don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat

New to the boards. Thought the movie was great. My only complaint, which is one I’ve seen a few others bring up, is the final battle goes by too fast. The whole movie does seem to go by fast but the ending is what you’re leading up to.

Still it matched the games and after thinking about it a huge fight probably wouldn’t have made a lot of sense since it’s the first meeting. Even all the boss fights the first game are pretty basic. They didn’t become more elaborate til later on.

I know some prefer a completely animated movie. I’d obviously support one but I’ve always wanted a live action Sonic. Like I’ve always wanted “real” Sonic. I didn’t hate the first design as much as others but he definitely turned out perfect imo. Redoing him was the best decision.

Overall I think it was very well put together and was quite accurate to the source material even if it did not take place on his planet. Which I don’t think would have worked the first time because Robotnik would not have been there yet to unleash robots and such.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They could call it "Look who's running now!". :V

3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I hate the fact that the only post reaction applicable to this is "like", when what you just said is physically painful to me hahahahahahah

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Ok I laughed at this but still... don't give them ideas, dammit. XD

5. RDNexus

RDNexus

Having finally seen the movie, I gotta agree with people here who said it feels like a family, campy and quite americanized iteration of Sonic's story.
    Still, given it was originally conceived in Japan with western audiences in mind, I don't see much of an issue in that.

But... it seems stuff from the original trailer, when Sonic had its original design, didn't make it the final cut of the movie.
    Maybe a DC version of the movie may get such scenes back, or bring a version of the full movie with the original design.

6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    To the first, movies shoot scenes specifically for trailers all the time. That's nothing usual. To the second, considering that there never was a fully complete movie with the original design, and the bad press that design got (for good reason), they wouldn't waste the time or money.

7. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    this is extremely true for kid's movies. for some reason they tend to have this more often than other kinds of films (unless they are editing disasters, like The Snowman from a couple of years ago).

9. Pengi

Pengi

• Like Like x 4
    • List
  10. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Saw it tonight and honestly was rather disappointed. I think all the good press must have raised my expectations a bit much. The opening scene and last battle were solid, but everything in between just felt like a lot of nothing. Like Sonic could've been replaced with some original character and it would be no different. I just can't accept the "Sonic in the real world" plot as a good idea, especially with how beautiful the opening Green Hill scene was, imagine other zones with that big-budget CG. Just overall felt like a generic family film with almost zero of the audio/visual style of the games (old and new) that I love so much.

That all being said, commendation is due for actually updating Sonic's design and doing a fine job with it. I didn't expect they would follow through with it when it was first announced, and that alone made my ticket worth it, I'd say.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'd give it credit that is has given a decent enough origin for Robotnik as a base for any future films, that makes it more interesting to me than if it was entirely set in Sonic's world and Robotnik was just... Robotnik. He's a human so the link is already there in games to the real world you could say. Double the length of the movie and add more other world stuff in after, sure, I'd take that.

12. Fadaway

Fadaway

The Sonic-in-the-real-world concept, to me, is straight up ergonomics. I've thought about it and a fully CG film, while sounding like a gorgeous endeavor, may come across like an extended cut scene. Then, what about Eggman? Would he be CG or played by a human actor? Sonic interacting with humans isn't unprecedented. I think, from a film standpoint, it makes sense. It is a cliched concept but I thought the characters were enjoyable.

13. Wildcat

Wildcat

Ya I’ve never really understood why some think Sonic-in-real-world does not work. The games already set him with humans and he’s always been here if you ignore the mobius way.

I think the intro looked better than a cut scene but a fully cg animated movie (like minions) would be more like a big video game cut scene. Which would be fine but then visually it’s too close to a game.

Also if it was entirely set on Sonic’s world how would Robotnik even be there? In the games, if you go with the mobius way, sure I can buy he’s a super advanced scientist that landed in Sonic’s world or maybe found a way to teleport places...but a movie would need a good explanation for this first.

I agree how the movie portrayed it was basically the perfect way to have Robotnik end up there giving him another reason to get back at Sonic.

14. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
  15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Probably a safe assumption they'd do that base covering just in case, doesn't necessarily mean they'll happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Exactly.

See: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 4.

17. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I am reminded of sadness. I am now sad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Don't be so sad, at least we can try the completely generic prototype of its game adaptation! :V

19. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    well, at least some aspects of the planned script for it ended up in Into The Spider-Verse...

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e65df81c5b6055728074ce1

While this article mostly talks about Pixar's Onward, it mentions that globally Sonic's made like $296 million globally. It was also 4th this past weekend, but it has been out for like 4 weekends.

I'm guessing the coronavirus is to blame for low movie attendance overall.