don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member

Like seriously...I remember in that long article about the situation how Sega got more aggressive towards how they treated Archie after this went down. The biggest being that they went from a contract that was renewed without question to being "reviewed" yearly and with a clear right to move on to other publishers or have them republish the Archie comics as they saw fit.

There's every reason to blame Penders for this.

They also started actually enforcing the mandates after. It's why suddenly Sonic's comic family, Tails comic family, and the other additional mythology added to the characters just for the comics just up and vanished.

Without the lawsuit there was absolutely no reason to end the Archie comics considering they sold very well and had an established fan-base. This lawsuit made them reconsider who they were doing business with and after a few years, and after the World's Unite crossover didn't do as well as they wanted, they decided it was time to end it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  2. Pengi

Pengi

All of the pre-Flynn comic-exclusive characters were dropped.

3. Mana

Mana

I'm aware.

What are you trying to say?

4. Pengi

Pengi

That it has nothing to do with Sega enforcing stricter mandates. They stopped using characters created by previous freelancers they didn’t have work-for-hire contracts for.

5. Mana

Mana

Ian Flynn literally said they told them the game characters couldn't have family members not in the comics.

That's why Uncle Chuck became "everyone's" Uncle instead of just Sonic's

6. Pengi

Pengi

That happened before the Ken Penders situation. They still used Tails’ parents, they just didn’t refer to them as such.

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    What Penders tweeted last night:
    The man finally says something of moderate intelligence. (I personally think it was in no way bad, but was Eilish really the best choice?)

8. Chillbro Swaggins

Chillbro Swaggins

My general rule is to wait until this thread falls off the front page before I catch up on Ken's Twitter, so I thought it was almost time... and then Joebro tried to steal my job!!!! Let me show you how the real professional fisks a stranger's tweets behind his back for free on a Sonic the Hedgehog message board!

-----
    TWITTER 01/23/2020

I received some great news from my Sound Editor Jim Christopher who called this morning to tell me the sound editing for my film THE REPUBLIC is now complete and he's well underway working on the final sound mix, which I'll be reviewing this coming Wednesday. Stay tuned.

Something is off about this tweet. But what? While I think it over, here is guest commentary on the above tweet, also from Twitter:

Where will we see it YouTube, here on your Twitter or your web site?

-----
    TWITTER 02/12

Ken's response?

Hopefully, none of those. I’m hoping to open this on a bigger platform and have people working to make it happen.

I wish his reply had been limited to that first sentence for maximum comedy; with the second sentence it is only mildly amusing. But wait a second! I remember what seemed off about Ken's initial tweet: the fact that it clashes with another tweet he made from the recent past. I will now place the two tweets side by side:

I received some great news from my Sound Editor Jim Christopher who called this morning to tell me the sound editing for my film THE REPUBLIC is now complete and he's well underway working on the final sound mix, which I'll be reviewing this coming Wednesday. Stay tuned. [01/23/2020]

I spent the day with our sound guru Jim Christopher - I hate using the term "sound editor" as Jim's responsibilities encompass so much more - working on the sound mix for the opening segment. [11/06/2019]

Maybe Jim got demoted.

It’s official. I will be appearing in the Artists Alley at @WonderCon
    happening during April 10 - 12. More details to come. Hope to see you there.

Now you know.

-----
    TWITTER 01/29/2020

May I present -- the finished @StarTrek DISCOVERY cover art. This was an experiment, rendered in brush and pen, and the only art featuring this subject matter I will ever produce. I'll be putting this up for sale on EBay soon.

[​IMG]

More than one person has declared that Ken's drawings of people are far more appealing than his drawings of animals, and more than one has pointed to the same few panels of Star Trek comic as proof. And indeed this cover art, also of Star Trek, looks really good, in my humble opinion. So of course he claims that he will never produce art related to "this subject matter" ever again. Hmmm. Well, it's not like the art comes out when he says it is coming out either. To wit:

I'm now working on the cover art for THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES: BEGINNINGS. I hope to have something to show very soon. Stay tuned for more details.

It's good to have hope.

-----
    TWITTER 01/31/2020

The really scary thing when you watch my film THE REPUBLIC once it's available will be the realization that today's real life events make the events occurring in the film an actual possibility, which amazes me as it was written and filmed 10 YEARS AGO.

From THE REPUBLIC'S IMBD page (LOL): What happens to a typical America family when the government collapses? How does a family stay together through bad water, food shortages, power outages, and burgeoning civil war? Can they fight back? Or it is too late?

Also from THE REPUBLIC'S IMBD page: 5.2/10.

