of Genesis Sonic and company needing to be separate characters from the Millennium counterparts, by designating them into different dimensions or timelines. All that has done is make the continuity more convoluted than it already is and force arbitrary rules that really don’t need to be there if you want to make a game with a specific style in mind.

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Who was saying there were separate timelines all the way back in 1999? I never heard anything of the sort until Generations.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. With the exception of the hardcore idiots (OHMAIGOD SONIC HAS GREEN EYES IMMA KILL MYSELF!!!), no one is likely to notice the differences because they're not that different. Modern is taller, with longer spines and green eyes, a slightly slimmer belly, and maybe a darker blue. That's it. I mean how many kids would notice the difference if you showed them the chubby Pikachu from Gen 1?

15. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Gimme 20 Sonics. Make 'em all canon. I'm ready for Sonic: Into the Hedgehog-verse.

16. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    That sounds like a job for Paramount.

17. Powpuck

Powpuck

Having several designs is the norm. What isn't the norm is treating them as separate/divergent entities. I can't think of an example of that doing well, at least in the long-run. Mega Man did it arguably the best, yet it still ran aground eventually, and now only classic MM is around these days if only just.

On one hand, even with each iteration having its own "flavor," it can't be expected of the uninitiated to parse it all, and you risk disengaging them, especially if there is a glut as demonstrated by Mega Man before that IP went cold. On the other, you risk frustrating those who can parse the difference and are left feeling "their" preferred iteration is neglected in favor of another.

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam might've been well received for all I know; I personally lost all interest in RPG Mario after Bowser's Inside Story. The lack of further incestuous crossovers suggests it wasn't a sales high.

18. Pengi

Pengi

Exactly. And when people can tell the difference, they know "that's the movie version", "that's the old school version".

You see this with all long-running pop-culture brands. Take Ninja Turtles or Transformers for example. The kid focused merchandise will usually be of what's current - the latest cartoon, the latest movie. Whereas adult sized t-shirts and high-end collectibles will feature the vintage versions that they grew up with.

In terms of the actual video games, we've seen Classic Sonic pop up in three core titles:

Sonic Generations: A celebratory anniversary game
    Sonic Mania: A throwback to the Mega Drive games
    Sonic Forces: A hodgepodge of recycled content and under-baked ideas

It didn't make any sense having Classic Sonic in Forces, but it absolutely made sense having the classic designs in Generations and Mania.

19. RDNexus

RDNexus

Ahh... DiC Sonic, Archie Sonic, Classic Sonic, Modern Sonic, Boom Sonic, Movie Sonic...
    You want more? I think these may be enough for such a crossover project :V

20. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Fleetway Sonic, Sonic the Humans (there's at least 2 I can think of). And naturally throw in some side characters like the Knothole Freedom Fighters, Scratch and Grounder, Manic and Sonia (DiC Sonic bizarrely knows all of them), Porker Lewis and Johnny Lightfoot, Chris Thorndyke, Agent Stone, Whisper. Just go crazy! Evil Sonic from the Virgin paperback where Sonic absorbed the Chaos energy instead of Kintobor! JSR Sonic! Golden Axe Sonic! Nights Sonic! Ristar is also there for some reason that nobody can figure out?!???!

Nah. Give all of the Sonic Sonics exactly one zone each and their own individual play styles and call it Sonic Forces 2.