don't click here

SEGA launches the Sonic 2020 project, promises to release Sonic news on the 20th of every month

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DreamsComeBlue, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I want a high resolution scan of the page that says TAN ARMS.

2. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    Something to note, and it's kinda curious.

Sonic X has gotten a recent big push in Japan this year. Kids Station is re-airing the older episodes, there's been a push of the episodes on Netflix in Japan (and world wide), with only the first 52 available, and 53 onwards will air for the first time in Japan this year. Plus, there's been some big push for marketing campaigns in general for Sonic in Japan right now.

Given the Japan specific target of these announcements, it leads me to believe some of these are related to (but could be off base):

- Animation Projects
    - Manga Projects
    - Specific tie-in events in Japan to celebrate Sonic
    - Merchandising line, specific to Japanese fans.
    - Japanese Produced Sonic game (which will probably see a worldwide release, because that's just how that is)
    - Plans to announce how 53+ will air for Sonic X in Japan.

(Worth noting the last point could be announced there, or elsewhere. But given Kids Station run for the first series on March 19th (baring preemptions), an update with that information could happen there. )

This various things that could be announced here. Something to note, as well. This year is a HUGE year for Japan, as it's the first new decade of the new era for them, and there's a TON of revival, remakes, and even sequels going on to various projects (largely animation focus). I've legit lost count how many announcements there are, it's just way too much to keep up with.

I'm really inclined to believe there will be another Japanese produced Sonic animated project, given everything else going on with various projects.

I also need to stress one last point: Sonic, although not as big as the west, wasn't a complete failure in Japan and used to sell well. Something happened after the mid-00s, where sales for Sonic just dropped exponentially. It could have just been fatigue, but the sales kinda started reaching more at the level of "Otaku" market sales some point around 06 or so, which, there is absolutely a sizeable adult fandom that supports the games and stuff in Japan, but it's absolutely kinda lost appeal towards Kids.

For all we know, Sega may have a plan, specific to Japan, to try and refocus Sonic and try to get a new generation interested. There's so many revival projects going on, some of which are reboots, so I wonder...

Either way, TL;DR, post is purely speculating, but having said that, we on the outside have no idea what plans are. It's just worth pointing out what they could "maybe" be, as well as what's going on with Sonic in Japan right now and the whole fact a lot of revival/remakes/sequels are coming about this year for other projects.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Prototype

Prototype

It's entirely possible that the "snarky Western Sonic with attitude" traits, which were always part of Western Sonic lore, but less so with Japan's Sonic lore, just didn't play well in Japan. If the stereotype of Japanese mothers is correct with many not wanting their children to be "delinquents", then the attitude focus within the games themselves during the Dreamcast era and onwards could have been more of a turn-off to potential buyers than say, the original games where without an external media source you were pretty much free to interpret Sonic's character however you wish.

It could have started out as "cuddly Arcade mascot with cute toys", and then through a combination of 'Tude-ifying the character and the general perception of Arcade goers being less respectful than their pre-videogame forebears, or some other variable, it just fell out of favor.

The potential resurgence in Japan interests me though. I have to wonder, was it due to a return to the Classic cutesy design and the success of Mania? Is it the upcoming movie? At the very least it feels like they consider it safe enough to reintroduce Sonic as an IP outside of poorly-thought-out Hooters promotions.

Anyone know what the general reaction was for Mania outside of the West?

4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    At one point Mania hit 1 million downloads worldwide; when it came out in Japan it was #3 on the Nintendo eShop, behind Minecraft and Splatoon.

From the second quarter report from Sega/Sammy's site:
    They called out Sonic Mania by name, so clearly it made an impact on them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Starting February 2020, SEGA will be holding a new live stream series on the 20th of every month, called Sonic Station Live, which will run throughout 2020.

Official Tweet. Gematsu article.

[​IMG]

I wonder if this is going to be SEGA's equivalent of Nintendo Direct and State of Play? Would be nice to have an English version as well. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • List
  6. MH MD

MH MD

Funny we got a Sonic direct before a new nintendo direct :V

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    • Like Like x 7
    • List
  8. Vangar

Vangar

They better damn well provide it with english subtitles or it won't be like nintendo direct at all ...

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is that Green Hill in the background the one from Generations or something new?

I was wondering that too, I think it's the first time I see it.

10. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Looks like it's from Sonic Generations.

11. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    for all the references to Chip, and Chao, they never seem to want to port or make games that have them. :V

12. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    Twitch Streams
    I thought you knew, the extended Sonic cast only exists in a bubble where they're only allowed to show up in non-game media or in non-important roles. :V

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Even they know that was the last 3d Sonic game

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I mean... They use that background for virtually everything. It's been in constant use since 2011.

15. MH MD

MH MD

Small reminder that the stream will go up in 10 hours from now

16. MH MD

MH MD

stream is on and just reiterating known news for japanese audience, Sonic Olympics for mobile, sonic 2 switch version , so nothing new really

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It feels like the Japanese equivalent of the streams that SEGA America do. It's pretty cool. And considering how Senoue and Hoshino have both made guest appearances on the American streams, I can only guess that the two of them at least wanted to try these stands for themselves for the Japanese audience. It's nice to see, even if the only word I understand is Sonikku.

Link for anyone curious:

18. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Live stream starts with Jun Senoue playing Station Square music from Sonic Adventure on guitar. Live stream ends with Station Square visuals from Sonic Adventure in the background. Hmmm... :-3

... I'm not reading too much into this unless a related announcement happens at like SXSW or something, but yeah, neat of them to do that regardless. :)

Edit: Okay yeah, I'm super tired right now and not connecting obvious dots. Cheers @Pengi, haha. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  19. Pengi

Pengi

It's most likely because the show is called Sonic Station Live.

Was anything interesting said in the listener mail/Q&A section?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    1:0 for Jun who did all the talking. :colbert:

I didn’t catch much, but what I understood (my Japanese is poor at best) was that someone asked for their favourite food (Hoshino-san: meat, Jun: Mexican food). Lol