There is also for some reason a Facebook page for THE REPUBLIC (!) which appears to still receive regular updates (!!!), although the posts there seem to offer the same information as Ken's tweets. Not regularly updated is the link on the side of that page, http://www.therepublictv.com; click the link if you wish to visit a Japanese website that appears to have no connection whatsoever to THE REPUBLIC.

-----

TWITTER: 02/05/2020

Things that never occur to oneself until the occasion warrants it: toenails on a female Echyd'nya, which resulted because I decided to draw Lara-Su with sandals instead of her boots. The level of detail when it comes to world building never ends.

Presented without further comment.

-----
    TWITTER 02/08/2020

My first thought is I would treat Shade as a Multiverse version of Julie-Su because where you see differences, I see similarities. As I don’t wish to see this devolve into an argument, let’s agree to disagree as I do believe in your right to express an opinion.

What a magnanimous gesture.

-----
    TWITTER 02/10/2020

I’m sorry, but @billieeilish attempting to sing YESTERDAY was way too painful. It’s beyond her vocal range and in many ways was not an ideal choice for the IN MEMORIAM segment. (The Beatles’s classic song IN MY LIFE would’ve been a much better choice, but still out of her range.)

At last we come full circle. Such regular recommendations and comments as this tend to come across as comical if you notice the juxtaposition between the tone he adopts while giving them--like that of a world-weary traveller chortling at the plebeians--and the quality of some of his artistic endeavors.

The remaining 90% of his tweets are fiercely political and as such I cannot touch upon them here, but I should note that not once but at least twice in recent history he has unfavorably compared the alleged incompetence of his enemies to that of "Archie's lawyers." I think there are a few reasons to be amused by that, not least of all because it does lend itself to the interpretation that he only won the infamous lawsuit by default.

Take THAT, Joebro!

-----

!!!!!SPECIAL BONUS EMERGENCY UPDATE!!!!!

TWITTER 02/12/2020

Comics Of The Day: With the Coronavirus a hot topic of concern and conversation, I recommend checking out Action Comics issues 363 thru 366, in which the Man of Steel is exposed to a deadly virus and becomes The Leper From Krypton. A moving story with great art by Ross Andru.

[​IMG]

That global pandemic killing everyone reminds me of this one comic storyline. Come check out how the MAN OF STEEL was infected, much like how 60% of the earth's population might be infected by the Coronavirus according to one estimate. Good art, topical story.

I missed this on my first sweep because I thought it was just another unremarkable recommendation, not realizing that Ken's unexpected pitch might make it, much like the Coronavirus, a hot topic of discussion.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Why does this man exist

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Why did he specify 'female'? Do the men not have toenails? Why have I been made to think about this?

---

Oh hey, the writer of that article from before did one for New York magazine. Rising up the echeladder! It's nothing we haven't heard before if you're a follower of this thread and the comics, but I liked her last one, it's related, and it's a good read.

11. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    "What's Ken Penders up to?" He regrets asking...

OH CRIPES--

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I honestly wonder how Sega's going to react when Penders attempts to use his totally original characters like Scourge the Hedgehog and Robo-Robotnik in the Lara-Su Chronicles. Perhaps the boomerang he threw at Archie will come back and completely annihilate him.

13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I'm fucking annoyed at how he has decided his shitty furry art is what he wants to pour his talents into, instead of maybe some mildly interesting Star Trek fanfic.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Trek has enough problems to deal with right now without Penders getting more involved.

15. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    That was a really good article. And it seems that Ken is already throwing a tantrum in response.

16. Mana

Mana

I understand what your'e saying now and you're right they stopped using the other characters but they also DID state that the main cast couldn't have family directly related to them anymore. That's why they couldn't just make new parents for Sonic during the reboot or something.

My bad.

17. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    But what about Sally's Dad? Couldn't King Acorn have stayed since he was there since practically the Start (and was even in SatAM)?

18. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    The vibe I'm getting just reading through this is that SEGA is trying to distance themselves from this crap in general, and just maybe they are actually trying to buckle down on their lore and give Sonic a consistent identity fucking finally.

SatAM was great and all but Ken Penders really dicked over its legacy.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    King Acorn did stay. He was heavily redesigned and took on a nicer personality than the dick he became pre reboot. I don't think Sega cares about Archie characters having parents, just the main Sega cast couldn't (so Sonic, Tails, obviously Knuckles their parents were gone, but Sally and Rotor still had dads)

They also kept Uncle Chuck, but he kinda became like the vague kinda uncle of everyone

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'd say Penders' work was to SatAM what SatAM was to the games. They both took the source material and put their own spin on it, twisting it into something unrecognizable.

From what I understand, that's the case. Sega doesn't like adaptations messing with the game characters, but non-game characters are fair game.